Valued Contributor

Re: Review of Eve Pearl TSV.

@Sweet_Serenity, I remember Q2. I thought it was fantastic, the only exposure I had to really high end stuff (this was pre internet) without traveling to a big city. I saw Robert Lee Morris for the first time on Q2, and was blown away. I remember Il Makiage too. the lady's name was Ilana Harkavi. She was very influential to up and comers at the time like Kevyn Aucoin, Bobbi Brown, NARS. No idea if the line is still around.
Honored Contributor

@beach-mom thank you for that! I will give it a fair chance. Unfortunately I will not be home when it is suppose to come next Thursday so I won't be able to try it until a week and a half from now. I was hoping QVC shipments would get here faster now that they have a California distribution center but apparently none of the beauty items come from there, which is all I basically buy from QVC. grrrr. I am definitely going to do mini stripes like you said and then make it work for all of my face. Do you use the beauty blende or similar sponge or do you prefer a brush? TIA!

Honored Contributor

YW @HappyDaze - I really hope you like it. I use the brush that came with it. I haven't tried any others, but I probably should - maybe I'll "experiment" this weekend. I don't have the Beauty Blender, even though DD uses it constantly. Have a good trip! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Fluke67 wrote:
@Sweet_Serenity, I remember Q2. I thought it was fantastic, the only exposure I had to really high end stuff (this was pre internet) without traveling to a big city. I saw Robert Lee Morris for the first time on Q2, and was blown away. I remember Il Makiage too. the lady's name was Ilana Harkavi. She was very influential to up and comers at the time like Kevyn Aucoin, Bobbi Brown, NARS. No idea if the line is still around.
YES!!! 😍 Thank you! For the life of me! Couldn't remember her name. True artist! Loved her line. Yes, Q2 that was the name.💗
Occasional Contributor

The brand was Il Makiage. I visited the make-up store in Manhattan shortly after the product debuted on QVC.  It was excellent make-up. I do not remember the name of the woman who owned it -  but I do remember her being very particular about how the products were demonstrated and explained.  She impressed me as having very high standards, and I liked that.

Respected Contributor

@xmasbabe wrote:

The brand was Il Makiage. I visited the make-up store in Manhattan shortly after the product debuted on QVC.  It was excellent make-up. I do not remember the name of the woman who owned it -  but I do remember her being very particular about how the products were demonstrated and explained.  She impressed me as having very high standards, and I liked that.

****   Don't laugh, but I still have the Il Makiage eyeshadow pallette that I bought on QVC a hundred years ago.  The colors are still gorgeous and the staying power excellent. 

Respected Contributor

Thanks for the great review.  I have 2 kits coming,  Medium and Tan, since I'm usualy in between both.  One looks like it's out for delivery.  I also hate double ended brushes, but this time it does look like it makes more sense since you need both when applying.  I will keep them in a tray instead of my normal holder which has them standing up.  My fingers are crossed.

I currently use Smashbox Halo in medium, which is a bit darker than most mediums I have tried, and am anxious to compare. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Wonderful reviews and feedback on this thread!!

I am African American and I wrestled between the Tan and Dark shades, settling on the Dark shade.  I normally use Laura Geller's Balance N Brighten (Deep), or Estee Lauder's Double Wear liquid (mixing Rich Caramel & Sandlewood). They're both great for me.

Eve Pearl's foundation texture is a first for me, so the learning curve was expected.  I blended the lighter shade (much lighter than my complexion) with the darker shade (much darker than my complexion) just as Eve demonstrated.  But I had to re-apply & blend several times before settling on the completed look.  The completed look is not bad, but it appears to have cooler undertones, instead of the more honeyed caramel undertones I need.

The dual salmon concealer is fantastic, as is the ultimate face compact.  Both texture made for easy application, and color that truly gave me exactly what I wanted.

The lipstick -- yes, it goes on very heavy!  I dabbed off that bold pink color enough to reveal a beautiful soft pink that works extremely well with my deep pink/mauve lips.  I love the color!  BUT there's a scent to this lipstick that is off-putting.  Food, candy, perfume?  I don't know what the scent is, but it's very pronounced and I don't like it, thus I did not put it in my handbag to bring to work for touch ups. 

The brushes are nice, but I won't be using the fan brush again.  That wide fan makes the blush far too wide and unmanageable from cheekbone to temple.  Starts out fine, but ends up "Golden Girlish"  [I still love those re-runs].  My blending sponge was on extra duty.

I’ve decided not to give the foundation another try.  So it’s just the salmon concealer and the Ultimate face compact that I really like and would keep and buy again, separately.  

Esteemed Contributor

Ilana Harkavi, founder of Il-Makiage, was the trainer and mentor to many of the present day iconic makeup artists.  I had heard of the brand, but never purchased anything before it came to Q2.  We're talking early 90s and the only way to get it then was either at the New York salon or you could call and order products.  After seeing the brand on Q2 I mosied in on a trip to NYC.  The proucts were excellent and Ms. Harkavi had a range of colors which put the big corporate brands to shame.  The original M.A.C. was a lot like Il-Makiage, but she probably had a protege or two among the founders. Sadly, the brand is no more.  I suppose being up there in age, and competition from so many brands, it became too much for Harkavi to keep a small brand small, and turn a profit.

Trusted Contributor

@SahmIam I am so disappointed for you!  I have oily skin and I do think that this product is better for oily skin as it is a bit drying.  

I am am not excited about that lipstick...it looked bright on camera, but more muted in the photo is the tube....I'm not even going to test it.  Smiley Sad