Super Contributor

Re: Something i see here in florida a lot....

On 3/28/2014 Buck-i-Nana said:

Why do you start this debate every single year? You KNOW nobody here ever changes anyone elses mind regarding this issue. Starting it out as a commentary of skin color under the chin and on the neck just makes it all that much more contentious.

You love this don't you.

Honored Contributor

On 3/28/2014 azterry! said:
On 3/28/2014 Buck-i-Nana said:

Why do you start this debate every single year? You KNOW nobody here ever changes anyone elses mind regarding this issue. Starting it out as a commentary of skin color under the chin and on the neck just makes it all that much more contentious.

You love this don't you.

I did not start this arguement - i simply stated that when you tan - those who do tan - need to tan evenly everywhere because it looks funny to not tan your face or under your neck. The radical sun haters jumped onto the antisun bandwagon - because if they don't want any sun then NO ONE ELSE is allowed any sun either.
Honored Contributor

On 3/28/2014 ivey said:

My doctor told me to get 10 minutes of sun a day for Vitamin D, too.

Most people can't get enough D from doing that. Just being in the sun is not going to do it. The further away from the equator the less likely it is that it will help. Also, there are a lot of other variables that make it unlikely to help. The older we get the harder it is for us for convert & use any from sunlight to the form we can use. Most doctors say to avoid the sun, use sunscreen, and supplement D3. It is safer & more likely to help.

I live in Florida & became deficient in D3 at a time when I was outside in the sun a lot on a daily basis. I know many people who have had the same experience.

Super Contributor

On 3/28/2014 Vamp said:
On 3/28/2014 serenity4ever said:
On 3/28/2014 Vamp said:

My dermatologist says there is no such thing as a "healthy tan".

Mine too. I have friends who believed like the OP and they have had to deal with skin cancer. It was a nightmare for them...

I, too, have lost a few friends to skin cancer. It is horrible. One was only 28 years old. {#emotions_dlg.sad}

suzyQ3 is extremely well versed on the dangers of the sun. She wrote a very serious post here one day that really touched me. She has posted in the past that no suntan is safe and I believe her and the numerous physicians I have spoken to who believe the same.

I have seen studies of twins where one looked years older that had a lot of sun exposure and the other never sunbathed and had beautiful skin.

Super Contributor

On 3/28/2014 happy housewife said: I wonder how many of the women here have emotional issues because of lack of exposure to the sun? Sunshine is very good for a person's emotional health and well being too.

Now that is worthy of a . I would think women who were into sunning themselves would be a lot more depressed when they woke up in the morning and saw all the wrinkles it caused them.

Super Contributor

There really is no such thing as a "healthy tan". It is only some people's perception that a "little sun" makes you look healthier. The Vitamin D thing is 15 minutes per day with no sunscreen. Period. Funny thing about Florida, there seems to be a dermatologist on every corner, their ads flood the televisions, and their faces fill every billboard. I think like so many other things in life, until you or a loved one has a melanoma diagnosis, you rationalize it however you wish. Frankly, I'm concerned now about all the faux tanners being so widely used.

Honored Contributor

On 3/28/2014 Vamp said:

My dermatologist says there is no such thing as a ""healthy tan"".

Your derm is correct.

Respected Contributor

Waiting for Mr. Sun to shine up here in Pa. I don't know why you people are jumping on HH she made a statement about a neck and she is correct. It is just the same thing if you only wear tops that leave strap marks were the sun doesn't tan then you go and put some kind of clothes on and there are your strap marks all white. She never said to go and sit in the sun for 8 or 10 hours. If your afraid wear long sleeves and a hat, then you won't have to worry.By the way look in some magazines and also how many doctors have told people to get out in the sun shine and you will feel better. Don't tell me no one has ever told you that. Maybe you live were the sun shines constantly but up here we have very little sun in the winter. My neighbor who swears she needs sunshine sits in her window and lets the sun shine on her if we have any in the winter. I can honestly tell you she is ill right now for lack of sun and when we finally start getting some sunny days we will see her perk up and she will be 100% better.

Honored Contributor

On 3/28/2014 serenity4ever said:
On 3/28/2014 happy housewife said: I wonder how many of the women here have emotional issues because of lack of exposure to the sun? Sunshine is very good for a person's emotional health and well being too.

Now that is worthy of a . I would think women who were into sunning themselves would be a lot more depressed when they woke up in the morning and saw all the wrinkles it caused them.

Hi Serenity! I will see your and raise you a

Hope you see this quickly before it gets reported like yours was.

Honored Contributor

Too bad that so many of the women on this BB - esp. this beauty board have to ALWAYS tke such a radical stance on things - all things. they just can't understand the concept of moderation in anything. SAD.