Super Contributor

Re: Something i see here in florida a lot....

On 3/28/2014 Pook said:

Most doctors try to alarm everyone with the skin cancer scare and tell people they had skin cancer when all they were were what some doctors call pre cancerous spots and not cancer. They are made to feel they must have them removed and I know of at least 5 people who did not and gee whiz 25 years later no skin cancer!! Also the only ones I know of that actually had skin cancer were pasty white women who rarely ventured out in the sun and when they did wore all the chemical sunscreens and kept reapplying it. I am not convinced the sun is the problem.

you can believe whatever you want to believe, but my brother had always tanned, and was never 'pasty white'. He was smart enough to go to a Derm and get his melanoma removed (and protect himself from any future problems). The sun in FL is the strongest in the U.S. and those who don't protect themselves are fools. JMHO

Super Contributor

On 3/28/2014 MarenSeattle said:
On 3/28/2014 Vamp said:

My dermatologist says there is no such thing as a "healthy tan".

That's been my mantra for years -- it's an oxymoron in my book

I was just thinking about this the other day when I was trying to find a zinc-heavy sunscreen for my hands. My mind went back to the days when women always wore gloves (and hats) to protect from the sun. In days of REALLY old, the fairer the better. The only ones who were tanned were the laborers who worked in the fields. I think it was Coco Chanel who really changed the attitude. Having enough money to vacation on the French Riviera on the back of your yacht (and tanning) became the look everyone wanted to achieve. So tanned skin started to represent money and a life of leisure.

I doubt we'll return to hats, gloves and parasols, but thankfully we've become aware of the health and beauty risks.

I have read that the Chinese tend to wear masks and protective clothing. They tend to have a lower rate of melanoma and considering the population that is not bad.

Super Contributor

SPF only tells us half the story!

It only indicates protection against UVB rays. The burning rays (and the rays they currently think cause skin cancer).

When the alarms started going off several years ago, the sunscreen of choice was a product called PreSun. Its claim to fame was that it blocked the harmful UVB burning rays, but allowed the "healthy" UVA rays through so we could still achieve that "healthy glow".

If you're only concerned about UVB, then SPF ratings are adequate.

But if you're concerned about UVA (the "aging" rays) then you need to pay attention to the UVA protection

A UVA/UVB rating system has been in place in pretty much the rest of the world for YEARS. I just don't understand why the U.S. ratings are so far behind and inadequate.

As long as you don't have to turn on the lights, you're getting UV exposure -- even through the windows. That's why, for example, people who drive on the right side of the road have more skin cancer on the right side of their faces, and we have more on the left.

And don't believe the "Broad Spectrum" claims at face value. For example, most use titanium dixoide, and although it does a pretty good job of UVB protection, it really offers only UVA protection against the short UVA rays. The best I've found is zinc oxide (I love it) which protects against Long AND Short UVA rays, AND UVB. It's truly a "block".

The other day I was looking for a zinc-heavy product I could use as a hand cream -- my facial sunblocks are too pricey to slather on several times a day. Except for one or two, every single sunscreen (these were in the drugstore) had Avobenzone -- a chemical sunscreen which, if I recall correctly, can actually break down in sun exposure. Anyway, I don't want the chemical stuff, I want the physical stuff.

But my point is, if you're as whack about it as I am, don't think you're totally protected because of a high SPF factor. And find out what they're calling "Broad Spectrum".

Okay. I'll shut up now. :-)

Honored Contributor

On 3/28/2014 Ladybug724 said:
On 3/28/2014 suzyQ3 said:

I think that the OP started this up again because she simply can't help herself.

I don't think for a second that this was about matching the neck to the face or whatever the heck she said. She, supposedly a former nurse, has in the past clearly talked lovingly about her tan.

A nurse who talks lovingly about her tan? Wouldn't a nurse know the actual definition of a tan?

And again, the OP sets up a strawman argument, scolding those who she claims are radical in their avoidance of the sun. I have met very few people in my long life who are radical avoiders of the sun.

Most of really don't have a problem walking to our mailbox or chatting with someone for a few minutes. But that should NOT result in a tan.

If you're getting a tan, you are damaging your skin. Period. You risk premature aging (wrinkles, rough texture -- picture older folks in beach communities who spent all their time outside unprotected). And you risk various types of skin cancer that range from mild (although potentially very disfiguring) to very deadly.

I loved the sun. I sunbathed almost obsessively up through my 20s. I'm in my 60s now and am suffering from my blatant stupidity. I've had hideously painful treatments for actinic (solar) keratoses, which are precancerous.

