Respected Contributor

Re: Shawn and Josie Vendor are you aware of the wrong info you both gave ??

@juperier wrote:

The big problem is that there are so many interprettions of what all these terms mean. As others have stated, everything (except light and electricity) is composed of chemicals. Thus those who wish to avoid ALL chemicals need to avoid water and food, as well as an exposure to clothing, shelter, etc. Also, ingredient lists often contain the scientific name for many ingredients. "Natural" ingredients can be harmful, or even deadly, to some people, while "artificial" ingredients may have proven themselves safe, even beneficial. Amount involved also plays a part. A really basic example of that would be water, which is composed of the chemicals hydrogen and oxygen. We all need it to live, but consuming too much in too short a period of time has caused death.

AKA - It's the dose that makes the poison.  ITA

Valued Contributor

@juperier wrote:

The big problem is that there are so many interprettions of what all these terms mean. As others have stated, everything (except light and electricity) is composed of chemicals. Thus those who wish to avoid ALL chemicals need to avoid water and food, as well as an exposure to clothing, shelter, etc. Also, ingredient lists often contain the scientific name for many ingredients. "Natural" ingredients can be harmful, or even deadly, to some people, while "artificial" ingredients may have proven themselves safe, even beneficial. Amount involved also plays a part. A really basic example of that would be water, which is composed of the chemicals hydrogen and oxygen. We all need it to live, but consuming too much in too short a period of time has caused death.

@juperier, an accurate, excellent explanation!

"Behold! We are not bound forever to the circles of the world, and beyond them is more than memory." J.R.R. Tolkien
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Everyone is entitled to put whatever they want on their bodies. But I do think the claims and statements are very misleading. Josie just described a product as "just Argan oil and honey." You have to read the ingredients of products before buying. You'll see below that it's not just Argan oil and honey...

Divine Drip Honey Butter Balm INGREDIENTS: Aqua (Water), Isopropyl Palmitate, Caprylic/Capric
Triglyceride, Cetearyl Alcohol, Glyceryl Stearate, Cocoglycerides, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Glycerin,
Pyrus Malus (Apple) Fruit Extract, Lauryl Laurate, Propylheptyl Caprylate, Myristyl Myristate, Bentonite,
Honey, Argania Spinosa (Argan) Kernel Oil, Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa) Seed Butter, Butyrospermum
Parkii (Shea Butter), Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Behenyl
Alcohol, Citric Acid, Copernicia Cerifera (Carnauba) Wax, Ethylhexylglycerin, Lecithin, Macadamia
Ternifolia Seed Oil, Mangifera Indica (Mango) Seed Butter, Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil, Panthenol,
Persea Gratissima (Avocado) Oil, Polyglyceryl-3 Diisostearate, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil,
Sodium Stearoyl Glutamate, Tocopherol, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Oil, Xanthan Gum, Lonicera
Caprifolium (Honeysuckle) Flower Extract, Lonicera Japonica (Honeysuckle) Flower Extract, Potassium
Sorbate, Sodium Benzoate, Parfum (Fragrance).

Valued Contributor

@juperier wrote:

Truth.

I am a pharmacist specializing in toxicology and nothing frosts my cookies more than when people blanketly assume that 'all natural' is always good and 'man made' is always bad.  Most of the most deadly substances known are 100% straight from the earth natural.  Same thing with the " no chemicals" nonsense. 

"I never put anything in my body that has too many syllables/ that I can't pronounce"

How about ascorbic acid?  Cyanocobalamin?  Pyridoxine?

Those are vitamin C, B12 and B6, respectively.  Every substance has a chemical formula; a chemical structure.  

Respected Contributor

@tantallum wrote:

@juperier wrote:

Truth.

I am a pharmacist specializing in toxicology and nothing frosts my cookies more than when people blanketly assume that 'all natural' is always good and 'man made' is always bad.  Most of the most deadly substances known are 100% straight from the earth natural.  Same thing with the " no chemicals" nonsense. 

"I never put anything in my body that has too many syllables/ that I can't pronounce"

How about ascorbic acid?  Cyanocobalamin?  Pyridoxine?

Those are vitamin C, B12 and B6, respectively.  Every substance has a chemical formula; a chemical structure.  

@Tantallum, my cookies share space in the icebox with yours!  You really should post more!!!