Honored Contributor

Re: The term "real women"...

It's too bad, and sad at the same time, that people are put into categories or groups and labeled as such.

Super Contributor

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

I hate the terms 'real women' and 'real men'. We're all real and to imply that anyone has to fit into some mold or match some socially mandated image of what a man or woman is to be real causes all kinds of problems.

I don't care where you fall on the amazing spectrum of manhood  womanhood, you're real.

ITA! I am tall and size 6. Does this mean I am not a "real woman"? Ridiculous terminolgy. We are all real, whatever shape or size we are! 

Trusted Contributor

I agree that it's an odd term but I am not offended by it.  To me it simply means that they are referring to the average American woman.  I am anything but average so I just skip over those itemsSmiley Tongue

Honored Contributor

@Puzzle Piece wrote:

@CoG@Vassago I think that the OP has a very good point.  The green eyed monsters come out when women appear fit and trim to other that aren't.

The Q sells to the large women because the prices are good for them and easy to order on-line.  Prices are higher at Large Lady stores and prices are lower for me everywhere for the size that I am.  So, the Q doesn't get much of my buying but it sure makes a pile of money off the larger sizes. 

Where exactly is that - which stores charge less for smaller sizes?  I would seriously love to find them.  I am not sure you are correct on that.

Esteemed Contributor

It doesn't offend me. But it does seem odd. So if your in shape and your weight is low your not a real woman. I am tiny. I only weigh 100 lbs. it doesn't offend me I just think it is a odd term.
Honored Contributor

Women let the fashion and beauty industry define them by buying into their idea of beauty. We so called average or real women have so much power, yet we buy into the standard and continue to make the designers and the beauty industry rich. Let's face it nobody wants to be considered average in anything, so relish who you are and surround yourself with people who can appreciate that.

Honored Contributor

@Vassago wrote:

As opposed to what?

Every time I hear this they paint the picture of "real women" as old, wrinkled, frumpy and overweight. 

It is both offensive to those who are beautiful and fit that aren't considered "real women" and to the image of women they paint as the "real woman".

I don't find this description to be what I understand they mean - I take it to mean women who have hips and breasts and are curvy and not size xxs straight up & down the way models in fashion mags are usually built. 

Respected Contributor

Well, it's hard for me to ignore that every time that "real woman" term is used it seems to be connected to a full figured body type.  I find it a bit silly to awkwardly put a name to it.  We're ALL "real".

Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@mom2four0418,  the poster in question has made various types of negative comments about overweight people in the past.

I need to remember this.....

Image result for quotes on mean people

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Honored Contributor

@mom2four0418, also note that it was the same poster who resurrected this thread today. No one had posted on it for about six weeks.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland