Valued Contributor

SKINN Orchid Gel Canvas Ready Treatment Primer vs Matifying Treatment Seal

[ Edited ]

I have had my eye on these products for some time. For those of you Dazzlers that have used them.... Which do you prefer? Is there a difference in formulation?

thank you Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Re: SKINN Orchid Gel Canvas Ready Treatment Primer vs Matifying Treatment Seal

@w84WEN wrote:

I have had my eye on these products for some time. For those of you Dazzlers that have used them.... Which do you prefer? Is there a difference in formulation?

thank you Smiley Happy

@w84WEN  My understanding is that they're pretty much the same except one is tinted and the other is not.  I'm probably the odd woman out when it comes to Orchid Gel.  I know there's a huge following for the non-tinted version of this product, but I just can't use it.  I can't stand the feeling of it (either of them) on my face, it's just way too siliconey for me.

Super Contributor

I can only tell you my experience with Orchid Gel.  I feel like my skin is suffocating and it causes break outs.  I have tried 3 different jars -- same effect.  That said, I do use a lot of other Skinn products.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lucky Duck wrote:

I can only tell you my experience with Orchid Gel.  I feel like my skin is suffocating and it causes break outs.  I have tried 3 different jars -- same effect.  That said, I do use a lot of other Skinn products.

@Lucky Duck  I swear, it's the silicones.  My skin is in the best condition of my adult life.  Because of my skincare routine, even when the occasional zit pops up, it goes away just as quickly.  That said, the only time I can recall getting a zit in the past year or so has been when I've tried these Skinn primers, the Mally Poreless Primer, and the Isomers High Definition Primer so I'm convinced it's the silicones that are the culprits.  The weird thing is that they don't seem to bother me when they're further down the list.  Up at the top means bad news.  

Honored Contributor

I loved the Orchid gel performance, but I just couldn't get past the fragrance.  Wish he would bring out some unscented items. 

Valued Contributor

Thank you all for your responses. I have had horrible luck with primers for the same reason you describe JLF. My last attempt was the IT Cosmetics brand. I wanted to love it but my face.... Not so much. 

Trusted Contributor

I have both regular orchid gel and the new orchid gel in tube...the new one is not as heavy or thick and it contains some skincare ingredients...the new version does contain salicylic acid so if you have aspirin allergy, go with the original!

New version:

Orchid-Gel Canvas Ready Treatment Primer: Cyclopentasiloxane, Tapioca Starch, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Ethylene/Acrylic Acid Copolymer, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Cymbidium Grandiflorum (Orchid) Flower Extract, Retinyl Palmitate, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Salicylic Acid, Meadowfoam Estolide, Manganese Violet (Ci 77742), Fragrance (Parfum).

Old version:

Orchid Gel Mattefying Day Treatment Seal: Cyclomethicone, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Zea Mays (Corn) Starch, Phenyl Trimethicone, Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower) Seed Oil, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Sterol, Phenoxyethanol, Orchis Mascula (Orchid) Flower Extract, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Natural Color.

Trusted Contributor

Re: SKINN Orchid Gel ng effect? Canvas Ready Treatment Primer vs Matifying Treatment Seal

@Krissy_1968 wrote:

I have both regular orchid gel and the new orchid gel in tube...the new one is not as heavy or thick and it contains some skincare ingredients...the new version does contain salicylic acid so if you have aspirin allergy, go with the original!

New version:

Orchid-Gel Canvas Ready Treatment Primer: Cyclopentasiloxane, Tapioca Starch, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Ethylene/Acrylic Acid Copolymer, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Cymbidium Grandiflorum (Orchid) Flower Extract, Retinyl Palmitate, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Salicylic Acid, Meadowfoam Estolide, Manganese Violet (Ci 77742), Fragrance (Parfum).

Old version:

Orchid Gel Mattefying Day Treatment Seal: Cyclomethicone, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Zea Mays (Corn) Starch, Phenyl Trimethicone, Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower) Seed Oil, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Sterol, Phenoxyethanol, Orchis Mascula (Orchid) Flower Extract, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Natural Color.

Wow! those ingredients are so interesting. Cones are 1 and 2 on the old list so basically that version is very much like the original Adrienne Arpel primer and LG's spackle I think. 

I see meadowfoam seed oil in new version, which I use as a carrier oil in some of my homemade concoctions as it has some good benefits. But why would he put salicylic acid in this version? Does that have an exfolitating effect? or for other skin issues like breakouts? 

I'm done with P.C. Just say what you mean and mean what you say. It's easier.
Super Contributor

Re: SKINN Orchid Gel ng effect? Canvas Ready Treatment Primer vs Matifying Treatment Seal

I use the Orchid Gel Mattifying Primer.  I really like it and if I forget to use it I can tell during the day.  It's the only primer I've been able to use that does not feel like adding grease to my face. 

Esteemed Contributor

I have used both. And there's a third he came out with during last Christmas, which is supposed to make you look like you're in love. I can't wear all three of them. I got them in other kits. They're too drying for me. I know Dimitri says they're loved, and I've tried them a few times and have given up on them. Instead, I use Mally's and Smashbox primers. I also don't care for L Geller's Spackle. You have to be careful with primers.

Love lots and lots of Dimitri's line!