Super Contributor

First the facts: I've got thick, color-treated hair currently to my shoulders and layered. I'm trying to grow it out to donate it again. I color it red so in order to not see my color go down the drain, I wash it twice weekly. My hair is rather straight with a weird, slight wave to it.It dries neither straight nor wavy, sort of frizzy-looking, NOT attractive as-is.

I love to see the scrunched look on women, it appears so effortless even though I know it's probably not. I love to be able to touch my soft, silky hair but when I add in the mousse, gel and hairspray to get mine to look scrunched, it's neither soft nor silky - totally crunchy!!

The question is: Is there a way to get that tousled look and maintain a softer touch to my hair? I've seen those curling irons that have a wave to them. I'm trying to do the littlest amount of heat styling to my hair so that it's in good condition and grows fast.

Any ideas will help. TIA!

Super Contributor

Re: Question for hair stylists

Anyone??

Honored Contributor

Since you don't want to use heat, you may want to get some regular small curlers.

If you do use heat I would say electric rollers. Some are better for your hair than others.

Years ago I would braid my hair wet to have that wavy look.

Hope this helps.

Honored Contributor

One other thing, you said that it looks frizzy. You need to have a leave-in serum (I like L'anza Trauma Treatment but you can you most any) to smooth out the hair.

What kind of shampoo and conditioner are you using? Is it for color-treated hair?

Honored Contributor
Super Contributor

I only use products for color-treated hair. I've been using Tigi's Dumb Blonde shampoo since it's for delicate hair after being bleached. I figured it will work with mine. I use a volumizing conditioner after shampooing.

I will absolutely use heat when scrunching, otherwise it would never dry!!

Holy cow, that Pinterest page contains enough info to boggle the mind!!!

Honored Contributor

Sorry, I guess I misunderstood your post about using heat on your hair. I thought you were trying to find ways without heat.

I would just buy a curling iron for your style. I have a BabyBliss that I really like.

Frequent Contributor

I use:

Sarah Potempa BEACHWAVER PRO Rotating Curling Iron, Clips & Comb A224241

I absolutely LOVE it!! I know it's a bit pricey but it WORKS!!

Frequent Contributor

I'm not a hair stylist (my mom is one though), but I have curly color treated hair. I've learned a lot over the years to manage my hair. Curly hair tends to be dry, so I try to avoid products with alcohol. The only thing I've been using with alcohol is hairspray to finish the style. But as for your question, I wash my hair with wen. It really seems to help define and moisturize my curls. Depending on how I feel, I either use some as a leave in or I use the styling cream. I never have crunchy curls. I let it air dry naturally or use soft rollers to sleep in. I hope this helps. I've even tried salon brand curl creams and none seemed to define my curls as well as wen. I may dabble into Shea Moisture products or Carol's Daughter in the future to see how well it works for me.
Super Contributor

No sister, you're right: "Sorry, I guess I misunderstood your post about using heat on your hair. I thought you were trying to find ways without heat."

I do try to not use heat as often as possible but to get the scrunchy look I have to.

enw seems to have curly hair to begin with which is great but I don't. I guess I'm sort of answering my own question...I need to keep those waves/curls in somehow so I've got to cement them in place - with mousse, gel & hairspray.

(Sighhhh...) Thanks though!!