Trusted Contributor

Sephora VIB - what are the real advantages?

I'm now a Sephora VIB after spending a ridiculous amount of money there, but am not clear on the advantages. The samples I received at check out were nothing different, I will apparently learn about "new products" sooner....not a big deal as I don't like buying anything until I've read reviews....are there any material advantages to being a VIB? Freebies or discounts?
Super Contributor

Re: Sephora VIB - what are the real advantages?

Well, you get the big discount once or twice a year...and with the price of some stuff that is NEVER on sale, I guess that is a good deal. But you have to have spent $300 during the year...

Honored Contributor

lol, nothing! I was a VIB for the first three or so years it was out and it was nothing special. Certainly not something worth purposely aspiring to!

Valued Contributor

You get a 20% discount instead of the BI 15% but you don't get invited to a VIB sale only. Also think when I got one of those sales card with a certian dollar discount I got $20 off such & such, versus as a BI $15 off such & such. TBH there really isn't that big of an advantage you don't end up saving much more money than a BI. Sephora overall is disappointing in the number of sales they offer, only 2 a year regardless if your a BI or a VIB.

Honored Contributor

Remember, while you are earning your VIB privileges, you pay for shipping if you do not purchase 45 or 50 dollars or more.

I liked the old days with the old VIB. I have shopped once this year at Sephora. Their stuff is never on sale, and big whoopdeeee do, 20% once or twice a year. Not worth it. I just shop at Perricone, Nordies and Neimans. Free shipping and returns always, on ANY amount. They have the same deal twice a year, and you get points, even double points. with better rewRDS. A 100-250 points for a sample lip gloss, or a tablespoon of hand lotion?

The free samples are horrible most of the time, and the point gifts are nothing like they used to be. They are just a different store to me. I used to spend a lot of money there, and buy most of my beauty items there. It is just not as unique as it used to be.

I am probably in the minority, but it's JMHO

Trusted Contributor

I now almost exclusively shop at Ulta. There are LOTS of sales, coupons, discounts and incentives. I am a Platinum member so I get extra discounts, unrestricted coupons, extra points, etc. Also, when I accrue points I get money off future orders instead of the gifts from Sephora that I never liked anyway. Often they have free shipping on $25.

Ulta also sells drugstore brands. I stock up when they have BOGOs on NYX, Physician's Formula, nail polish, etc. and they usually have a $3.50 off $10 purchase coupon that can be used on these products.

Valued Contributor

i'm a rouge and rarely shop at sephora any longer. i prefer having working directly with a commissioned sales associate. they're the best, in my opinion.

"If I am not for myself, who will be for me? But if I am only for myself, who am I? If not now, when?" Hillel
Regular Contributor

I am rouge also, but don't intend to purposely maintain my status when it expires next year. It just so happens that I have 2 Sephoras within 5 minute walking distance of me. There are no Ulta's nearby, so I merely go for convenience.

Valued Contributor

On 11/21/2014 Serena-1130 said:

I am rouge also, but don't intend to purposely maintain my status when it expires next year. It just so happens that I have 2 Sephoras within 5 minute walking distance of me. There are no Ulta's nearby, so I merely go for convenience.

Serena, your situation sounds exactly like mine! LOL - wonder if we're neighbors and don't even know it.

The problem with Ultra for me, even if there were one close by, is that the things I want are always excluded from the coupons.

"Behold! We are not bound forever to the circles of the world, and beyond them is more than memory." J.R.R. Tolkien
Trusted Contributor

A discount is nice. I'll look forward to getting that. I've never been a VIB before. I purchased a few fragrance gifts and a nice blowdryer for myself this past week and bam, got an email saying that I'm a VIB! So I thought that would be something special, but found nothing that excited me about the status at first peek. I wish I'd gotten the 20% discount before I purchased my Drybar Buttercup kit, but I suppose that's what made me a VIB lol Smiley Wink