Esteemed Contributor

Static electricity in my hair

With this cold weather every time I brush or comb my hair, or even just run my hand down my hair to smooth it ,I am getting massive static electricity. Does this happen to you? What's your solution?
“All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.” St. Julian of Norwich
Respected Contributor

Re: Static electricity in my hair

We have carpeting with nylon in it. When the air becomes very dry and you scoot your feet around on the carpet, static builds up. My hair is flying also.

It happens in cars too. When my former husband (now deceased) were dating, I remember sliding into his car when he picked me up from a college class, leaning across and giving him a kiss. There was a real electric shock - actually made a visible spark. It gave us both a start and a lot of laughs thru the years.

These things don't happen in the South for three seasons. It's just in the winter when the air dries out - I see you're in Mississippi. I'm in South Louisiana. It'll be over in the spring. Hang in there.

Esteemed Contributor

Yeah, Perkup (love your nic), it only happens with my hair. I'm not getting shocked walking across the carpet. It's just kind of a funny thing because I usually have to eat lunch, then touch up my lipstick and brush my hair in a big hurry to get back out to the clinic, so I'm walking out my office door with my hair practically standing straight out from the sides of my head.
“All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.” St. Julian of Norwich
Trusted Contributor

They say that you can run a dryer sheet over your hair.

Valued Contributor

There isn't enough humidity in your house. That is what causes static electricity in your hair and clothes. Best thing is to run a humidifier. At 45-50% humidity the problem will go away. Good luck.
Respected Contributor

You can spritz your comb or brush with a little water. (Then dry it on your pant leg lol)
Super Contributor

There are some well-reviewed anti-static combs & brushes at Amazon.com.

Especially-awesome (400 5-star reviews) is the ""Denman Classic Styling Brush"". I have one in my bathroom & keep one in my purse.

ETA: you can also spray ""Static Guard"" on your comb &/or brush.

Honored Contributor

On 1/8/2014 Nadjalu said: There isn't enough humidity in your house. That is what causes static electricity in your hair and clothes. Best thing is to run a humidifier. At 45-50% humidity the problem will go away. Good luck.
This is a help. You can also spray something like WEN replenishing treatment mist or Ouidad botanical boost on your brush before you use it. I get static on my clothes, but I haven't had static affect my hair since I started using WEN. I got a humidifier in November and now I only notice static when I pull acrylic clothing out of the dryer.
Trusted Contributor

This happens to me all the time, and I just run my brush or comb under water, shake off the excess, and then brush my hair.

I seem to attract static and that is why I cannot wear 100% polyester clothing. Horrible cling!