Valued Contributor

Re: Today's Chore: Makeup Purge....WHY IS IT SO HARD?????

I have the same problem. Also with cremes. Face, body. Seems everytime I went in a store or watched a presentation on TV I would end up buying something new. And because of 30 day return policy I have to open & try. So I have all these products that are opened & partially used. So about a month ago I got everything out, put it on my counter top & tried to start using from what I thought was oldest. If it breaks me out or I hate it then I toss. It is a slow process but working for me. I only kept to eye make up kits but I have like 3 foundations & tons of lipsticks/glosses. I don't know why it is so hard to throw it out. One thing for me I have realized, is we have lost our good paying jobs & are now retired. I feel like I can't afford new, need to watch my money, & I guess I feel like if I throw it out & later need it then I am out of luck. It's crazy!  I wish I could turn back time & not have bought so many!  Lesson learned now I just have to be more careful!  Glad this was posted. I needed moral support too!

Honored Contributor

It's hard for me too. It will be easy to part with foundations, concealers, and mascaras, but everything else. . .! It's especially hard for me now because of all of my favorite makeup lines changing when the company is bought by someone else. So I don't want to get rid of some of my blushes and eyeshadows. I need to part with things that don't last, and maybe save more than I planned because I won't get that formula again.

Speaking of formulas - I have a lot of the original Stila girl eye trios from over 20 years ago. They are well used, but I still HAVE them. I probably won't use them again, because they are an old formula, even though they smell fine and still look good. But the packaging is great and I just can't BEAR to through them away! (I go through this every time I "clean out"!) Smiley LOL

Honored Contributor

I was raised by a mother that lived through The Depression, the big one, where people really had a problem feeding themselves.  When I was little I was taught to darn socks, etc.  Now we live in this land of plenty and I think this reluctance stems from guilt.  DH is even worse, he will eat food on the verge of spoiling.  Not me, but its hard to get rid of anything for me, I really have to work at it.  My best solution is donate it to our local St. Vincent's store, who does a marvelous job of recylcling things at good prices for all of us in the community.  Of course, I can't donate used makeup, so here it sits until I really set my mind to discarding it. 

Honored Contributor

I am in the process of doing the same thing with my hord of make up too. but I got a stack of rolling drawers and small containers to separate it all as well as to store some of the extras. I have a ton of samples too--and I have been throwing out alot, especially eye shadows as I don't wear them much. But I wouldn't donate any make up to any charities---that grosses me out--I would never buy make up that way. Just toss them in the garbage or find a friend or fam member who wants them. Most the stuff I had, was old so I just tossed them. And I don't buy as much, if any, new make up anymore unless I need it. And I really don't wear make up like I used to either, unless I go out for an occasion.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Haircut100 wrote:

I have finally sat down with absolutely every makeup item I own along with a multitude of brushes to try and sort what I truly use, what does (and doesn't work) for me, and most importantly, to simplify.

The interesting thing is that I have no problem simplifying all other aspects of my life, and I actually consider myself a minimalist. I don't have too many shoes, handbags, jewelry, or clothes. I don't even own a lot of skin care/hair products/body products/nail products. But makeup is a different story. I accumulate and can't seem to get rid of what I didn't like, don't use, or unflattering colors. I recognize that during my lifetime I have hoarded makeup products and have had to purge many times, mostly from lack of space!

Today I sit here determined to reduce my stash for once! And it is so hard!!!! I want everything to fit into one large makeup bag, not several drawers. I travel often and deciding what to bring is the worst part of my packing! I have stopped buying makeup for a few months now and have been "shopping my stash," as they say, but I keep using the same products over and over. It's time to let go of the excess! Has that been hard for those that have tried to do the same???? I know some of you have no problem with amassing or keeping a large quantity of items around, but some of you do (and I am mostly speaking to those of you). Any advice or encouragement? Thanks

So understandable, @Haircut100!  I too, have hard time throwing out specifically makeup. Skin care - not so much. If it starts to be too many of open bottles/jars or I don't like something very much, it's easy - I try to use those up quickly on my body, hands and even legs!

But the make-up...... Oh, it's hard.  I definitely need more than I need for enjoable use, it's gets difficult to find needed items, depresses me, plus I want to have some room for the opportunity to maybe buy something new and exciting once-in-awhile again!

I think, @Haircut100 there are TWO ways to easier get rid of makeup overstock - one is to gather everything, go through it very quickly so we don't think too long about it,  and quickly create the "donate" pile. You, know for the women's shelters or Salvation Army or something like that.

The donating , psychologically will help us to part easier with those hoarded quantities and good riddance!

What will be left in a drawer will be used NOW and with pleasure, this will be "newer" and our most favorite makeup.

Now, the second choice psychologically ease up parting with overstock, is NOT go though ALL at one time, but instead, while flipping though the drawers and occasionally finding an old item, quickly look at, and toss it quickly in the trash without too much thought.  One-two at the time - no pain, and eventually gaining back the drawers space. Little by little. Smiley Happy Waiting for DDs only prolongs this "agony"....

