Not applicable

I just finished a bottle of Fall Apple Spice, although I strongly disliked the scent (although this is not what this post is about). In addition to the issue with the scent, I noticed that it left a sludgy substance in my shower that was hard to wash down/clean up. I've been using WEN for years and don't think I've noticed that before with any other product. But I thought I'd ask you experts -- are there certain scents where you've found this happens? I don't want to order another like this if possible. Thanks!

Super Contributor
On 12/31/2013 chickenmoo said:
On 12/30/2013 FinnyMinny said:

You know what works REALLY well on a slow drain: baking soda and white vinegar, followed by boiling water. It's super cheap and doesn't cause any of the damage that many drain cleaners can. You have to wait til the water has all gone down, and then dump a bunch of baking soda in there, then glug some white vinegar on top. Then let it do it's thing while you boil a big pot of water. By the time the water is done boiling, the fizzy bubbles will have died down, and you can dump the boiling water straight down the drain. I had a slow drain for a long time and I had to keep doing this. It worked wonderfully!! Then I took the drain apart and realized that part of it had been installed upsidedown, so when I put it back together correctly the water could drain properly and didn't have a chance for stuff to accumulate and cause the slow drain I'd been experiencing. I also use baking soda and white vinegar to clean pet stains on the rug -- no scrubbing required!!!

Couldn't agree more FinnyMinny!! Baking soda is awesome for everything! I bought a giant sack of it from Sams Club...For pennies, I can clear my drains, clean everything, plus exfoliate my face. Love it!!

I love that recipe to clean drains too...We're on septic and those chemical cleaners are beyond bad Smiley Sad I try to be very very careful with our septic, since we had issues before that cost us a couple thousand dollars to fix. Baking soda is awesome to clear my slow running drains and scrub the toilet bowl--without damaging chemicals!! Smiley Happy

I third the baking soda vinegar for drains I do it to all the drains in the house about once a month. I don't like the idea of the Drano type things going into the water system but I know that is what most people use, but by being a little proactive with the baking soda, I haven't had a clog in years. I did buy Drano for the plastic thingy attached once so that I would have a tool to pull out the hair that hangs stuck on the drain. Haven't had to use the Drano yet!

Super Contributor
On 12/31/2013 chickenmoo said:
On 12/30/2013 FinnyMinny said:

You know what works REALLY well on a slow drain: baking soda and white vinegar, followed by boiling water. It's super cheap and doesn't cause any of the damage that many drain cleaners can. You have to wait til the water has all gone down, and then dump a bunch of baking soda in there, then glug some white vinegar on top. Then let it do it's thing while you boil a big pot of water. By the time the water is done boiling, the fizzy bubbles will have died down, and you can dump the boiling water straight down the drain. I had a slow drain for a long time and I had to keep doing this. It worked wonderfully!! Then I took the drain apart and realized that part of it had been installed upsidedown, so when I put it back together correctly the water could drain properly and didn't have a chance for stuff to accumulate and cause the slow drain I'd been experiencing. I also use baking soda and white vinegar to clean pet stains on the rug -- no scrubbing required!!!

Couldn't agree more FinnyMinny!! Baking soda is awesome for everything! I bought a giant sack of it from Sams Club...For pennies, I can clear my drains, clean everything, plus exfoliate my face. Love it!!

I love that recipe to clean drains too...We're on septic and those chemical cleaners are beyond bad Smiley Sad I try to be very very careful with our septic, since we had issues before that cost us a couple thousand dollars to fix. Baking soda is awesome to clear my slow running drains and scrub the toilet bowl--without damaging chemicals!! Smiley Happy

I third the baking soda vinegar for drains I do it to all the drains in the house about once a month. I don't like the idea of the Drano type things going into the water system but I know that is what most people use, but by being a little proactive with the baking soda, I haven't had a clog in years. I did buy Drano for the plastic thingy attached once so that I would have a tool to pull out the hair that hangs stuck on the drain. Haven't had to use the Drano yet!

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

VINEGAR RINSE....Just get a spray bottle of vinegar mix, say 3 to 1, and spray the shower and drain after your shower while things are still wet. I also keep a green scrubbing pad in the shower and use my foot to scrub away at the floor while it is all nice and soaked from the shower. I have hair issues clogging the drain, so I got one of those drain snakes you see on TV with the bit of velcro on the end. They work wonderfully if you have a drain that you can get it down. My master shower has a drain cover that has slats that are too narrow for it to get out with all the gunk on it, so I do treatments of baking soda and vinegar, let sit 15 minutes, then rinse with boiling water from the kettle. I have a septic system and don't like using harsh chemicals, though I typically don't use harsh chemicals around the house anyway.

Honored Contributor
On 12/30/2013 viwanton said:
On 12/30/2013 susan_ca said:

In addition to a lot of hair in the drain, the residue of the product clogs it (the drain) much faster than when I do not use WEN.

When I use only WEN, I need to clean my drain at least twice per week.

When I use regular shampoo and conditioner, I clean my drain perhaps once per month.... if that.

There must be something wrong with your drains. I've lived in the same place for over a decade and have NEVER had to "clean" a drain.

Sorry for the wall of text - I'm posting from my iPhone. This seems ridiculous to me. I've always had to clean drains because I've always had long hair and, when I was young, shared a bathroom with a sister with even longer hair. It's a thing that happens and it doesn't mean the the drains are defective. WEN formulas are different and I've even noticed that they react differently under different water conditions, like temperature and mineral content. I was using Winter Cranberry Mint in my Austin apartment last month and, when I cleaned the drain, I noticed that there were small clumps of WEN in it. I hadn't noticed that before, but I had also noticed that WCM is thicker than my normal Fig and Tea Tree formulas. I've been in California this week and have been using Summer Mango Coconut. The water setting here is hotter and the water has fewer minerals in it and my WEN rinses faster and I seem to need fewer pumps to do my cleanses. The drain here has a built-in screen over it, versus the purchased plastic screen I use to cover my drain in Texas. The drain here needs to be swept clear every 10 minutes or it starts to drain slowly. (Again, long hair clogs a drain faster.) My sister tried WEN here once and reported it made the tub slippery, which I had never experienced. Last week I didn't sweep the drain clear while I was showering and the water went over the tops of my feet. I finished my shower and cleared the drain screen after it drained. Since the water drained so slowly, it included the since water from my second WEN cleanse. The next morning, the tub was slippery, just like my sister reported. Each day since, I've made sure to sweep the drain screen several times during my shower and the drain never slows and the tub floor is never slippery. My sister's hair is so long that she looks like Cousin It from behind, so I imagine the drain screen clogs even faster for her. Just because you don't have the same experience as someone else does not mean they're making it up or something is defective. Try to understand that the world is larger than just you and your own experiences and be maybe you will be helpful.