Honored Contributor

Re: Red Lipstick -- I want one that stays put -- not too dry, not too greasy!

@AngelPuppy1  Hello. I'm fair as well & also wanted red lipstick as my signature color. I liked the way the French women wear very little other makeup, red lip and Voila, they look "finished".When I went to makeup counters at the mall for suggestions, most said that red lips were aging, made lips look smaller (I'm 68) & if if too dark, looks like 2 slices of liver instead of plump natural lips. One MUA suggested trying a few drugstore brands before leaping in to expensive dept. store red lipsticks. She said to try Revlon Cherries in the Snow...has some pink in the red. I purchased it, blotted it down, powdered it through 1 sheet of Kleenex & reapplied for staying power. I wore it for a week, but it just wasn't ME. If you want to give it a shot I shot, I suggest a red w/ blue undertones and that Revlon shade of red was a little more subtle to start. 

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@AngelPuppy1  Hello. I'm fair as well & also wanted red lipstick as my signature color. I liked the way the French women wear very little other makeup, red lip and Voila, they look "finished".When I went to makeup counters at the mall for suggestions, most said that red lips were aging, made lips look smaller (I'm 68) & if if too dark, looks like 2 slices of liver instead of plump natural lips. One MUA suggested trying a few drugstore brands before leaping in to expensive dept. store red lipsticks. She said to try Revlon Cherries in the Snow...has some pink in the red. I purchased it, blotted it down, powdered it through 1 sheet of Kleenex & reapplied for staying power. I wore it for a week, but it just wasn't ME. If you want to give it a shot I shot, I suggest a red w/ blue undertones and that Revlon shade of red was a little more subtle to start. 

@Shanus

Yes, good idea about drugstore finds.  I had tried the Cherries in the Snow color a good while back.  it is a pretty shade but it is not the red I am looking for either!

I agree about the French look.  I love how they use a pretty red lip and then very minimal makeup for the rest of the face.  This is exactly what I am hoping to achieve.  Thanks!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Esteemed Contributor

Bobbi Brown Artstick or her Pot Rouge are great for helping a lipstick or gloss last longer. Pot Rouge is not available in a true red, but you could find a color which works well as a base under whatever red you finally decide to buy.  I use Milk Chocolate Pot Rouge (which is a great nude for me) under a variety of lip colors. Harlow Red Artstick is a vivid bright red.  I have it and because my mouth is wide with full lips, I can't wear it without toning it down.  Otherwise I might be mistaken for a circu performer.  

Another option for lasting color is IT Cosmetics.  Jamie's stains are long lasting and unlike other stain products which can be drying, IT's are easy on the lips.  Inspiring Red is a beautiful red gloss stain.  IT's It Girl red lipstick from the Blurred Lines collection is another great red option.

You may also like Lipstick Queen's Sinner collection are full coverage .  There is one called Red which is red for someone who wants real red -- not pinkish or brownish tones with red in them. Deep Red might float your boat too.  It's the same tone as Red, but deeper.  On me it's the better of the two, but again my lips tend to look less clownish when the lip color is not so bright.

Respected Contributor

I have been using Sephora Brand Color LIp Long Lasting Matte lipstick in Color 18

"All You Need is Red"  It is a deep coral red.  I look better in red lipstick with a coral tinge. It is a pretty color and last pretty well.

Esteemed Contributor

There is a youtuber called ataylaa. She had a lipstick collab with a company. I don't remember the name. But the lipstick is called 1548. It is beautiful red and it has gotten rave reviews on staying put.
Honored Contributor

Clinique Chubby Stick Intense in Broadest Berry.

Occasional Contributor

I am blonde and have green eyes and light skin tone. My two go-to reds are Mac Brave Red (I do blot it down and sometimes add the Mac Venetian gloss if I want a shiny look) and Clinique Color Pop in Passion Pop. Both are very nice for women with our coloring and--ummm--maturity. 

Super Contributor

try lipstick queen medivel

Honored Contributor

Thanks for the recommendions!  I am compiling a list!  I appreciate all the replies!

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

I am in need of a fresh new red lipstick!  2 issues --- first --- the color --- I am very fair, light blonde hair, blue/green eyes and mature (key word -- old --- lol).  Second --- I want a formula that is not dry but not overly moisturizing and greasy like.  In other words, one that will stay on somewhat, but not be dry.  For the most part, most lipsticks I have found that stay on half-decent make my lips dry -- I hate that feeling!  And those 2 part things -- lipstick and then the coat you put over --- yuck.  I find those things seem to peel and are a pain.  The other choice --- too shiny and moisturizing and slide all over and just scream --- RED - RED -- RED!  I am looking for a red to be my signature color!!!  

Any suggestions would be most appreciated!!!  

@AngelPuppy1

Red lipstick?   Have you ever found a flattering red or are you just liking the idea of red lipstick?  

I know a woman with your same very light coloring who often wears red lipstick and she looks TERRIBLE.   The color is just too harsh for her skin tone, but she thinks she looks good.   Someone needs to take her aside and tell her the truth.   My guess is she puts this on in artificial light, but if she saw herself in sunlight, she would see how harsh it is.

Haven't you ever seen an old woman wearing makeup that is just too much?   It looks like she's still wearing the same colors she wore in her 20's, only more heavy handed.

IMO ....   The only way you could pull off a bright red is to select a sheer one .... they give you the color, but aren't harsh.   JMO