Respected Contributor

Re: The problem with beauty products without parabans...

[ Edited ]

@HappyDaze wrote:

@momoftwo2007 wrote:

The problem with beauty products without parabans is that they expire way too quickly.  I just bought a Korres Hand Cream and noticed that the expiration date is 6 months after opening. And my Tarte Rainforest of the Sea cleanser also has a 6 months expiration date.  It is fine if that is the only product I am using. But I like to try different products and use different ones depending on my particular needs that day. I feel like 6 months is way too short to trying to finish a product.  One of my NYX eyeshadow pallete also has a expiration date of 6 months.  There is NO WAY I can go through an eyeshadow pallete in 6 months!!

I don't understand your point. The products you mention STILL contain preservatives. Are you saying that only parabens provide the long-term preservation? Or are you trying to say that other parabens don't work as well? Or? Sorry but I am just not understanding the point of your post and want to make sure I understand it correctly. 

@Funloving & @HappyDaze

Actually, I am just trying to vent about the short shelf life of products without parabans (which acts as a more effective perservatives than others), which makes it difficult for me to try to use up the products before its expiration date.  That's all.

Thank you, ladies, for chimming in Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

@Funloving That is what I was thinking but wasn't sure. I also think that others may think that products without parabens means the don't contain preservatives, based on some of the posts here. I do believe products on the shelf legally have to have some type of preservative in them and there are a wide variety of preservatives beyond parabens. Some preservatives are better than others in terms of long-term stability-that is true- but nonetheless, parabens aren't the only game in town. As you well know. Smiley Happy 

Honored Contributor

@momoftwo2007,     Six months is a very short period.  There is no way you could possibly go through an eye shadow palette in that short period of time.  Mark the date on the eye shadows and in 6 months see there condition.  I have eye shadows that are years old and nothing is wrong with them.  Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Trusted Contributor

For those interested in the paraben debate, here is a blog article by FutureDerm about parabens.

And, here is an article by FutureDerm about why paraben alternatives may be worse.

Respected Contributor

@River Song

@ChynnaBlue

Thanks for the links!  Very interesting and informative read.

Honored Contributor

I take those little date symbols on makeup with a big grain of salt, especially if it's a powder product. Heck, I've been known to wipe off the top of a very old powder shadow or blush and call it new.

As an aside, I've posted ad nauseam about the misinformation and fearmongering about parabens.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@River Song wrote:

For those interested in the paraben debate, here is a blog article by FutureDerm about parabens.

And, here is an article by FutureDerm about why paraben alternatives may be worse.

Thanks, @River Song. I'm usually skeptical of advice from sites that are also selling products, but those are very informative posts. I also read their post about coconut oil not being antibacterial. Smiley Happy

I'll add FutureDerm to my blog rotation. Love your name, too! Spoilers, Sweetie!

Trusted Contributor

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

@River Song wrote:

Thanks, @River Song. I'm usually skeptical of advice from sites that are also selling products, but those are very informative posts. I also read their post about coconut oil not being antibacterial. Smiley Happy

I'll add FutureDerm to my blog rotation. Love your name, too! Spoilers, Sweetie!

@ChynnaBlue,

I liked the FutureDerm blog better when she first started it a few years ago because the posts were backed up with science.  Now, she has a team and I don't think she actually writes some of the product reviews and they end up sounding more like commercials.  Plus, she now writes 'lifestyle' posts about the angst of the 30-something, and, well, been there, done that, don't need to revisit it, lol.  So, just sayin', I disregard the angst and commercials and only read the science-based posts.  She does a good job of explaining the minutiae of scientific papers in language that the non-science person can understand.

Spoilers!  LOL  Gotta love Doctor Who!

Respected Contributor

I certainly would not throw any palettes out just because they state 6 months, especially powder products. I go by texture and smell.  Most palettes only state 12 months and no way can I use a palette up in 12 months, just one of the side affects of having too many. I love eye shadow palettes. I think I would own all of them if I let myself.

Some of mine are paraben free and they are fine and they are a lot older than 6 months, lol.  Like others have said, there are other preserv in them.

I have a palette now I am trying to work on.  It is "very" old and I want to try and get some use out of it.   At the end of the year, I will make the decision if i am going to keep it. 

Valued Contributor

@Funloving & @HappyDaze

Actually, I am just trying to vent about the short shelf life of products without parabans (which acts as a more effective perservatives than others), which makes it difficult for me to try to use up the products before its expiration date.  That's all.

Thank you, ladies, for chimming in Woman Happy

Thanks for starting this post!  I actually just bought some products I wanted to try that have parabens in them & was thinking...should I try them or just send them back?  So I have been kind of looking for info on parabens & how safe or not safe they are!  So I for one really like the thread!  Right when I needed it!  LOL