Trusted Contributor

Suspicious reviews? A259435 - Beenigma....

I wanted to read about this product that aired tonight and was surprised at how favorable (and similar) the reviews were.  It looks like just about everyone gave the product 5-stars....and registered on QVC the same day they posted their one and only review for this product.

When I looked at the 1-star reviews they were almost all posted by individuals who have a QVC posting history and have reviewed multiple other products.

I am so disinterested in Beenigma right now.  I wish that QVC would verify that the reviewer actually purchased the item they review.

Respected Contributor

Re: Suspicious reviews? A259435 - Beenigma....

I just took a look and I  see what you mean. I suspect this goes on all the time and that it goes on in the forums. People sent in deliberately to talk up the products, especially WEN. You can see a similar trend in the forums for that product as well as others. At one time it was said that the original sellers of crab cakes got caught doing it and were soon gone. QVC would never verify that if it were the case I don't think, so it can only remain a suspician, but it definitely dissuades me from believing what is said and also from purchasing when it seems this obvious.

Super Contributor

Yikes! I'm starting to wonder about these reviews. Have written several reviews that never made it in. Does the Q or other places reserve the right to only post certain reviews? Is there a posted policy for this? I know some will post that this has never happened to them about not having their reviews posted. I've been a Q customer for over 20 years and am a big online shopper. I pretty much know how to write an appropriate review. Plus, I've seen some odd ones make it through. Puzzling. Reviews are serious business and a company should really have to explain if they are "cooking the books". 

Respected Contributor

Absolutely agree....   one after the other, and each reviewer only has ONE review in their history.  SHAME ON QVC for not catching that yet.   They monitor so much on these boards, and should have noticed the influx of so many reviews for that product and by a one review reviewer!  Good catch.

Honored Contributor

I see what you mean, and they read as though they were written by the same person.  Well you saved yourself some money

Also ingredients not that great, honey/bee venom last  on the list.  I don't see the point of this item

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

You are SO right!!  I just went to look at that product and the reviews are filled with people who made only one review. (which was that product).  If you look at the right of the review where it says "read all my reivews" you will see that there was only one review made by many of  them  leaving reviews.   And the reviews also read like a sales pitch. 

I've also seen where  QVC will remove all reviews (which are mostly negative) and make it look like it's a new product. 

Honored Contributor

The amount of positive reviews and the timing of them does seem like it could be shady, but that doesn't mean the actual product itself is bad.  If these are contrived reviews, then shame on whomever did that, but there are other ways to check reviews on a product that may be more genuine, not just on a QVC listing alone.  If I was that interested in a product, I would look to those reviews before throwing in the towel.

Trusted Contributor

like others I was curious and you are so right. Reviews sound like quotes from their sales brochure. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

If you want an HONEST review, there is a YouTuber, MakeUpMLC who has been using this product for 6 months or (when her review aired a few months back). She works for NM and has access to every product imaginable.

I've found her to be one of the few who tells it like it is. She's in her 40's, maybe? 

Super Contributor

This same sort of behavior goes on at Amazon.  In fact it looks like some of the same reviews are posted over there also.  Its a good practice to see if the reviewer has more than one review - if not, and that is their only review, I discount it entirely.