Valued Contributor

Question for Those Owning Expensive Blow Dryers

I'm thinking about purchasing a Chi, Dry Bar, or other expensive blow dryer; but before I do, I'd like some feedback from those of you owning one.  What I'm not sure about is what are the difference you find in using one of those versus an inexpensive one that you can buy at the drug store or Walmart.  What are the benefits of using the more expensive one?

Honored Contributor

Re: Question for Those Owning Expensive Blow Dryers

@patticakesI don't own an expensive dryer, so I can't really answer your question, but I do remember years back wanting to buy a T3, so I talked to the stylist I'd been loving for years.  His recommendation:  I should pass.  BUT -- his recommendation was based on my hair as he knew it.  It wasn't a general recommendation.

Respected Contributor

@patticakes  Very good question. I've always wondered about this too. I'll be interested to read the replies. 

Trusted Contributor

I wouldn't do it again, my blower from Costco is just as good, in my opinion,  but I have very straight hair and it's a bit longer than chin length.  I don't know if it's different for people with curly and very thick hair.

Honored Contributor

I fell for the hype and bought a Chi and I could tell NO difference between using it and my Conair.

It didn't dry any faster or leave my hair any smoother or shinier, just cost a heck of a lot more with no real return  in my case.

The Chi I have is the Ionic with low EMF (whatever that means, LOL!).

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

My sister in law had a T3. It died after 10 months. I've been using the blue Hit Tools dryer from Ulta and LOVE it!
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have a T3, the smaller one.  I have very thick but fine hair with a ton of wave. AND, when I think it's dry I always need to go back at it.

I used to use a Conair. The T3 cut my dry time easily in half. For that it was worth every penny.

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Honored Contributor

I purchased the Dry Bar hairdryer some months ago (TSV?). I love it! But for the life of me, I can't explain why. For some reason unknown to me, when I use it my hair is shinier. That seems so weird that a hairdryer could do that, but in my case it does. I have very fine, thin, unprocessed hair, and short. It seems to dry my hair faster than with my old hairdryer.

One of the things the vendor/host said on the presentation was that it was lighter to hold. Not in my case, as I had a Conair that I got from Walmart years ago that was a tad lighter. So maybe the average hairdryer is much heavier. 

I really do like the Dry Bar, am glad I got it, but am sorry I can't be more specific with my review. I do keep my old one around, just in case the Dry Bar one breaks down. So far, the old one is only gathering dust. Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

From my experience, I would say don't waste your money. I bought a T3 (and returned it). I saw absolutely no difference between that and my inexpensive Conair, or Revlon or any other makes I get in my local drugstore for under $30.00 Have been using Conair forever and will never fall for that hype again.
Honored Contributor

I haven't used a "cheap" dryer in a long time so I can't really remember much about it.  A few years ago I bought a Super Solano from folica dot com.  It's the dryer that Chaz Dean uses so I figured with his endorsement it had to be good.  It has both speed and heat controls and is somehow supposed to dry your hair from the inside out (don't ask me how).  I felt good about using the SS dryer, but will admit it was heavy.  I kind of got used to it.  A few months ago, the plug  cracked and came apart.  My DH tried fixing it with electrical tape, but it was never "right" after that.  I mean, it worked but I had to press the circuit breaker on the plug every time I used it.  I wondered about the safety and decided I'd retire the dryer to be a temporary spare and find a new one for everyday.  I ended up ordering a Martino Cartier dryer from HSN when they had them on a special for like $50 in December.  I'm LOVING that dryer (wish I bought an extra).  It's extremely lightweight, has speed and heat controls, and dries my hair in no time at all.  It's currently out of stock and will be a its usual price when it comes back, but if you can wait, that's the one I'd recommend.