Honored Contributor

Re: Question about Paula's weekly 10% AHA

@NativeJax wrote:
I feel stupid sometimes because I do not know all the acronyms....but I am really new to skincare so I would like to know the difference between them. Aha is alpha hydroxy and its to help with fading, right? My aunt gave me ambi to try but it's only been a week.
I only started really paying attention to my skin the past 6 months and now I seem obsessed with everything.

@NativeJax

AHA = Alpha Hydroxy Acid (includes glycolic acid, fruit acids, and lactic acid).  AHA's are exfoliants (slough off the dead skin cells from the surface).  To my understanding, they aren't typically thought of as skin lighteners except for the fact that they help the dead skin to shed and overtime the darkened areas will lessen as new skin comes to the surface.  You need a decent percentage of AHA for it to work.  It's also very common to feel some tingling.  With consistent use that tingling lessens.

Honored Contributor

@Rachb wrote:
I'm not going to lie....I love how smooth my face felt after rinsing it off. It still felt smooth this morning.

@Rachb

I have both the Aha and the Bha and yes the Aha is 'stronger' but it does go away in a few seconds.

The 10% Aha body  lotion is phenomenal!

Trusted Contributor

Thank you jeanlouise:-) my tube she gave me says fade cream and it does say it has AHA but it is definitely not an exfoliate. I use ponds to remove my make up, wash with neutrogena liquid facial cleanser, if I have a tough time with mascara I use the Argan eye makeup remover (love love these) from signature club a, her 5 essentials day/night cream and her Jeanie in a bottle....I like her products at first it stung some but now I have no issues, sometimes I get a dry patch and I use some Nivea. I also use st Ives fresh apricot scrub and I bought some serous skin care exfoliate but just got it and only have used twice. The spots under my neck really look bad....I am also using neutrogena 100 block face sunscreen.... I am a late bloomer on skincare, also have very little knowledge. I do love aveeno and use many of thiee products as well.
Honored Contributor

@NativeJax wrote:
Thank you jeanlouise:-) my tube she gave me says fade cream and it does say it has AHA but it is definitely not an exfoliate. I use ponds to remove my make up, wash with neutrogena liquid facial cleanser, if I have a tough time with mascara I use the Argan eye makeup remover (love love these) from signature club a, her 5 essentials day/night cream and her Jeanie in a bottle....I like her products at first it stung some but now I have no issues, sometimes I get a dry patch and I use some Nivea. I also use st Ives fresh apricot scrub and I bought some serous skin care exfoliate but just got it and only have used twice. The spots under my neck really look bad....I am also using neutrogena 100 block face sunscreen.... I am a late bloomer on skincare, also have very little knowledge. I do love aveeno and use many of thiee products as well.

If it contains an AHA it IS functionig, at least in part, as an exfoliant.

Respected Contributor

One more question....is it me, or does the weekly 10% aha product smell like horseradish?
Respected Contributor

It's been a week since my initial use. I used it a second time a few days ago. It burned again but the burning ended after a few minutes. After just 2 uses, I'm really impressed in the improvement in how smooth my skin looks and feels. I used Paula's Clear 2% BHA on the nights when I didn't use the AHA. Her Skin Recovery Moisturizer is my last step. My skin feels like butter after!
Respected Contributor

Ok, so as I stated above, there was less burning the second time...but that ended up being temporary. I applied a third time. After about 10 minutes, my face started burning again. Like, serious burning and itching. I washed my face and patted dry. My face was really red and I was left with rash-like bumps on my chin and forehead. It literally "burned" my skin. I let my face breathe overnight. I've been using Skin Recovery moisturizer but a week later, I'm still left with a bumpy texture, some red patches, and lots of flakiness. I will NEVER use aha again!
Honored Contributor

I used AHAs a loooong time ago. What I remember about them is that my skin looked terrific afterwards-but it didn't even last till the next day. I would have to have done it daily to look good. I ended up using it on a day or night that I wanted to look good.