Contributor

Re: The term "real women"...

yet i think of 'real women' as being my grandmother who had 8 kids and grew all of her food cooked on a wood burning stove after raising the chickens killing the chickens plucking the chickens and feeding her family along with anyone that happened up the dirt road during the depression that needed a meal. all with no a/c in the kitchen and a tin roof. that was a real woman. she fiinally got one fan after the kids were grown and gone. she wshed all clothing and linens by hand and hung them up to dry yet had time to handmake all her daughters ruffled, pleated dresses. and work clothes for her sons. now she was a real woman. wish there were more like her today.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SahmIam wrote:

OP:  As opposed to model perfect. That's how I take it, right or wrong.

I would guess many of the models like Kate, Brenda, Angela, etc. 

fall within a Normal BMI...which is, IMO, 'real' women.

Probably in the size 4-6-8 range.  

From sight, I would guess most QVC models are

5'6"-5'9", 120-135 lbs.  Any garment size above that

would generally calculate body weight in the Overweight BMI range.

Sad to think Obese is considered 'real' by most. 

Frequent Contributor

I find no offense in their use of the term "real women". I believe they are referring to all women and not just the tall, statuesque, perfect complexioned young woman. Yes, they are including the tall, statuesque...woman, but also including all other women. I see no demoralization whatsoever in such a reference, but then I am not easily offended. There is so much in this world which needs our involvement, poverty, sickness, abuse, and so much more, that, to me, finding offense in someone saying "real women", well, I just can't imagine. I don't look for things to be offensive, and I am certain they mean no offense. However, no matter what one says, someone somewhere could infer something in it to find offensive no matter how innocent the comment. I am sorry you find it offensive, but it isn't intended to offend but to be inclusive. I hope that you can look past this phrase that many of us like, and simply enjoy the presentations.
Frequent Contributor

As for obese being real, there is a difference in what is real and what is a target BMI. Obesity is real, just as rudeness is real. No, I am not obese, in fact I am thin, however, I certainly don't consider someone who doesn't fall within their target BMI as "unreal". I don't look at people as fat, thin, black, white, blonde, brunette, old, young, or anything else. I look at them as friends or friends whom I have yet to meet. I look at them as kind, charitable, compassionate, etc.
Frequent Contributor

I really don't find "real women" to be offensive. I totally think they mean all of us who are not models or the perfect women that we see on tv or in magazines. I think they mean regular people, not movie stars, celebrities, etc. I get what they mean, and it doesn't offend me. Let's stop looking for any and everything to be offended about.

Now what I DO find offensive is the bumper sticker I saw on a man's  car today....it said "hittin' switches on bit$&es". Now THAT is offensive. 

Lets be offended about things like that that actually ARE offensive. Bragging about being violent towards women....THAT is offensive. 

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@151949 wrote:

When a woman has to make a huge deal out of telling everyone how thin she is my mind automatically goes to anorexia. Because if someone is overly obsessed with being thin .... also when I read this from the same people who act like the food police all the time.... really makes me go hummm.

This is all in your mind, not in this thread. No one is going on about how then they are or obsessed with being thin or acting like food police.

Where do you come up with this stuff?

I did not realize we were only discussing this thread. I was under the impressiopn we were discussing who is being referred to when someone says real woman and the reactions people have to that phrase.

Respected Contributor

@makeupmama wrote:

I really don't find "real women" to be offensive. I totally think they mean all of us who are not models or the perfect women that we see on tv or in magazines. I think they mean regular people, not movie stars, celebrities, etc. I get what they mean, and it doesn't offend me. Let's stop looking for any and everything to be offended about.

Now what I DO find offensive is the bumper sticker I saw on a man's  car today....it said "hittin' switches on bit$&es". Now THAT is offensive. 

Lets be offended about things like that that actually ARE offensive. Bragging about being violent towards women....THAT is offensive. 

If I can stop laughing long enough, maybe I can be offended!  I actually appreciate when someone tells me upfront who they are so I can avoid them.  LOL

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sidsmom wrote:

@SahmIam wrote:

Unless you're REALLY thin NATURALLY, being 5'11" and a size 4 isn't the norm. And BMI is a joke...ask the majority of athletes who are considered overweight via the BMI chart yet ripple like a Thoroughbred when they move; especially when playing their sport. 

There are different types of models in the industry: runway, fitting, catalog, swimsuit, body, etc. They all have different requirements and aesthetics. To ME, any woman who is not in that line of work should NEVER compare herself to those who are. In addition, society shouldn't. It's like comparing the food you cook at home to the food you see on the cover of a magazine- the food at home is real, the food on the cover would make you violently ill if you attempted to eat it...if not kill you.

Honored Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@SahmIam wrote:

Unless you're REALLY thin NATURALLY, being 5'11" and a size 4 isn't the norm. 

That's correct. But most of Q models are not 5'11".  

Most Q models are at a healthy weight,

and I consider healthy weight as real. 

The Greater Good created the human body not to be overweight.

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@SahmIam wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@SahmIam wrote:

Unless you're REALLY thin NATURALLY, being 5'11" and a size 4 isn't the norm. 

That's correct. But most of Q models are not 5'11".  

Most Q models are at a healthy weight,

and I consider healthy weight as real. 

The Greater Good created the human body not to be overweight.

Ok... I must be missing something. I read the OP's post and replied to just that. Is the thread about the term "real women" being applied ONLY to women who are overweight as per the BMI chart? I've never used the term as a description for someone who is NOT model thin. What, therefore, is this thread actually about?