Respected Contributor
@HappyDaze...are you running a business?

Aside from that, I have the Tova Signature. I'm on my first bottle and I'm really enjoying it. I alternate Between Tova and AG. I can smell Tova on me all day. It's really lovely. I have nothing to compare it to because I never used the previous version. But I won't hesitate to buy another bottle when I finish this one.
Honored Contributor

@Rachb wrote:
@HappyDaze...are you running a business?

Aside from that, I have the Tova Signature. I'm on my first bottle and I'm really enjoying it. I alternate Between Tova and AG. I can smell Tova on me all day. It's really lovely. I have nothing to compare it to because I never used the previous version. But I won't hesitate to buy another bottle when I finish this one.

@Rachb um no, should I be? Not sure why you are asking?

Honored Contributor

For those of you who said the signature has changed, can you kind of describe the difference? When I tried the siganture just recently, I found that at times I liked it-smelled kind of fresh and clean- and other times I'd get a whiff of it and it smelled kind of like powdery/floral, like something my grandma would wear. In the old version, could you smell any jasmine? I don't smell jasmine at all. Doesn't Tova say that it has jasmine in it?

Honored Contributor

To me the main difference between the old and new is one, the staying power and two the older version just  had a lingering note that stayed with you,,maybe a musk.  It was a soft scent.  Now I think I smell a little alcohol.  I bought a new bottle for the first  time in years,  I do like it.  Frankly, if I had never smelled it before, I would like it.  I do have a little older version of Nights and Body, Mind and Spirit, and I cherish it.  Nights was one of my favorites!

I think Tova changed when all perfumes changed. I think selling to QVC and the fragrance change was co-incidence myself.  When Jasmine from France was forbidden, she lost the center of her scent! Every single scent I have ever tried has changed in the last 10 years .  I think it is due to environmental sanctions and endangered ingredients.  We no longer allow certain jasmines, oils, wood scents that are protected.  I know there was a Jasmine Tova used from France that is highly protected.  We no longer use civet oil, mink oil, turtle products and many other ingredients.    The ingredients they now use are mass produced, and most ingredients are synthetic instead of the real thing.. Somewhere in the early 2000"s the fragrance world was hit with new laws and more environmental requirements.

Trusted Contributor

Used TOVA years ago and loved her products.   Remember her when she first started selling in newspaper ads, long before the Q.  And remember her cactine hair products??  The hair mask was the best.  Haven't seen that in years and years so it can't be around any more.  I think that's the way she started - with a cactus-based product. 

Honored Contributor

Whenever this discussion comes up I wonder if we ladies are taking into account the fact that the sensation of scent fatigues fastest of all of the senses.

When you are wearing pefume, your ability to experience your own scent gets weaker as time moves on even if there is no change in the power or amount of the scent itself.

I have some older relatives who practically bathe in perfume but because of the fatigue phenomenon, are not aware how strong the pefume is o others.

Valued Contributor

I tried it recently and it was awful ! I used to use it a long time ago as well. I wish the original could come back! It's really sad.

Valued Contributor

Sorry I didn't follow up with my own post until now. It's been a crazy couple days for me. The changed occurred when the sale was done. We didn't see Tova on Q for quite a while. Then she came back rarely when, she used to be the main event of the days programming. It has nothing to due with being conditioned to the scent. I used to spray my sheets with it! Other people, friends, coworkers, etc., even asked me why I changed my perfume....and, what it was I was wearing now! A few women I know locally ( one was my daughters age) were loyal and would've flown to BH to get a few bottles of the real, original TOVA. I have a friend who lived about an hour from the boutique and if she was going to or thru BH would always stop and get a few bottles for us. 

The origonal formula had jasmine; "absolute jasmine" as well as bergamot, gardenia, light hints of sandalwood and a bit of citrus of some sort. It wasn't flowery orfruity, it was ethereal, fresh, and seductive in the most innocent sense of the word.  There were a couple more ingredients or "notes" as they say in the perfume business that are hidden in my mind. It was absolutely glorious. And in the years since the sale and "takeover" I've never found anything to come close to the original TOVA Signature.

It has happened to other vendors who were wonderful artisans and they were lulled into selling and the product that helped the Q become ....the Q was changed, altered, dipped in DMQ, & so on. I won't mention them now because the powers that be will not be happy. 

The problem with jasmine in France is a bit of a ruse. It's a plant...it is a plant. Besides all that, the best the "absolute" best comes from Thailand. 

To those of you who like the new formula....I can't believe you knew the original as so many of us did. 

I will continue to search for a custom parfumerie....because if I can even come close, it will be worth it. The original TOVA Signature was magical.

Valued Contributor

@bebe777 wrote:

@Gemspirit and @Catty2, I didn't realize that QVC had bought her business and modified her formula. When did this happen and what is her current relationship with QVC? -- @HappyDaze, I thought you would be interested in this information as well. 

-- bebe Smiley Happy

2006 is about right as another poster mentioned. I try to remember things like this in r/t things going on in my life. And I remember it changed right around the time I was dx'd with MS. 

New Contributor

None of the flankers after QVC bought Tova out has smelled as good as the original.  Just today I received 3 bottles of the old Tova in the frosted bottle with the black cap that I purchased from an eBay seller and Fragrancex online.  The two from eBay were rancid so I have no idea if they were the original or not and I'm in the process of returning them for a refund.  The one from Fragrancex smells like musk - no bergamot, lavender, jasmine, nothing but plain old musk.  I don't know how to tell if it was made before or after QVC bought out Tova but the black quilted box it came in says QVC West Chester, London UK, and Germany on it.  Yet another disappointment.  I think it may be time to just relegate Tova to the past or suck it up and wear the lesser grade one that QVC still sells.