Honored Contributor

Re: UNFORTUNATE TREND TOWARDS PERFECTION

While I don't share the OP's level of concern or disdain regarding the subject at hand, I also don't think it's particularly kosher to tell another poster their point of view is not valid... It assumes one has all the answers and while there are clearly those who assume they do... odds are, they're incorrect...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

The digital camera is about 13 years old, the smart phone with a camera is about 10 years old and inbetween them social media exploded.

Now young people are tethered to their phones taking and posting endless photos and selfies to their social media account. Nobody's life is like an instagram photo or videoclip either. Apps make it easy to filter and change the photos and videos to show a beauty and perfection that doesn't exist in reality.

But even in the past magazines always retouched every photo, especially the beauty ones. You just didn't see the obsession for perfection as much although it was there.

Honored Contributor

@mollyugs. That was my point exactly. Mascara ads use false eyelashes...an example of unattainable beauty. Shampoo commercials add volume to models' hair w/ extensions, etc.

Print ads & magazine covers can photoshop out zits, wrinkles, change thinning hairlines...the world is made to appear perfect and some women try to compete. It's a losing battle unless you have a magic mirror.

BTW, I'm not one who tries to reach any beauty standards. Long ago I learned to embrace what sets me apart....pale skin, dark curls, green eyes, tiny stature and made them work in my favor.

Esteemed Contributor

I think it is really sad that these woman who take these perfect Instagram pictures are fake and people look up to them. I mean false eyelashes, filters on the cameras, all the contouring. Woman see that and think they will look the same with those products. Most of them are just so fake. Then to even use filters when making a YouTube video is so wrong.
Esteemed Contributor

@ccassaday - I wish I could give you more than one heart

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Regular Contributor

I received an email from Sephora that contained a link to a "natural daytime" look for Valentine's Day.  If you have the time to view it, please do.  This very young woman applies FOUR moisturizers and TWO foundations as well as multiple eye shadows, highlighters, contouring products, etc.  If you are listening to her, she finishes up by saying "it's as simple as that."  To me, what's even more ironic are the comments made by the viewers who agree that it takes that many products to achieve a natural look. 

Get Ready With Me: Valentine's Day Look | Sephora

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1ztxRTSBGU

Honored Contributor

@Shanus

Given the sentiment of your opening post either you've spent an exorbitant amount of time and money trying to achieve perfection or have given up entirely; the other side would be that you simply think the rest of us are clueless?

Respected Contributor

@Andreatoo wrote:

@Shanus

Given the sentiment of your opening post either you've spent an exorbitant amount of time and money trying to achieve perfection or have given up entirely; the other side would be that you simply think the rest of us are clueless?

I got this impression also....for myself I have always had acne and then rosacea so perfection wasn't a goal I ever had.  Clear skin yep wished for that....but as far as I know Cleopatra was using makeup back in the day and there was no beauty industry standards...no selfies being taken....some used to judge other women who painted their nails or wore rouge...as loose....or saying they are "vain".  The OP's statment and then her further comment struck me as she is happy not using any beauty products and is blessed enough not to need to perhaps?  

I am very happy about foundations being full coverage....I use what I need and go about my life without having to explain to people why I have such red skin....I look like most everyone else...normal....not perfect. 

Esteemed Contributor

Just one comment... even a change of light can filter and make one look different.  So  many easy tricks and so many carefully planned ones.  

My one feeling has always been that women are held to a different standard. Men with more than a few wrinkles are DISTINGUISHED... women are old and need something done immediately.  

Honored Contributor

I will admit that when I was younger I spent too much money on makeup.  I wished I had known then what I know now....I could have saved myself a lot of money for one thing.  I also could have put all that money to better use.

When I think of all the billions we spend on ourselves for beauty and think about all the hungry children a very few dollars feeds....well...it kind of makes me sick. Don't get me wrong, I still wear makeup and want to look as good as I can, but I think it is wise to take inventory of ourselves now and then to see if we have our priorities straight.  I think our minds are way too much on ourselves these days.