Regular Contributor

Sarah Potempa Beachwaver VS Calista Perfecter?? Suggestions

[ Edited ]

Which would you recomend for someone who has thin straight hair?? or another suggestion?? I have lots of hair but it doesn't do much. It doesn't hold a curl easy. Thanks so much!! 

Respected Contributor

Re: Sarah Potempa Beachwaver VS Calista Perfecter?? Suggestions

I've tried and sent back the Calista - I tried to make the waves the way they showed on air - it's impossible!  The Beachwaver had really good reviews the last time I checked it out.

Honored Contributor

I had both. My hair is very long but not very thick.

The Perfector was totally useless. Gave no volume and no curls. What little wave I got, fell out before I got to work. It continually got stuck in my hair no matter how careful I was.

I gave it to my sis who has thick hair styled just like Jill Bauer. Thought it would work for her but she has little results and rarely uses it. Waste of money.

I have had the Beachwaver since it was first debuted. The more expensive original. It is worth every penny. Easy to use. Loose waves or tight spirals. The curls last literally until I wash them out. Best tool I ever purchased.

Good luck on your decision.

Trusted Contributor

@RespectLife wrote:

I had both. My hair is very long but not very thick.

The Perfector was totally useless. Gave no volume and no curls. What little wave I got, fell out before I got to work. It continually got stuck in my hair no matter how careful I was.

I gave it to my sis who has thick hair styled just like Jill Bauer. Thought it would work for her but she has little results and rarely uses it. Waste of money.

I have had the Beachwaver since it was first debuted. The more expensive original. It is worth every penny. Easy to use. Loose waves or tight spirals. The curls last literally until I wash them out. Best tool I ever purchased.

Good luck on your decision.

@RespectLife..I like your username Smiley Happy
Ty for this review...hubby was here next to me when Q was on and said buy it?! since I was whining how i may like it and wanted one but wasn't sure. I went to my phone faster then a jack rabbit in heat and got the one that was just on FNB. I hope it's a nice as your I think your more $$ one. Smiley Wink 
I like my Perfector to smooth my thinning hair Smiley Sad (waaaa)  that gets fuzzy due to coloring/highlighting. Then I use a larger daimter Hot Tools curl wand...but the Perfector smooths it first,I get some volume not too much but enough for me...but like and need that bad. Many are on eBay my eyes popped when I saw so many some for  cheap used. Didn't know THAT many disliked that Perfector? I like mine.

My son went to Heaven 4/15/2018
I love and miss him so very much. God Bless you my dear Nicky
Honored Contributor

@mimi5775   Thank you!!

I saw some reviews somewhere on the new beachwaver version.  They have made some improvements on the style from what I read.  They did mention the rod was not as long as the previous version.  It is sold out again so glad you were able to get it.  Since it is a 'gift' and you have until 1/31 to return...it is the best time of year to give it a try!

They always come out w/ a more reasonably priced version AFTER I buy it!  LOL

I use WEN styling creme to smooth out any frizzies.  That helps me only need one heated tool to style my hair.

I also have Hot Tools curling rods.  My curls don't last a nano second with that one.  The metal barrel seems so damaging too.  I think that is one feature I love about the beachwaver.  It is like ceramic or teflon coated or something!  Since switching to it a long time ago, I have no split/dryness issues from this like I did w/ the Hot Tools Wand.

I'm glad you like your Perfector...I didn't mean to 'slam' it!  LOL  I have got to learn to send things back when they don't work out for me!!

Just for curls sake....IMHO, you can't beat the beachwaver.  Give yourself the full time to use it.  It does take a tiny bit of getting use to...with the automatic curling and all.  I found it VERY easy and I am stinko at styling my hair.  If I was rich, I would go to the salon every 3 days and let a pro do it for me!  LOL

Respected Contributor

I have long thick hair too and my very favorite all time curler is the Kiss Instawave. Best curler I've ever used! Easy (once you get the hang of it),fast and the curl lasts till you wash it out.

Respected Contributor

@silkyk

Sure wish I could say the same about the Kiss.  I have thick long hair.  It's  naturally curly but when I've played with it I blow it out straight first to avoid tangles.

Any tips?  It doesn't seem to grab the hair the way it should.

Respected Contributor

Funloving wrote:

@silkyk

Sure wish I could say the same about the Kiss.  I have thick long hair.  It's  naturally curly but when I've played with it I blow it out straight first to avoid tangles.

Any tips?  It doesn't seem to grab the hair the way it should.

The trick is learning which side of the roller to put the hair on (front or back) and then putting your hair under that smaller prong that is closer to the roller about half way down on your hair (held out straight from your head. Keep the roller going...it will catch eventually. And don't try and do too much hair at one time. If all this makes no sense Woman Very Happy head on over to youtube....LOTS of great informative videos there! It took me a day or two to really master it but I never, ever got a tangle and the curls were beautiful. Do one curl one way then the next one curl the other way for more natural "beachy" curls. Just always pull straight down. Let your hair cool down and then comb ONLY with your fingers. Perfect hair! 

Trusted Contributor

@RespectLife  great post and ty as well Smiley Wink

I am one if it doesn't work as seen ..it goes back. I like my Perfector but can see why people do not if thye have a decent hed of hair...it really does smoooth and will lend a slight wave...with my losing hair these days it stinks and gets me down bad! I have so many products...it's insane -I mean it! haha volume types and others..if I didn't use them before my Perfector it would not work most likely with such wimpy hair lol. Maria is so nice I have met her and have had my hair done years ago in her lovely salon She's near my sister whose a dr. and the office is diagonal to Maria's Calista. sad to see them all on eBay? odd.. page after page. she may be losing $ she's truly a dear!

But so looking forward to this beach thingie and think it will be fun too Smiley Happy

PS: I hear ya....when you buy something and then boom - not long afterwards..that item is now IMPROVED!! I feel like sending it back in my mind like wtheck grrrrr..esp. if a high priced item major grrrr.

Have a good day, Marianne

My son went to Heaven 4/15/2018
I love and miss him so very much. God Bless you my dear Nicky