Honored Contributor

Re: The term "real women"...

[ Edited ]

@CoG wrote:

Real women

-as opposed to little girls,

-as opposed to those ashamed of their gender and too timid to stand in their femininity, to achieve their full potential

- as opposed to coquettes and cuties and gals and kittens and   "it  girls" or any other kind of "girl" 

And the list goes on.  You can choose to take offense at just about anything if that is your bent.  Or- you can choose to reach further, to understand the terms expressed in their intended context. 

The real women of this country have risen above status as property, slaves, trophies.  We vote if we choose because we won that war too.  We educate. We've established our positions in the Professions, in and outside of the home, we've shattered glass ceilings and defied bigotry.  

Some of us find no offense in the term "real women" 

I suggest everyone take a look in the mirror.

How entrapped in self hatred is someone who translates "real women" into "Frumpy" , "overweight", "wrinkled"?  Over whose upper limit of normal weight? What's the cut off" 90 lbs?  160 lbs? 250 lbs?  400? What precisely is frumpy?  Is your frumpy someone else's avante guard?  Frumpy according to whom?  Wrinkled? as opposed to what? Plastic, frozen blank, a dullard's placid facade?  or-  Expression lines incurred through longevity, resilience, perseverence, trial and joy?  What do you call them in a man? 

@CoG 

I've never heard this phrase before .....  "to stand in their femininity?"       Just how does anyone "stand" in their femininity?

Respected Contributor

I've never cared for the term "real women" either.  We're all real, no matter what size or shape.  However, many QVC hosts and vendors refer to real women as those that look like Carolyn.  I'm 6ft tall and slim and am just as real as anyone else.

Honored Contributor

Although I really don't like the connotations of the phrase "real women," I also found the opening post to be offensive.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

May everyone reading this thread live long enough to be old and wrinkled, and possibly frumpy and overweight. Why is being old and having wrinkles thought of as a bad thing ?

Honored Contributor

The phrase doesn't bother me. Yes, we are all "real women" regardless of our physical appearance, but on the Q it is simply a sales pitch to get more people to buy. 

Esteemed Contributor

@CoG@Vassago I think that the OP has a very good point.  The green eyed monsters come out when women appear fit and trim to other that aren't.

The Q sells to the large women because the prices are good for them and easy to order on-line.  Prices are higher at Large Lady stores and prices are lower for me everywhere for the size that I am.  So, the Q doesn't get much of my buying but it sure makes a pile of money off the larger sizes. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor

OP:  As opposed to model perfect. That's how I take it, right or wrong.

Honored Contributor

How about "average" women instead of real?  We are all real.  Yes, QVC's customer is older and leans towards overweight.  But I like the fact that as a plus size I don't have to shop in a special department with darker, tentier, fashions.  I can look just like everyone else. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Puzzle Piece wrote:

@CoG@Vassago I think that the OP has a very good point.  The green eyed monsters come out when women appear fit and trim to other that aren't.

The Q sells to the large women because the prices are good for them and easy to order on-line.  Prices are higher at Large Lady stores and prices are lower for me everywhere for the size that I am.  So, the Q doesn't get much of my buying but it sure makes a pile of money off the larger sizes. 

So you think that women are jealous of you?  SMH

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Honored Contributor

@mom2four0418,  the poster in question has made various types of negative comments about overweight people in the past.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland