Honored Contributor

I've preferred matte shadows for the past few yrs., but am noticing most palettes include a few shimmer shades. Do you think there's an age cut off or depends on occasion?

Honored Contributor

Re: SHIMMER OR MATTE SHADOWS?

[ Edited ]

I'm 61 and most of my shadows are matte but a few are shimmer. I like to use the shimmer on just a section above my lashline, not the entire lid, and sometimes a little shimmer on the inner corners. Up under the brow, on the bone is another place to put a shimmery highlight.

I don't think that there is an age-attachment, but rather how and when to use the shimmer appropriately. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have found a darker low shimmer shadow shows less crapeiness.

Image result for loreal siren eye shadow

This is "Siren".  I use the lower left for the inner 1/3 and the upper right for the rest.  Perfect taupe.  I use Laura Geller eyeshadow spackle.

Trusted Contributor

Not only are most palettes full of sparkle and Pearl, the metallics have gained popularity.  Just watch the demos, those that will use older models, and you'll see why there are some who just shouldn't gleam or shimmer.  That sagging, crepe paper, cross hatched skin is much less craggy in matte shadows.  Prime example, JoAnne is gorgeous.  The only times she looks less than perfect is when they insist on putting her in shimmer eyeshadow and garish lipstick.  Other names escape me at present ( premature senility?) but there is a very thin, sharp featured model with chemical-assisted blond hair and grey ing eyebrows who has been with Q for decades.  Every time she submits to the shiny metallic eyeshadow or worse yet, the Glow, I wonder if she'll ever be able to get work again.

Yep, there are limits IMO

Honored Contributor

I prefer satin and matte with shimmer used rarely. Shimmer in a light color REALLY ages the eyelids. OMG, does it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ShanusI think shimmer is okay if you use is sparingly.  I don't know your age but I am in my mid 60's and can wear a little shimmer but I don't put it on heavy.  Very lightly and sometimes like an eyeliner.  You will have to experiment with it on what looks good on youCat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

I've preferred matte shadows for the past few yrs., but am noticing most palettes include a few shimmer shades. Do you think there's an age cut off or depends on occasion?

Always matte in the crease -- almost always shimmer/metallic on the lid. 

I don't think there's an age cut off.  If you feel good in shimmer shadows - wear them.

Honored Contributor

I think shimmer is less flattering than matte ... unless you're under the age of 25.    

I prefer a matte taupe shadow and a dark chocolate color in the crease ... really opens up my eyes.  I also use a dab of the dark chocolate as an eyeliner every now and then.

Honored Contributor

There is no one-fits-all answer to this question that is asked so often here. It depends both upon the individual's eyes in terms of aging and the look that one is going for. You just have to experiment to see what you think looks best. And that may not be what I think is best for me.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@CoG Don't feel badly. I know which model you mean & I can't think of her name either. I'm 68, but no crepey lids yet. Just don't want to wear shimmer & look like I'm trying for an eye better suited to 30-40 yr. olds. Is Jo Anne the model who always tilts her head way back when the camera comes to her? Agree that any face makeup w/ glow, especially the stripe of shine above cheekbones, is not a good look at the first sign of a crow's foot. Appreciate your answer.