Valued Contributor

Re: Rosacea - Blemishes are awful - Know this has been addressed before -- what products do you use?

I have read that probiotics can really help some. I am a bit lazy with taking mine and lately I've only been taking it when I have tummy upset. I will look into this further.

tuSmiley Happy

Super Contributor

Re: Rosacea - Blemishes are awful - Know this has been addressed before -- what products do you use?

[ Edited ]

@LTT1 wrote:

@emmysmom  Got the soap... Thanks for the rec!

Lovestoteach, you might want to try spot testing with the soap for a few days. While sea buckthorn helps some people, it can cause irritation and flare ups for others. I know because I'm one of them. Sea buckthorn soap caused a major rosacea flare for me that took months to clear up. Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

lovestoteach:

So sorry to hear that you are having a bad period with this nasty stuff!  Just when you feel sort of good -- it hits you again.  

Knock on wood --- I am kind of at a lull right now.  Not great, but not hideous!!  

I am afraid to try anything new --- at all.  

I have this one spot on my check where I had a horrible blemish like 2 months ago and it will not go away.  Woman Frustrated  

I wish I had a new suggestion to offer up for you, but sadly, no.  I am using my Metrogel, Eucerin sensitive skin moisturizer (redness relief), Adult Clearasil at night, Cetaphil soap to cleanse with and that's about it.  Oh - almost forgot - before I cleanse, I use these little cloths (sensitive skin) from CVS to remove my makeup.  My skin is far from 100% but as I said, I seem to be in a holding pattern.  Don't know how long that will last!!

I hope that soap works for you!  I am afraid to try it!!!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you all for your suggestions and replies! 

SEABUCKTHORN SOAP UPDATE... Got brave and only used it on my chin (trouble area) once. Love the smell! It seems very moisturizing so if it acts as a disinfectant too I can see that this would work well for fingernail scrubbing and for men shaving DH. 

I believe this breakout was brought on by sun, antibiotics (the very one suggested for Rosacea). My RXs were for bronchitis. Also in the mix is prednisone. Now I am to start taking an anti fungal. 

When this flare settles down, I may try the buckthorn soap in some areas of face that are only irritated, and not broken out, such as around the nose.

My derm advised against using cosmetic products with oil.

e soap seemed to be effective at cleaning out pores.This 

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 Your regimen may really help prevent this cursed thing! I hope so!

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

I, too, have rosacea and facial redness but it has been greatly reduced once I discovered through skin testing that I'm allergic to propylene glycol (propanediol) and fragrance as well as several other common cosmetic ingredients.  My rosacea doesn't appear as aggravated since I've stopped using anything that contains them.  I even had to change my rosacea meds as they also had the irritating ingredients.  The only topical one I can use is MetroCREAM as Metrogel and Finacea contained propylene glycol. 

Propylene glycol has many names; propanediol being one of them.  Also, my list of fragrance allergens also included (among many others) Lyral, Citral, Citronellol, Farnesol, Coumarin, and Cinnamic Aldehyde; chemicals which are commonly used in perfumes, cosmetics, laundry detergents, and personal hygiene products.  My derm stressed to me the importance of using fragrance-free products.  She said that unscented products use a masking agent, which can be an irritant.

I wonder how many others experience facial redness due to propylene glycol and/or fragrance.  I would have never suspected them until my derm perfomed the skin tests, which resulted in intense redness/itching from the propylene glycol and tiny blisters from the fragrance.

Hope this info is helpful to some of you.

Honored Contributor

@RedRedHair thank you so much for this information concerning propylene glycol!  I TRIED putting on the metrogel last night to see what would happen, and sure enough... for some reason this morning there are a preponderance of little bumps just under the surface of the skin...

Will be doing some research on this to see how to eliminate this ingredient.  Heart

Regular Contributor

It's a pain to read all of the ingredient decks; however, I've found that it pays off in the long run with clearer, less-irritated skin.  There's about 15-20 different names for propylene glycol so it's a challenge to say the least.  I've noticed that more and more cosmetic/personal care companies now use the term propanediol instead of propylene glycol when listing ingredients.

My derm explained that one of the primary purposes of propylene glycol is to break down the skin's natural barrier in order to help drive the other ingredients into the skin.  Since I have extremely sensitive skin, it's not a good option for me as well as the fact that it's one of my definite skin allergens.

Frequent Contributor

I used to have Roscacea, but believe it or not, it went away when I bought and used the Tria Beauty At Home Age Defying Laser. At first, it seemed to make it worse and it hurt, but I noticed as I continued to use it, that the Rosacea was going away. It did not get rid of some pimple-like things I had, (maybe 3), but I was able to numb them and 'pick' them away. My skin is pretty nice right now! Oh, I returned the Tria as I didn't see a difference that they claimed would happen and for which I bought it. 

Honored Contributor

I am glad that we have been keeping this topic going.  It's helpful to share things that may help each other.  And also, if nothing else, it's always good to commiserate and know that we aren't alone.  

I noticed this morning that I have a few weird small spots on my nose.  They aren't large but still --- the nose!!!!  What could be more front and center???  I think as lovestoteach posted earlier, the extreme heat and humidity is a big factor.  But, last night I really dosed my nose with the Clearsil as I noticed that my nose seemed a bit redder than normal.  I think (at least I am hoping) that this might have warded off an even larger "explosion."

Stay strong, fair maidens!!! Woman Wink

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin