Honored Contributor

Re: Those Extremely Close Shot Beauty Shows......

I flipped around the other night and Courtney was hosting an IT beauty show and they were doing that super close up with her.  I cannot even remember what line she was hosting.  I had to change the channel because that camera work is ridiculous.

Honored Contributor

My intent was not to broad-stroke it by saying wrinkles are a turn-off.  My point was that they are selling beauty products that supposedly temporarily remove fine lines & wrinkles, show a lit from within glow, smooth pores, etc.  We've all heard those sales pitches in nearly every show.

Yet the presentations in those extreme close-ups in hyper-focused HD & glare do exactly the opposite of what they intend -- at least for me.  Plus, they always look so shiny up that close. 

I'll be 60 years old next month.  I'm no youngster.  I also don't walk around with an HD camera and TV lights around my neck.

I much prefer the mature hosts selling beauty products for the very reason that I'm one of them and can see what the items might do for me.  

I just do not like the "in your face, shiny glare" presentations of them.  At all. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Caaareful Shopper wrote:

My intent was not to broad-stroke it by saying wrinkles are a turn-off.  My point was that they are selling beauty products that supposedly temporarily remove fine lines & wrinkles, show a lit from within glow, smooth pores, etc.  We've all heard those sales pitches in nearly every show.

Yet the presentations in those extreme close-ups in hyper-focused HD & glare do exactly the opposite of what they intend -- at least for me.  Plus, they always look so shiny up that close. 

I'll be 60 years old next month.  I'm no youngster.  I also don't walk around with an HD camera and TV lights around my neck.

I much prefer the mature hosts selling beauty products for the very reason that I'm one of them and can see what the items might do for me.  

I just do not like the "in your face, shiny glare" presentations of them.  At all. 

I wasn't talking about your post, @Caaareful Shopper .  I agree with it.  It was another post that seemed to be a put down to aging.  

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

I don't watch QVC but some of the YT channels are starting to shoot in 4K and when they zoom in REALLY close and you're watching on a 4K 32" monitor, their faces are bigger than mine and everything is visible.

Honored Contributor

Trusted Contributor

@rms1954  I understand your point of view. BUT, MaryBeth is a lovely lady. And like anyone who lives to a certain age we show signs that we are not a vibrant 25 year old anymore. She mentioned recently that she has arthritis and also her hands shake at times. I think she has aged gracefully. Do not worry , you will see changes like this also if you live long enough. Have a great day darling.

Honored Contributor

@webbgarner1 wrote:

@rms1954  I understand your point of view. BUT, MaryBeth is a lovely lady. And like anyone who lives to a certain age we show signs that we are not a vibrant 25 year old anymore. She mentioned recently that she has arthritis and also her hands shake at times. I think she has aged gracefully. Do not worry , you will see changes like this also if you live long enough. Have a great day darling.

Hi darling.  What would I have to worry about?  I have witnessed these changes in myself, gracefully or not, people age with wrinkles and body changes.  I am well aware of this and would not want my face in a closeup shot on camera.  That's all i am saying.  Maybe I misunderstood the point of the OP's topic.  You seem to assume that I am a vibrant 25 year old.  I am 67 soon.  

Showing older/aged woman in a close-up does not promote the product because powders and such just increase the aging of the face.  Unless of course you have perfect skin, lovely or not the person is.  I forget you can't say anything about MB around here.