Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Self Tanner Prob.! Spots!!!!

Please Help!

Surely I am not the only one that has experienced this problem: Age spots showing up all over legs and forearms, after using self tanner!

It looks like I should just connect the dots and then I would have a tan....this is such a mess that I have been exfoliating and drenching my dried out skin in heavy duty body cream.

I have only used drugstore tanners mainly, for the past few years it's been Coppertone. I have always had somewhat of a prob. with a few spots showing up, but in the last 2 weeks it started looking like a disease! Went to derm. and the bad news is age spots showing up!

If anyone has any advice, I will surely try. I am so white I look "blue" without a little color! How will I ever wear a skirt or walking shorts? But the spots look worse than pasty white, I suppose.....

Thanks to anyone that answers!

Re: Self Tanner Prob.! Spots!!!!

I had this same problem.  It's not an easy one to solve because the solution for me is very time consuming.   When I only had a handful of spots I would just dab a little bit of lotion on them before I put on the tanner and they would not darken.  This worked until I had hundreds of them.  Now I just have to put lotion all over my legs before applying the tanner.  This isn't a great solution because the tanner doesn't work as well and it takes more applications to get a good color but the added lotion seems to keep the tanner from sticking to the dry spots as badly.  It takes practice to figure out which lotion to use and how much to apply but it's better than white pasty legs. 

Another solution is to get your legs very dark.  The spots seem to go to the darkest color on the first application but the rest of the legs takes several applications.  That actually works pretty well also if you don't mind being really dark. 

Remember that other people aren't as close to your legs as you are so you're legs don't look as bad to everyone else as they do to you.  They just look like freckles.  Good Luck. 

Super Contributor

The only real solution is to be happy being paler.  I'm porcelain, so I burn after any sun with max sun screen.  I use some self tanners if I have time to prep before I go out into the sun on vacation to keep from burning as bad because the extra color helps block the sun for me with max sun screen every hour.  If I don't, I'm pink/red within 20 minutes.  I'm happy being healthy and pale. 

Super Contributor

I have also had this problem. The reason is that any little freckle on your skin will grab the color and balloon up. I have not found a solution other than to stop faux tanning. This has been hard to do because I have always been a lover of tanned skin (only from a self tanner). It gets frustrating because it will look good for 2 days and then those darn spots appear. Also I do believe that it gets worse the more product that you use. I am sorry that I don't have a solution. However, I can tell you a quick way to get rid of your tan. Use Nair or Veet and it wipes all of the tan right off.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Exact same thing happened to me a couple of years ago. Self tanners just weren't gonna cut it anymore 'cuz age spots (from all that bad tanning I did in my younger years) have started to show up.  A friend recommended a bronzer powder by Doll 10 and it's wonderful!  I use a big brush for really quick application to my arms, legs, etc. And, no smell whatsoever like sun tanners, which makes me beyond happy.  It gives me the same subtle sunkisssed look as self tanners, but the age spots are no longer magnified and scary looking like they are with any self tanner.

I appreciate all of the comments made and am somewhat in a panic because I like to use self tanners (was using Bare Minerals self tanner).  Otherwise, my legs are so white with blue veins showing also.  But now, I am getting tons of brown spots on my legs a arms!  I don't know which is worse now, white legs or tan legs full of dark brown spots.  I had thought I could scrub them off , but as I read more, the brown spots are actually skin imperfections caused by old age or too much sun in younger years.   Is there any way to remove these spots other than using lotion before tanning?

Super Contributor

It is almost impossible to correct this problem. I have face the same thing. Some people have suggested putting lotion on your spots but I never bothered to do that. What I have found is when I so use a self tanner, my skin seems to show spots that would normally not even be noticeable. One product that I am using this Summer is Clarins Golden GLow Booster for the Body.This is mixed with your body moisturizer. It gives a subtle color not that back from the beach look. It doesn't accentuate any freckles. It is pricey $45 for a very small bottle. You only use 4-6 drops per body part. I found this product at Sephora.

Let's Stay in Touch

* *You're signing up to receive QVC promotional email.
Connect with Us

The scoop on everything Q, from helpful tips to interesting tidbits, questions, answers, and more.

QVC is not responsible for the availability, content, security, policies, or practices of the above referenced third-party linked sites, nor liable for statements, claims, opinions, or representations contained therein. QVC's Privacy Statement does not apply to these third-party web sites.

© 1995–2015 QVC, Inc. All rights reserved. Trademark Notice

Desktop View Mobile View