The treatment was probably the worst medical situation I've had to endure and will not do it again, which could pose a very serious problem for me in the future. I've also had to have a biopsy on my nose, which thankfully, this time, was benign. And my medical history pales (pun intended) in comparison to what so many have gone through.

I don't take this topic lightly. And it disgusts me that this happy housewife considers it one of her main themes around here.

Oh SuzyQ! I'm so sorry you had to go through that. If you don't mind my asking, what exactly is actinic and how did you know you had it?

A fireman my husband worked with was diagnosed with cancerous skin cells, just a tiny little patch that he never would have noticed without an exam. He went through some painful (and often humiliating) exams and treatments as well.

Ladybug, actinic (also called "solar,") keratoses can be hard to spot. They may be just a little rough, scaly patch. They are a direct result of sun rays and take years to develop. They should be treated because they have the potential to develop into squamous cell skin cancer.

I can't recall the sequence of events now, but I have been getting body checks for skin cancer for some time now. So either my derm pointed them out, or I asked her about some spots.

Here's the kicker, though: I mentioned that I was treated for them with a very potent topical cream (Efudex). This treatment not only destroys the visible spots but goes deeper and destroys any that have risen to the surface yet.

So a person who has ACs that are not visible yet will light up like a Christmas tree from this treatment. I did. I took pictures, too. It was hideous and hideously painful to the point where I did my best but had to stop at some point. My derm said I did a good job, though. I didn't leave the house for several weeks when it was at its worst.

And I saw pics online of other people undergoing this treatment that were even far worse than I. {#emotions_dlg.scared}

So now, if more arise (remember, they take years to show up), I'm at a loss. I will not ever do that treatment again. I would advise it for others who need it, but I just can't do it again. My hope is that the two rounds I did were enough to get the damage I incurred up to my twenties. After that, I have been protecting my skin pretty well.

Sorry for such a long post here. I don't know whether that answers your questions. I suggest googling actinic keratoses. There are several excellent sites (mayo clinic is good.)

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Regular Contributor

On 3/28/2014 Peetie57 said:

This is on Topic that I feel I need to chime in on. I have never been a Sun worshipper. I have had some tans, I don't tan very easily, very fair skinned. I have never used sunscreen in my life, I just turned 57 this week, until May of 2012 when I was Diagnosed with MELANOMA! I had a small spot on the back of my left arm for almost a year. Never thought much about it until one day a lady was in my office, (which I believe she was sent by GOD, will not get into this), and noticed the spot, which had turned totally Black, and made a statement that it just didn't look good. She was a Melanoma survivor.

I had a biopsy done, 10 days later, I received the call that it was cancer. I had to go about 3 weeks later for surgery. They also did a body check and there was another spot I pointed out to them on the bottom of my left leg and on my behind. Took Biopsy of both. Had the surgery on my arm, which was VERY close to spreading into my Lymph nodes. Took 1 hour and 30 mins for the surgery. We had left for vacation a few days after this. I had just checked us into the hotel and got the call on the other Biopsy's. The one on my behind was Basil cell carcinoma, my leg was MELANOMA. My leg also got infected while we were on vacation. Had to go to the Derm as soon as I got home and started on Antibiotics. Then surgery again. It looks like there has been a HUGE bite taken out of my leg. It has affected the tendons in the bottom of my leg into the top part of my foot. It swells and it is difficult to wear some shoes.

I have also had a Basil Cell removed from my forehead and on my stomach. I have to go every 6 months for a Body check. So, I will agree with the ladies that stated their Derm told them there is "No healthy Tan", because I, THANK GOD, am living proof that there isn't, not when it comes to the Sun, at least NOT FOR THIS GIRL!!

Sorry this was a little long, and I could have gotten into a whole lot more. But, My Derm did tell me that they have been seeing a LOT more young ladies in the past few years with Melanoma then ever before.

I feel like a fool for my piddly medical experiences. All I can say is how glad I am that all this was caught early and that, despite the adverse consequences, you have recovered.

NO, NO, NO! You do not ever apologize for expressing your Medical experiences! I'm sure that was a very frightening time for you. Thank you for your well wishes and if you are a Praying woman, I would very much appreciate your prayers. GOD has been SO good to me. I believe also, HE wants me to be a witness to others about this, and I do try in my own weak way. It doesn't bother me in the least to approach someone if I see a suspicious spot. This is just something that I have to keep a very close check on and hopefully, will not have to endure anymore Melanoma! Ugly stuff!! {#emotions_dlg.crying}

Super Contributor

I think that the OP started this up again because she simply can't help herself.

