Honored Contributor

Re: Storing facial cleansing wipes

@AspenGrove wrote:

Just an fyi for anyone who may be interested: I bought some Neutrogena facial wipes for a short business trip last year and after just one use, my skin got red and irritated, even though I used water on my face after the wipe.

A couple of months later, during my annual skin/mole check, I asked my dermatologist about it. She told me that she never recommends any drugstore brand facial wipes to her patients because all of them (Neutrogena is one of the worst offenders, she says) contain formaldehyde-releasing chemicals that are used as preservatives to keep the wipes fresh and moist in their special packaging.  Even the ones that say they're "natural" often contain the same or similar chemicals. She’s certain those chemicals were what my skin reacted to.  She did say that if I wanted to use facial wipes in the future, I should buy only those that are specifically made without any chemicals that release formaldehyde. (Natracare is one brand she knew of.)

There are lots of articles about these formaldehyde-releasing chemicals in facial (and baby) wipes that you can find with a quick google search.

@AspenGrove  Do you know the name(s) of the chemicals?  Many of us use assorted brands of wipes and would probably like to double check that ours are OK.  I don't react at all to the Skinn wipes or Beekman wipes that I use.

Honored Contributor

Ponds wipes contain DMDM Hydantoin, that is a formaldehyde derivative, also found in many Dove products and in Jergens, Soft Soap, etc. Even in now Noxzema, Unileve is a very big offender.

Valued Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch, yes she gave me a list, which I know I filed somewhere, but I do remember a few of the ones she told me that are really common because I read the ingredient labels standing in Target one day and all of the wipes sold there had at least one of the chemicals. Most had many more than that. The formaldehyde-releasing chemicals I remember from her list are (forgive any/all spelling errors):  Quaternium-15, Diazolidinyl Urea and Immidazolindinyl Urea, Glyoxal, and DMDM Hydantoin.  There were about 15 chemicals on my derm's list and the Neutrogena wipes had something like 8 of them.  Yikes! 

Regular Contributor

If my cleansing wipes get dry,I run it under warm water for a second and squeeze out any excess water. It works even better!!!

Esteemed Contributor

I never had a problem with Skinn's facial wipes going dry because of the way he packaged them.  One pack lasted me like forever and they were still wet right down to the last one.  I think it's because of the plastic closure on his.  Wouldn't purchase Beekman's because he only uses that thin plastic cover on his.  Dimitri was smart enough to use that thick plastic closure.  Kudos to Skinn.

Honored Contributor

Big thumbs up for Skinn facial wipes! I do keep the opened package in a baggie but they are very moist, no issues with drying out. 

Interesting info about the irritants in some of the brands. I was using Ponds, then the Costco Kirkland brand until the Skinn version was sold last yr. Something changed with the Costco brand ingredients. I had no issues with them until last yr. Then I started to notice a burning sensation after starting a new package from a new lot. I immediately thought they must have changed the ingredients.  Good timing b/c the Skinn product was introduced and I switched. I tried the Beekman wipes.  Yuk = unscented goatsmilk, smelled like sour milk. Also tried the apricot scent. Not as effective or enjoyable as Skinn version. 

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@BlingQueen022 wrote:

I never had a problem with Skinn's facial wipes going dry because of the way he packaged them.  One pack lasted me like forever and they were still wet right down to the last one.  I think it's because of the plastic closure on his.  Wouldn't purchase Beekman's because he only uses that thin plastic cover on his.  Dimitri was smart enough to use that thick plastic closure.  Kudos to Skinn.

I currently also use Skinn's wipes and have had no problem with them getting dry. I know Dimitri takes great pride in his packaging but he isn't the first one to use it. I purchased Cleansing Cloths from elf in 2011 when I was doing a lot of traveling and didn't want to always carry my own towel to cleanse my face. They are still available and they maintain their moisture also.

Makeup Remover Cleansing Cloths 

April is Autism Awareness/Acceptance month.