Valued Contributor

Suggestion for Hot Rollers, pls....

I haven't used heat/hot rollers since I was a teenager! Believe me, that was a while back!! I wear my hair in a bob style, two inches below my ears. I would like to add more body, maybe a little curl to see how it looks.

I would appreciate any suggestions regarding brands, etc. I note the set the Q offers does not have particularly good reviews. Checking online, so many sets have such small rollers and I don't think that would work for me as I don't want tight curls!

Thanks so much!!!

Super Contributor

Re: Suggestion for Hot Rollers, pls....

LOL--- I think you know mine. Jilbere at Sally's.

Esteemed Contributor

Conair from Target or Walmart, cheap and wonderful!!!

Valued Contributor

On 1/15/2014 Danae24 said:

LOL--- I think you know mine. Jilbere at Sally's.

Danae - how long is your hair and do the roller get too hot??

Thanks...

Super Contributor

On 1/15/2014 jump4joy said:
On 1/15/2014 Danae24 said:

LOL--- I think you know mine. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin} Jilbere at Sally's.

Danae - how long is your hair and do the roller get too hot??

Thanks...

My hair is about four inches below my shoulders and no, they are never too hot...I do use the clamps...love them....and only keep the rollers in for four or five minutes since I want volume and a slight wave, not curls.

Occasional Contributor

Ok...Don't laugh at me.

I bought a set of hot rollers due to all of the wonderful things that were said about them on these boards. I CAN NOT get them to stay in place. I roll them in place, clamp them, then they flop. I need help.

Esteemed Contributor

I keep going back to Caruso. Got that when it first came out, and it is still going strong for me. I've used other hot rollers, but they're just gathering dust somewhere.

Caruso puts out steam, so never dries or fries your hair. For body, all I need is 3 minutes in! For tighter curl, 5 minutes. My hair is normal, but a lot.

Also it is quick, quick, quick! No clamps, but caps (which you steam, too.) And they stay in very well. (I may use a clip for my bangs area; I don't use the cap for that, and then in less than a minute or so.)

I do use the Chi styling for the shorter ends. (I love that thing, too.)

I can't believe the other roller sets that QVC has on, and you have to leave in your hair for 20 minutes! Caruso never takes that long!!

Honored Contributor

On 1/16/2014 Harpa said:

I keep going back to Caruso. Got that when it first came out, and it is still going strong for me. I've used other hot rollers, but they're just gathering dust somewhere.

Caruso puts out steam, so never dries or fries your hair. For body, all I need is 3 minutes in! For tighter curl, 5 minutes. My hair is normal, but a lot.

Also it is quick, quick, quick! No clamps, but caps (which you steam, too.) And they stay in very well. (I may use a clip for my bangs area; I don't use the cap for that, and then in less than a minute or so.)

I do use the Chi styling for the shorter ends. (I love that thing, too.)

I can't believe the other roller sets that QVC has on, and you have to leave in your hair for 20 minutes! Caruso never takes that long!!

Harpa I've considered those, but I'm concerned the steam may actually be bad for my hair and damage it. Do you think your hair is in better condition with the steam? Also does the curl stay in? Thanks

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Esteemed Contributor

On 1/16/2014 winamac1 said:
Harpa I've considered those, but I'm concerned the steam may actually be bad for my hair and damage it. Do you think your hair is in better condition with the steam? Also does the curl stay in? Thanks

Hi, winamac1,

Steam = moisture

Yes, the curl (or body) stays all day long, and even looks good into the next day, although I will often times re-set (especially when I do not wash my hair that day.)

Honored Contributor

I have two sets of Calista Tools rollers. After trying numerous sets, these ones work the best for me. I get the best results when I also use Calista Tools Complete Texturizing Spray before I put the roller in. I've never tried the Caruso set, but have been tempted. I always wondered if they'd end up getting my hair wet.

jump4joy - my experience with them goes way back, too. It's been a lot of years since I had my Clairol Kindness Hairsetter kit.