Contributor

Re: Tips on skipping shampoos other than using dry shampoo?

When I condition my hair then shampoo I can usually get an extra day before I have to wash it and my hair still feels nice and soft. 

As for Dry Shampoo, they are not all created equal. There are a lot of people who swear by Batiste but I hate it in my hair. I have switched to using the Living Proof Dry Shampoo and it is much better, it actually keeps my hair feeling and smelling clean. With any dry shampoo I have learned to use a light hand.

Frequent Contributor

why would you want to skip a day of shampooing? would kind of like skipping washing your left arm while in the shower?yeew

Trusted Contributor

@NAES1 wrote:

I just have a question. 

"Why would anyone have to or want to wash their hair every singe day"?

I wash everyday or most everyday because my hair gets very oily still at my advanced age of 54. I could get by with a day and a half, but by the afternoon of the second day I look greasy on top. I do use hair spray, so that probably doesn't help but I need the spray to keep some volume. I don't color treat at this point so daily shampooing doesn't seem to hurt anything. My hair is healthy otherwise. My sister has the same hair so there seems to be a genetic component.

Trusted Contributor

Sorry about the giant font size above.

Respected Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@FUTURE wrote:

What about using dry shampoo at night before bed. Then you might not have to use as much, as it will absorb oil through the night, rather than applying a bunch in the morning. 

@FUTURE This is actually the recommended way of using a dry shampoo spray.  It makes sense that it would have more of an impact on the oil than trying to combat a build up in the morning.  Ahh, one more thing to add ot the PM beauty routine, if I could only remember to do it. 

@JeanLouiseFinch every once in a while I remember to use it at night, and I'm always really proud of myself those evenings. Lol!!! Smiley Wink

Esteemed Contributor

@AspenGrove wrote:

@NAES1 wrote:

I just have a question. 

"Why would anyone have to or want to wash their hair every singe day"?

Many people, myself included, who exercise every day and therefore sweat every day, choose to wash our hair daily. Simple as that.

I agree!

After spinning daily for an hour, my face and head sweat even in the winter.  I don't like dry shampoos, so if I don't shampoo, I just rinse my head with cool water.  However, I prefer to shampoo.  I just feel cleaner.

Smells and such permeate your hair.  Maybe you cannot smell it, but others can.

Honored Contributor

@2boxers wrote:

why would you want to skip a day of shampooing? would kind of like skipping washing your left arm while in the shower?yeew

I don't wash my hair everyday.  I have thin, fine hair that is also dry and color treated.  By avoiding washing my hair everyday, that means I'm not using shampoo on it, not blow-drying it which is hard on the hair and not using a flat iron, also hard on my already dry hair. 

Plus when you have thin, fine hair, it's better on the second day because of some product build-up.   

Respected Contributor

In answer to the question why would you wash your hair everyday.....if your face is oily or greasy your scalp probably is to.

There is nothing worse than seeing someone with greasy hair.  I have worked with people who think pulling it into a pony tail would hide it.  Also greasy hair does not smell good.   

Super Contributor

I wash my hair everyday and never had a problem with hair drying out or changing my highlights.  I  did read somewhere that the dirtiest part of your body everyday is your hair.  You wash you face, take a shower etc but your hair collects pollen etc. and then when you go to sleep all that is on your pillow to breathe in.  Yuck... So for me, having a clean head everyday is an absolute must....This works for me but not everyone agrees. 

Trusted Contributor

@shan136 wrote:

When I condition my hair then shampoo I can usually get an extra day before I have to wash it and my hair still feels nice and soft. 

I tried this and it works so good, thanks for the info!