Honored Contributor

Re: The term "real women"...

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@mom2four0418, also note that it was the same poster who resurrected this thread today. No one had posted on it for about six weeks.

@suzyQ3 sad, isn't it!

Honored Contributor

It seems that everytime this comes up, there are posters who like to insert how they are "offended" by the term "real women" and then make sure that everyone knows that they are thin, tall, tiny, xxxs or whatever and say does that not make me a "real woman?" or that the term is "odd."

Come on!

When we all know that term was made to distinguish from the standard of models who are tall, thin, etc because we also know that most of America does not look like that.So "real" is said to include those who do not look like most of the models, because most of American women do not look like that.

If someone wants everyone to know how fit and slim and trim and tiny and petite aiyiyi go for it but be authentic about wanting people to know that you are not in the heavier or "overweight" group. Just be "real" about what you are wanting to say.

And really for the health of all American women and around the world, would it be so hard to remember to focus on a person's heart and spirit-their inside and beauty as a good and KIND human being?! People can be incredibly beautiful by how they act towards others every day-that is what stands out to me.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@on the bay wrote:

It seems that everytime this comes up, there are posters who like to insert how they are "offended" by the term "real women" and then make sure that everyone knows that they are thin, tall, tiny, xxxs or whatever and say does that not make me a "real woman?" or that the term is "odd."

Come on!

When we all know that term was made to distinguish from the standard of models who are tall, thin, etc because we also know that most of America does not look like that.So "real" is said to include those who do not look like most of the models, because most of American women do not look like that.

If someone wants everyone to know how fit and slim and trim and tiny and petite aiyiyi go for it but be authentic about wanting people to know that you are not in the heavier or "overweight" group. Just be "real" about what you are wanting to say.

And really for the health of all American women and around the world, would it be so hard to remember to focus on a person's heart and spirit-their inside and beauty as a good and KIND human being?! People can be incredibly beautiful by how they act towards others every day-that is what stands out to me.

I hearted your post, @on the bay, because I understand and agree with its sentiment.

Let me just say, though, I've read many posts on this subject in which the person will say something akin to what you've said (usually not as eloquently) but then go on to add that, say, most women don't look like sticks, like lollipops, like skin and bones, like victims of starvation or disease -- you name it, I've read it here.

That's what I can do without. Kindness goes both ways.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@suzyQ3

You are right and it does-that's the whole point-to stop hurting and focusing and comparing or critisizing ourselves and each other in hurtful ways-no matter what we look like but to care about what that person is inside."What a wonderful world" that would be!

and edited to add-that isn't what i was referring to here. It just bothers me when people claim to be offended while pointing out their size and height (which to most standards are pretty good!) focusing the attention on how they look, making sure everyone knows they are not in the category everyone is referring to, (above 12 or 14 or whatever) while claiming to be insulted or offended that aren't they considered real women? I think they really want to make sure everyone knows they are not size 12 or over! They are not claiming to be "sticks" or skinny and no one mentioned that.

Models can be called that when people feel they have gone overboard-That is where the term "heroin chic" came from and models themselves have rebelled against it and talked about the extreme detriment to their health with the enforced standards. Some designers are standing up against it and good for them. But that is really another topic. 

No one here so far who pointed out their weight was complaining about being called a twig or skinny (though that can be hurtful as well especially when someone can't do anything about it.)

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

I can clearly picture what I would consider a real woman.  She's slightly plump and not thin as a rail.  Probably a size 14.

Honored Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

I can clearly picture what I would consider a real woman.  She's slightly plump and not thin as a rail.  Probably a size 14.

This is the problem I see with this categorization. Many women who are "thin as a rail" consider themselves to be real women. So do I.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

When a woman has to make a huge deal out of telling everyone how thin she is my mind automatically goes to anorexia. Because if someone is overly obsessed with being thin .... also when I read this from the same people who act like the food police all the time.... really makes me go hummm.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

When a woman has to make a huge deal out of telling everyone how thin she is my mind automatically goes to anorexia. Because if someone is overly obsessed with being thin .... also when I read this from the same people who act like the food police all the time.... really makes me go hummm.

This is all in your mind, not in this thread. No one is going on about how then they are or obsessed with being thin or acting like food police.

Where do you come up with this stuff?

Respected Contributor

I have thought the term is used on the q to refer to designs and products for women of all sizes, heights and not just the size 0 to size 4 women who are tall like models. I guess I have chosen to view the term to acknowledge that the "real" women are small or not small; short /average/tall; have different shapes; have little, big, narrow to wide feet that are healthy/problem/beautiful/misshapen; etc.  You get the point.  I separate that term from my opinion about the styles offerred. 

If my dog doesn't like you, neither do I.
Honored Contributor

@Jk9 wrote:

I have thought the term is used on the q to refer to designs and products for women of all sizes, heights and not just the size 0 to size 4 women who are tall like models. I guess I have chosen to view the term to acknowledge that the "real" women are small or not small; short /average/tall; have different shapes; have little, big, narrow to wide feet that are healthy/problem/beautiful/misshapen; etc.  You get the point.  I separate that term from my opinion about the styles offerred. 

@Jk9

Now this is a nice way to think of it.