Respected Contributor

I have been using a Vitamin C serum for quite awhile.  I keep wondering, why are some so STICKY?

I am currently using Drunk Elephant, have used Skinceuticals CE Ferulic, Timeless.

The Timeless is the least sticky, and I will probably have to go back to it.  It is the least expensive, which is a plus!

If possible, the Drunk Elephant is stickier than Skinceuticals.

The one thing I have trouble tolerating in skin care is stickiness!

Hyacinth

Esteemed Contributor

@hyacinth003 wrote:

I have been using a Vitamin C serum for quite awhile.  I keep wondering, why are some so STICKY?

I am currently using Drunk Elephant, have used Skinceuticals CE Ferulic, Timeless.

The Timeless is the least sticky, and I will probably have to go back to it.  It is the least expensive, which is a plus!

If possible, the Drunk Elephant is stickier than Skinceuticals.

The one thing I have trouble tolerating in skin care is stickiness!

Hyacinth

Right now I am using Paula's Choice Vit C serum and it is a water like consistency but I have used others and never experienced that at all with any though I have heard that complaint. 

I put either a night or day (SPF) moisturizer over it so even if it did feel sticky, it would not after that. 

Is yours feeling sticky even after moisturizers @hyacinth003?

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Respected Contributor

I have had the same problem with Vit c serums and that is why I don't use them.  I cannot stand to feel something on my face.

Esteemed Contributor

I've used Vit C serums in the far-distant past that were sticky - so I know what you're talking about.  I especially remember the Ole Henrikson and 40 Carrots were so sticky I couldn't apply my makeup on top of them.  Ick.

I've used  Avalon Organics Vit C serum several years.  It's creamy and soaks right into your skin immediately.  Definitely not sticky (on me anyway).  It's not expensive (so most ladies here won't like it) and easy to purchase locally. 

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Frequent Contributor

I use Paula's Choice resist  serum with vitamin c and it is very silky on the skin. It's not sticky at all. I love it.

Trusted Contributor

@tototwo wrote:

I've used Vit C serums in the far-distant past that were sticky - so I know what you're talking about.  I especially remember the Ole Henrikson and 40 Carrots were so sticky I couldn't apply my makeup on top of them.  Ick.

I've used  Avalon Organics Vit C serum several years.  It's creamy and soaks right into your skin immediately.  Definitely not sticky (on me anyway).  It's not expensive (so most ladies here won't like it) and easy to purchase locally. 

@tototwo - Don't know how long ago you used Ole but it is anything but sticky (in my experience anyway).  When I run out I'm going to try another brand.

You mentioned Avalon and others have mentioned Mad Hippy which I noticed in Whole Foods yesterday.

Occasional Contributor

i also use the paula's choice serum, but was curious if any of you mix it with another serum, moisturizer ect. I do it and it saves time but always afraid one can dilute the other. any thoughts? and btw it is not sticky feels like water

Honored Contributor

@kassy wrote:

i also use the paula's choice serum, but was curious if any of you mix it with another serum, moisturizer ect. I do it and it saves time but always afraid one can dilute the other. any thoughts? and btw it is not sticky feels like water

@kassy, while there are some definitive no-no's in terms of mixing some skincare, I think that in general it is a matter of opinion.

My opinion is that Vit C, retinol, and BHA (probably also AHAs), and sunscreen are better applied alone and allowed to sink in. In fact, I wait at least 20 minutes after applying my 2% BHA. I Others mileage may vary.

I will, however, use moisturizer and follow up immediately with a facial oil patted on, especially under my eyes.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

Thanks, @sandraskates, I would looove to shop at a Whole Foods -- I want to see what all the buzz is about.  However, not every region of the country has WF, and I'd have to drive quite a distance to find one.  It was about 15 years ago, but what I remember about Ole's serum is that it was thin, runny, and didn't absorb well.  It just coated the surface of my skin and I didn't feel it was doing me any good.  Maybe they've changed the formula since then?    Good luck finding a new brand.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Respected Contributor

@tototwo wrote:

@tototwo

Thanks for your recommendation of the Avalon Organics Vit C serum. I ordered it a few days ago from Walmart (based on the recommendation of another poster) and am waiting for it to arrive. I haven't used a Vit C serum before and decided to add it to my skin care regimen, after reading about its benefits. When I started reading this thread, I was worried about the stickiness factor but I'm relieved you didn't find that with the Avalon Organics and I hope I don't either! Smiley Happy