Esteemed Contributor

Take individual photos of each of your beauty items and put them in a digital photo album and label and tag the photos so you know what you have. When you add items take new photos, when you toss, move the photo to a folder or tag them as thrown out beauty items. That way you can "see" what you own and what does and does not work for you.

Old makeup can also go bad or rancid so smell each item like lipstick to see if they are ok or if it's time to toss.

Regular Contributor

I've always hated makeup. It makes me feel my skin is asphyxiating, so i've never worn much, or bought it often. Right now I only have one blush, one foundation, one eyeshadow. However, I have a serious problem with shower gels and lotions. I haven't even made myself throw the ones I hate (Perlier's white honey... yuck!). A while back I still had a shower gel from serious skin care that was about ten years old. And I still have a smidge of Tova shower gel I bought when my son was a child. It still smells like heaven. Anyway, it's sick. I'M sick. Smiley Happy
Trusted Contributor

@Lovemyboots wrote:

I have the same problem. Also with cremes. Face, body. Seems everytime I went in a store or watched a presentation on TV I would end up buying something new. And because of 30 day return policy I have to open & try. So I have all these products that are opened & partially used. So about a month ago I got everything out, put it on my counter top & tried to start using from what I thought was oldest. If it breaks me out or I hate it then I toss. It is a slow process but working for me. I only kept to eye make up kits but I have like 3 foundations & tons of lipsticks/glosses. I don't know why it is so hard to throw it out. One thing for me I have realized, is we have lost our good paying jobs & are now retired. I feel like I can't afford new, need to watch my money, & I guess I feel like if I throw it out & later need it then I am out of luck. It's crazy!  I wish I could turn back time & not have bought so many!  Lesson learned now I just have to be more careful!  Glad this was posted. I needed moral support too!

@Lovemyboots I know it's none of my business and I really don't know you but you're breaking my heart here.  How can you possibly have too much makeup?  The amount you describe is what most women keep in their travel bags.  Some of us have over the door cabinets to store color cosmetics, and a pantry (well almost) full of skin care.  You may not be able to relate to this but my parents lived through the three big wars, two great depressions.  We had stashes of canned goods and staples.  We only bought "good"  because we might not be able to purchase that item again, it had to be good , it had to last. But you weren't supposed to use the "good"  either remember?  

Makeup is certainly cheaper than an analyst or therapist. Maintaining sanity, self image, self esteem  are worthy investments.  I'll bet if you added up the money you had no idea where it went, you know coffee, drive through, magazine  etc, spending money for the kids,  it would exponentially exceed any amount spent on cosmetics.  But those things are perishable.  You still have the concrete- that lipstick you loved until you saw it in daylight-  to remind you of that expenditure.  You ache because of the loss,  mourn, feel guilty for the waste even though proportionately, the amount is minuscule.  That kind of PTSD can make us feel guilty for indulging in even the most reasonable of "extras".   But let's remember-  women throughout history have beautified themselves.  It's instinct, its practically genetic.  Not even the Old Testament condemns a lady for wanting to be beautiful (ever read Esther?, remember Bathsheba?)   

I tried to copy and pste a photo of a lipstick tower I wish you'd buy.  It's a lazy susan Tower, holds 84 lipsticks in a space the diameter of a dinner plate. Clear acryllic, you place it on top of a good stack of acrylic drawers, just the perfect size for compacts, brushes, liners, shadows  etc.  It would be empty if you only have what you describe as left after the purge.  You could see that realtively, you have "a few"!  Some of us have spill over! 

Treat yourself well please?  Allow yourself your just portion of pampering? You aren't going to be less beautiful  if you don't, maybe just a little less "pretty" and a whole lot less "happy".

Trusted Contributor

PS:  Last year I hired a professional organizer to go through the house and toss every superfluous thing.  The $$$$  I paid would make your ears ring. But Lesson Learned-  I love to organize stuff now, they make all sorts of marvelous gadgets to properly sort and store your goods-  With all of the cheap, the misfit, mismatched stuff gone, the "good" colors and consistencies and aromas remain,  only the best of what I loved, the dresser  with the makeup towers and four tier nali polish carousel and chandelier lamp and perfume vanity tray  looks and feels like the makeup couter at a high end Brick and Mortar!  ( one thing on my bucket list accomplished)

Valued Contributor

@Haircut100, you've inspired me to pare down my stash too, including perfumes too.  My skin has recently changed quite dramatically due to "the change" (it seemed to change overnight) and a lot of my old standbys just don't work anymore, and my stash seems to have consequently exploded. I think I've also been trying to perk myself up with new makeup.

I might hang on to a few sentimental items - some Mac items I purchased on a business trip to DC back in 94!  I remember my co worker and I were so excited to go to a city that had a Mac counter (nothing in Tampa back then) we made a special side trip to get makeovers.  The funny thing is, those Mac colors suited me so well, I've kept buying them ever since (except for the Spirit lipstick), but never threw out or recycled the originals...