Esteemed Contributor

Re: Question for Those Owning Expensive Blow Dryers

I have a nice Conair tourmaline, ceramic hair dryer and it didn't cost a fortune either. It's not as light as some hair dryers but it does have a straightening attachment that does the job. I don't really know why expensive hair dryers are so expensive except that the company can charge a lot of money.

Valued Contributor

Thanks, everyone, for all the great info.  It will help in making my decision.

Trusted Contributor

@IG, yep, this was my experience, too.  The only upside to the Chi is that it is quieter than the less expensive brands I've used.  But for me, that doesn't justify the price.

Trusted Contributor

I have tried many hair dryers in my day........from low end to high end to anything inbetween.  I've never noticed a dfiference in any of them.  Regardless of which dryer, it takes the same amount of time to dry my hair and the outcome is the same regardless.  I will have to say that the one I've been using for a while now is my favorite of all time.  Not because it dries my hair any faster or makes my hair shinier, etc., but because it is the lightest weight dryer I've ever had!  My hair is very porous and therefore soaks up water like a sponge so it takes a long time to dry.  My hair is fine in texture, but I have a lot of it.  So a lightweight hair dryer is pefect for me since it takes so long to dry my hair.  I got it at HSN several months ago, but I know they are sold out right now.  I had some credits and used a coupon and ended up getting the dryer for 20 something dollars. It is a "Martino by Martino Cartier Haute Stuff Air Featherlight Ionic Professional Dryer."

Contributor

I have bought many dryers from $75-$100 and they all worked the same.  Amika, Theorie, Solano - to be honest, none of them ever delivered frizz free hair, less dry time, etc.  On a whim, I bought the Revlon Hot Air Brush (like the Caj they sell here) and it is the most wonderful hair tool ever - can't beat the price either, about $18.  I can't do the round brush/dryer thing-my arms start to hurt and it's way too much work. ( I have long hair)  This is lightweight and gives my hair volume and wave at the end - exactly like a blow out you would get at a salon.  Super quick too.  Love it and would highly recommend.  Products are key though.  You have to use heat protection.  I've been using Garnier leave-in conditioner along with the Marvelous Oil then a heat protecter spray by Loreal right before I blow dry.  Very happy.  

Respected Contributor

The best thing to do is purchase a T3 from Costco. Some of the stores carry them and it is available online. Problems or don't like it, you can return it...no problem...obviously can be longer than 30 days.

I have a T3 Hairdryer...its at least 3-4 years old and it is not broken. I think it was listed at 250.00 and I got it at a discount...probably about 170.. no tax. It's purple.

I also have the Conair Purple Costco Dryer.

No...it's not worth paying the extra money.

I have a GHD hair straightener. Also expensive...but got it with a discount. This is where i think it matters.

Costco seems to have these products or similar products periodically. Again, I recommend getting one from Costco. There is a straightener on line. I think it is black and white. In store as well.