Honored Contributor

Tell Me, Do You Think This Is A Scam

I got an email today regarding my entry in the Total Beauty Awards 2015 sweepstakes. It's from Wanna who works in the Marketing Department at TotalllyHerMediaLLC. It states I'm the grand prize winner of a Beauty Bag and need to respond by Wednesday or I will lose my prize. It is worth $1,014.75. I may have entered the sweepstakes, I don't remember. I find it hard to believe I won, I never win anything! Should I respond to this? Unfortunately in today's day and age I don't trust anything. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Tell Me, Do You Think This Is A Scam

If they're asking you for money or your credit card number or your address, yes, I think it's a scam! 

If you actually entered a legitimate contest, wouldn't they already know all that?

Try Google.

Valued Contributor

I suggest strongly you call the Better Business Bureau before contacting anyone.  Unfortunately, scams abound us.  

Honored Contributor

It states to respond to this email confirming receipt after which I will send you the Affidavit of Eligibility and W9 form for you to fill out, sign and return along with a photocopy of your state issued ID. I'm not going to respond. It sounds like they want too much info from me..

Respected Contributor

Since they already have your email, why not respond?  Don't give them any info. like CC numbers, soc. security, etc. If it's legit they will need your home address (to send the prize), but anyone can access that anyway.  It could very well be legit - why enter contests if you don't want to get the prize if you are picked?  JMO

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

If you can't remember entering, RUN.  And since you opened the email, I'd clean the computer of cookies, spyware, etc. and block the sender's email address.

Respected Contributor

I'm leery of things like this too. I would call the Total Beauty corporate office listed on their website and ask and then make a decision from there.
Esteemed Contributor

Well, I googled them and there is a web site for them. their headquarters is in California. I read their profile information and it seems to be a lot of gobble ****** as to what they actually really do
Respected Contributor

DS thinks it's a scam, so, let it go.

Contributor

I actually did win a contest through Lucky magazine but I was positive I had entered.  My prize was valued at just over $1,000.  If the prize is over $600, you do have to submit a tax form because prize winnings over $600 are taxable.

When I won, I believe I got a phone call from the magazine and they sent the forms to me in the mail.  I had to have one of them notarized before I returned it to them.  

If you think you entered the contest, you should check them out thoroughly before you respond or give them info.  Google the name of the marketing company to see if any scams are mentioned in association with their company name and also check with the better business bureau as suggested by another poster.   

Good luck!