Respected Contributor

The problem with "blank" free only listings

The other day my daughter and I rec'd our monthly Ipsy subscription.  While not the greatest program it is something she and I have shared for several years and get a kick out of opening.  As usual, she had her picks and allowed me an item or two.  Last night I actually decided to go ahead and use one of the products.  It was an exfoliating cleanser from a popular organic line.  

You can be sure it's an organic line.  The packaging can leave no doubt.  On the packaging, and mind you it was a a sample size, valuable real estate was used to proudly state what the product is "free" of:  phlalate free, paraben free, synthetic fragrance free, PEG free, petroleum free, silicone free, gluten free, sulfate free, cruelty free.  Oh, also it's vegan, won't clog pores and is 100% biodegradable.  I  bet I could figure out what it's free of if rather they stated what is in the ingredient deck.  But, surely, if it's "free" of so many terrible chemicals, etc it can't irritate you, right?  Oh, how I wish!  Urgh, it is not essential oil free!  Spearmint.  Darn irritating, skin reddening and burning, rash inducing (for me), Spearmint.  

Now, it's back to the prescribed rash ointment to get some much needed relief.  Oh, and that is petroleum based.  Probably has PEG's, too.  

Respected Contributor

Re: The problem with "blank" free only listings

Sorry that happened.  ITA, IPSY rarely lists ingredients on the items, and Googling every single one is a nuisance.  Birchbox is not as good a box (got that for a few yrs) but I think they included the ingredients if I remember. IPSY said they can't cater to specific allergic ingredients so we are kind of on our own.

Respected Contributor

@Desi wrote:

Sorry that happened.  ITA, IPSY rarely lists ingredients on the items, and Googling every single one is a nuisance.  Birchbox is not as good a box (got that for a few yrs) but I think they included the ingredients if I remember. IPSY said they can't cater to specific allergic ingredients so we are kind of on our own.

Completely my fault for not taking a moment to double check.  Especially, when I thought I detected a whiff of mint.  Essential oils are more irritating to skin than any polyethylene glycol ever dreamed of being.  When I did check, yep, there it was and listed dead last on the ingredient deck. 

Respected Contributor

Least there was a list.  I didn't get the scrub and was sad, now I'm glad I didn't get it!  I can't do menthol, tea tree or peppermint in scrubs either.  

Respected Contributor

Hello, Bella Carro. Smiley Happy

Sorry that happened to you. Is your skin all right now?

~Nick Chavez is my favorite vendor on QVC and Alberti Popaj is my favorite QVC host.~
Nick Chavez now has his own sub-forum under the My Favorite Brand folder
Honored Contributor

I have been getting the Ipsy bags for several months now, too.

I just got a little tube of some kind of scrub, too.  Wonder if it was the same stuff?  It was kind of dark looking.  I decided not to use it as it looked rather menacing to me!  I will pass it on to my sisters as they don't have the skin issues that I have.

I am sorry you got a reaction.  Yes, it is very hard to tell what is in these little products.  When I get time (whenever that is), I try and look up these products to see what they are and what is or isn't in them.  Most of the time I don't understand the ingredient any way so think - what's the point?

You are right --- a lot of these natural ingredients, oils, essenses and stuff, cause a lot of reactions.  People think they are safe but not necessarily so!  I find anything with any hint of mint, menthol, etc. -- I run the other way!

I was thinking of switching to Birch Box, but I think they are basically all the same.  You might get a product here or there that you like or can use, but the rest, you either toss or share with others.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

TOTALLY agree with you, Bella! So many of the "free from everything under the sun" products then include irritating, awful ingredients like peppermint, lemon and other citrus oils, menthol, etc and they are worse for your skin than the so-called horror ingredients they sometimes list. Granted, some are good ingredients to exclude but most are just those hot button ingredients that have gotten a bad rap with no credible scientific evidence to back the negativity surrounding it.

Honored Contributor

Hey Bella!

It appears we got the same Ipsy box. Were you not a little freaked out when you squirted it into your hand and it was black?? I guess it could have been green but then my lighting in the bathroom isn't great. Every morning is an adventure when I look in the rearview mirror....lol

Respected Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

TOTALLY agree with you, Bella! So many of the "free from everything under the sun" products then include irritating, awful ingredients like peppermint, lemon and other citrus oils, menthol, etc and they are worse for your skin than the so-called horror ingredients they sometimes list. Granted, some are good ingredients to exclude but most are just those hot button ingredients that have gotten a bad rap with no credible scientific evidence to back the negativity surrounding it.

Most brilliant, nailed it, on point statement I've read all day, @HappyDaze

Respected Contributor

@Andreatoo wrote:

Hey Bella!

It appears we got the same Ipsy box. Were you not a little freaked out when you squirted it into your hand and it was black?? I guess it could have been green but then my lighting in the bathroom isn't great. Every morning is an adventure when I look in the rearview mirror....lol

LOL, @Andreatoo. It was really dark green and it could look black in some lighting.  Blech, I ripped it on the Ipsy review.  I thought it was also crazy rough.  Was that pumice?