I don't think for a second that this was about matching the neck to the face or whatever the heck she said. She, supposedly a former nurse, has in the past clearly talked lovingly about her tan.

A nurse who talks lovingly about her tan? Wouldn't a nurse know the actual definition of a tan?

And again, the OP sets up a strawman argument, scolding those who she claims are radical in their avoidance of the sun. I have met very few people in my long life who are radical avoiders of the sun.

Most of really don't have a problem walking to our mailbox or chatting with someone for a few minutes. But that should NOT result in a tan.

If you're getting a tan, you are damaging your skin. Period. You risk premature aging (wrinkles, rough texture -- picture older folks in beach communities who spent all their time outside unprotected). And you risk various types of skin cancer that range from mild (although potentially very disfiguring) to very deadly.

I loved the sun. I sunbathed almost obsessively up through my 20s. I'm in my 60s now and am suffering from my blatant stupidity. I've had hideously painful treatments for actinic (solar) keratoses, which are precancerous.

The treatment was probably the worst medical situation I've had to endure and will not do it again, which could pose a very serious problem for me in the future. I've also had to have a biopsy on my nose, which thankfully, this time, was benign. And my medical history pales (pun intended) in comparison to what so many have gone through.

I don't take this topic lightly. And it disgusts me that this happy housewife considers it one of her main themes around here.

suzy, I referenced you earlier in this thread as someone who knew a lot about this subject. I think the good information you have shared will more than likely make some people think about the OP's careless, misinformed opinions about the sun. I thank you for that and hope you are doing well....

Super Contributor

On 3/28/2014 Peetie57 said:

This is on Topic that I feel I need to chime in on. I have never been a Sun worshipper. I have had some tans, I don't tan very easily, very fair skinned. I have never used sunscreen in my life, I just turned 57 this week, until May of 2012 when I was Diagnosed with MELANOMA! I had a small spot on the back of my left arm for almost a year. Never thought much about it until one day a lady was in my office, (which I believe she was sent by GOD, will not get into this), and noticed the spot, which had turned totally Black, and made a statement that it just didn't look good. She was a Melanoma survivor.

I had a biopsy done, 10 days later, I received the call that it was cancer. I had to go about 3 weeks later for surgery. They also did a body check and there was another spot I pointed out to them on the bottom of my left leg and on my behind. Took Biopsy of both. Had the surgery on my arm, which was VERY close to spreading into my Lymph nodes. Took 1 hour and 30 mins for the surgery. We had left for vacation a few days after this. I had just checked us into the hotel and got the call on the other Biopsy's. The one on my behind was Basil cell carcinoma, my leg was MELANOMA. My leg also got infected while we were on vacation. Had to go to the Derm as soon as I got home and started on Antibiotics. Then surgery again. It looks like there has been a HUGE bite taken out of my leg. It has affected the tendons in the bottom of my leg into the top part of my foot. It swells and it is difficult to wear some shoes.

I have also had a Basil Cell removed from my forehead and on my stomach. I have to go every 6 months for a Body check. So, I will agree with the ladies that stated their Derm told them there is "No healthy Tan", because I, THANK GOD, am living proof that there isn't, not when it comes to the Sun, at least NOT FOR THIS GIRL!!

Sorry this was a little long, and I could have gotten into a whole lot more. But, My Derm did tell me that they have been seeing a LOT more young ladies in the past few years with Melanoma then ever before.

It sounds like you have been through quite a lot and I thank you for your most informative post. My heart goes out to you and sharing your experiences here will hopefully make an impact about the fact that there is no such thing as a healthy tan.

Prayers and good wishes for you!

Super Contributor

On 3/28/2014 MJ 12 said:
On 3/28/2014 serenity4ever said:
On 3/28/2014 happy housewife said: I wonder how many of the women here have emotional issues because of lack of exposure to the sun? Sunshine is very good for a person's emotional health and well being too.

Now that is worthy of a . I would think women who were into sunning themselves would be a lot more depressed when they woke up in the morning and saw all the wrinkles it caused them.

Hi Serenity! I will see your and raise you a

Hope you see this quickly before it gets reported like yours was.

Waving to MJ.....

Honored Contributor

I thought you said you had freckles. People with freckles should beware. It nixes your Italian side, which even dark skinned Italians have to worry.

Bob Marley died from melanoma skin cancer.

Super Contributor

The ignorance in this thread is simply staggering.

I'm only 46 and had a basal cell carcinoma removed from my forehead about six months ago. I used to try to tan when I was young (stupid) but now I will embrace my ""pasty whiteness.""

Good luck to all those who are recovering.