Esteemed Contributor

Storing facial cleansing wipes

I love the ponds cleansing wipes. Anyone have any ideas on how to store these after opening so they don't dry out. Right now I just have them in a ziploc bag.
Honored Contributor

Re: Storing facial cleansing wipes

How about a flat, rectangular  Lock & Lock container?  I haven't tried the Pond's wipes so I don't know if they're any dryer than the Skinn or Beekman wipes that I use.  I guess I use mine fast enough because they're still fine when I get to the last one.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Most wipes dry out because they lose their water content through evaporation. What I find helpful is to dribble a tablespoon or so of water into the wipe package. If you put too much just leave it open overnight and they'll be fine by morning. I add small amounts of water to my wipes ( all kinds) on a weekly basis. They are always wet and ready to go.Smiley Happy I live in place as dry as the moon...so this method is the only way wipes-products work for me. Otherwise I woudn't by them at all.

Valued Contributor

I do use a plain zip lock bag on occasion but I found in my stash a plastic lined makeup bag and I store mine in that now mostly.  If you google clear plastic makeup bags or vinyl cosmetic bags you will see what I am talking about.  I think they have them at Target.

Honored Contributor

@ccassaday wrote:
I love the ponds cleansing wipes. Anyone have any ideas on how to store these after opening so they don't dry out. Right now I just have them in a ziploc bag.

@ccassaday

Sounds like the packaging is substandard ... this shouldn't happen, IMO.

I use the Neutrogena makeup remover wipes.   After I'd used up a whole package and was really very satisfied with them, I purchased a special combination package at Walmart that had a package of wipes and a little blue box that is made just for them.  The box keeps them perfectly moist and opens and closes with a nice little snap.

Esteemed Contributor

I have that same little blue box and keep them  in there but still inside the original wrap that has the peel away thing on it. I use each one 2 times, use one side then fold it with the clean side out, put it back in the original wrapper, press the peel away thing back down and put it back in the blue box upside down. Reason being it always seemed to me as I worked my way down to the last ones they always seemed much wetter so I figured the moisture would keep working it's way up to the top so those would stay nice and wet as well. That was just my theory which might be a bunch of hooey but do it anyway.

Honored Contributor

@shaggygirl wrote:

I have that same little blue box and keep them  in there but still inside the original wrap that has the peel away thing on it. I use each one 2 times, use one side then fold it with the clean side out, put it back in the original wrapper, press the peel away thing back down and put it back in the blue box upside down. Reason being it always seemed to me as I worked my way down to the last ones they always seemed much wetter so I figured the moisture would keep working it's way up to the top so those would stay nice and wet as well. That was just my theory which might be a bunch of hooey but do it anyway.

@shaggygirl

LOL ....  I did the exact same thing the first time I used the blue box .... and then decided to throw caution to the wind and just put wipes only in the box.  They stayed perfectly moist down to the last one.   

New Contributor

Mason jar or the ilk...store my facial wipes in tightly lidded jars which I keep in the refrigerator ...this process works !

Respected Contributor

I buy the Simple wipes...their peel off cover seals tightly enough that they don't dry out even if I don't use them for a couple of months!

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just an fyi for anyone who may be interested: I bought some Neutrogena facial wipes for a short business trip last year and after just one use, my skin got red and irritated, even though I used water on my face after the wipe.

A couple of months later, during my annual skin/mole check, I asked my dermatologist about it. She told me that she never recommends any drugstore brand facial wipes to her patients because all of them (Neutrogena is one of the worst offenders, she says) contain formaldehyde-releasing chemicals that are used as preservatives to keep the wipes fresh and moist in their special packaging.  Even the ones that say they're "natural" often contain the same or similar chemicals. She’s certain those chemicals were what my skin reacted to.  She did say that if I wanted to use facial wipes in the future, I should buy only those that are specifically made without any chemicals that release formaldehyde. (Natracare is one brand she knew of.)

There are lots of articles about these formaldehyde-releasing chemicals in facial (and baby) wipes that you can find with a quick google search.