Contributor

Somewhat O/T: Any dentist or hygenist here?

I have been going to the dentist faithfully every 6 months. However, they don't measure my gums each time. During my last cleaning in September, the hygenist performed a thorough assessment and measured my gums. She was concerned and asked the dentist to see me. They referred me to a periodontist who said I had advanced periodontal disease. I almost fell off my chair. I've been leaving the dental office all these years thinking I have nothing to worry about. Turns out, I had deep pockets on the bottom sides of my teeth. I've since had surgery on both sides.

I"ve contacted my dentist and asked how this could have happened and so rapidly? He said that his office has been monitoring my teeth for a while and that teeth/gums could change quickly in 6 months time. I feel he and his colleagues were neglectful with my teeth/gum. I can no longer eat anything hard such as almonds and have sensitivity issues with certain food when I bite on them; not to mention out of money.

The dental community is small and words gets around quickly. I'm thinking about changing my dentist, but am fearful that my dentist may discuss my case with other dentists and speak negatively about me. Should I stay with him or move on?

In the meantime, I hope my teeth don't fall out Smiley Sad