Respected Contributor

Question about Paula's weekly 10% AHA

I use her BHA almost every night with no problems. I decided to try the weekly 10% AHA tonight. It burns! And no, I didn't combine with any other exfoliants...I know better than that! It says to leave it on for 10 minutes or overnight. I think I'll be washing my face in 10 minutes. Is the burning normal? Is it just because I'm a first time user and it might get better over time? Or am I just not able to tolerate it well.
Honored Contributor

Re: Question about Paula's weekly 10% AHA

I cannot use AHAs at all because they all irritate/burn my skin, that is why I stick with BHA. Some people can't tolerate AHAs. So I'd either recommend trying a lower % of AHA or perhaps you are one of the unlucky ones, lol, that can't use AHAs like me.  Have you used AHAs before? 10% is pretty high to start off with if you've never tried AHAs before.

Honored Contributor

I agree that unless you're used to AHAs, you should start with a lower level. Of course, it may just not be for you.

I stick with BHAs because my skin is sensitive.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

Never used it before. The burning went away after a few minutes. Maybe it's ok?
Respected Contributor

I use the weekly AHA once or twice a week. I used it last night and did have burning when first appplied but it did stop.

Here is some info from Paula's site:

"Upon application to cleansed, toned skin, some people may experience a small amount of tingling or feel a stinging sensation. This is normal and it should dissipate quickly and stop with ongoing use. If the tingling or stinging sensation does not stop or worsens, or if your skin becomes red or feels like it's burning, immediately rinse Resist Weekly Resurfacing Treatment with plain water and gently pat dry. Should this occur, ongoing use is not recommended. You may want to try another Paula's Choice exfoliant and our Customer Service team is happy to help you select an alternate option."

http://www.paulaschoice.com/shop/skin-care-categories/aha-and-bha-exfoliants/_/Resist-Weekly-Resurfa...

Respected Contributor

Thanks for that info!
Respected Contributor

I rinsed with cool water and applied Paula's Skin Revovery moisturizer. My face feels pretty darn smooth. I have a gallon size bag full of sample packets. I found a couple of PC Resist Daily smoothing treatment with 5% aha. I'll probably use bha for the next few nights and then try the resist 5% at night.
Trusted Contributor

I feel stupid sometimes because I do not know all the acronyms....but I am really new to skincare so I would like to know the difference between them. Aha is alpha hydroxy and its to help with fading, right? My aunt gave me ambi to try but it's only been a week.
I only started really paying attention to my skin the past 6 months and now I seem obsessed with everything.
Trusted Contributor

I would recommend you contact the customer service at Paula's Choice. If the 10% is too high in AHA for you, they may exchange it for a product with a lower percentage. I started out with the 8% gel and love it. Then went to the 5% cream, as I love its texture. I do have the 10%--burning or stinging is not a problem for me, but it's a liquid so is much different in texture (has to be applied on a cotton pad). Maybe try getting samples next time. That way you can see what will work for you w/o investing so much $$. Sometimes I place a order for samples only to see what works for me.

Respected Contributor

I'm not going to lie....I love how smooth my face felt after rinsing it off. It still felt smooth this morning.