Super Contributor

QVC Expensive return policy!

I love the Q  but you buy a foundation it the wrong color, or anything for that fact.  I pay $3  shipping which is a great price but shipping price should be part of your return considering I have to pay $6.95 to return it.  

So this item cost me $10 just to try it and find out i don't like it.  Boy this is annoying, when it comes to foundation you really need to see the colors and try it out and return it for free at a store.    Anyways  I really wish QVC would do like free returns like Nordstoms and so many other companies or refund the shipping costs like other companies do.  The Q is a billion dollar buisness.  I just find this sad..  Anyone else feel this way

Honored Contributor

Re: QVC Expensive return policy!

I rarely buy anything from QVC anymore.   Maybe once a month and mostly jewelry.   But out of the few orders I received, one of them was incorrect and I sent it back.   It was a pair of earrings.     The wrong pair of earrings.

It's funny that there are many threads here raving about how great online shopping is and how they never go to the mall any more, blah blah blah and then there are just as many threads on poor customer service, long delivery times and expensive returns.   I still prefer to buy locally.

@beautydiva wrote:

I love the Q  but you buy a foundation it the wrong color, or anything for that fact.  I pay $3  shipping which is a great price but shipping price should be part of your return considering I have to pay $6.95 to return it.  

So this item cost me $10 just to try it and find out i don't like it.  Boy this is annoying, when it comes to foundation you really need to see the colors and try it out and return it for free at a store.    Anyways  I really wish QVC would do like free returns like Nordstoms and so many other companies or refund the shipping costs like other companies do.  The Q is a billion dollar buisness.  I just find this sad..  Anyone else feel this way

Esteemed Contributor

Feel this way?    For cosmetics - not really.  QVC can not resell a bottle (or whatever the container) because (pardon the description)  you have stuck your finger in it - applied to your skin - and perhaps handled the product again.   Federal and health laws would frown on the Q reselling to another customer - so that container is a total loss to the seller.  Suggestion:  go to cosmetic section at dept store where they have samples.

Esteemed Contributor

I found that out the hard way as well. I tried Doll 10 concealer and foundation - neither of them worked for me. So, even though two items will go in the box, I am deducted $6.95 for each return. I'm getting to the point where I can't afford to buy the beauty products anymore for that reason. 

Trusted Contributor

Agree. I used to buy my 11W shoes exclusively from the Q. But when the same size in the same brand no longer fits correctly, and costs $5 to get them and $7 to return them, I learned to only buy my shoes from the websites that have free shipping both ways. If they can do that, why can't the Q?  So, QVC's loss. I am finding them cheaper And with free shipping elsewhere.

Honored Contributor

This policy has been in effect for a very long time.  If you really need to see a foundation color in person, then ordering it for the first time from QVC is probably not the best idea.

No other place that I know of that charges s/h refunds the original s/h and while there are some places that offer free returns, there aren't a lot of them, that I deal with anyhow.  And QVC is right in line with the return fee when compared to other on-lines sites.

This may have been an item that is cheaper for you to ship back on your own rather than use the return label but shipping has gotten crazy expensive lately and very few items cost less than the return label, including the insurance. 

We all know the cost right up front.        

Respected Contributor

DH used to give me a  hard time for ordering clothing and/or cosmetics from QVC.  His logic was that I could go to any of the very nice stores within ten minutes of home and try as many things as I wanted free of charge.  If I had to return something to QVC it would cost me both the charge for returning, plus the original shipping cost to get it to me. His reasoning was that it cost me at least $10.00 to try anything from them. He was right.

At least once in the spring and once in the fall, I find myself falling for the lure of what looks wonderful on tv. This year I have had to return more than ever before due to some unintended weight loss and an obvious difference  in sizing by the vendors at the Q. I'm one size in my local stores. I'm many sizes at QVC. I'm sure it has wasted about $40.00 in shipping charges this spring.  Time to quit, and to do that I find it easier not to watch and be tempted. 

Honored Contributor

Long before the shipping cost was reduced and the return label went to 6.95, I learned I just don't do well buying color cosmetics online.  I don't even care if the shipping is totally free.  By the time I find the colors I want, it could be a month or more.

QVC is my go-to place for some things, but for anything with color (including most clothing), I'm strictly a local shopper. 

So far, my policy is working for me.  I made my last Q return in 2015 and the error was all my own and I paid for it.  Money, my time, and my frustration with my own negligence.  It takes 10 seconds to check the measurements against my own and I didn't do it!  UGH to me!

Contributor

i don't think their policy is bad. yesterday i had to return something to AMAZON, the prepaid label was $8.95 and if i needed them to print the label it is $1. and beside i had to go to UPS store as that was the only label available. no choice unlike the Q who gives you 3 chioces as how to return. prepaid label for UPS,prepaid label for USPS and label where you pay upfront.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@beautydiva wrote:

No, I don't feel this way, @beautydiva.  Why should we expect QVC to cover the cost of our mistakes?  I might not be totally on the money with this, but if I'm not mistaken, QVC used to charge a higher shipping fee on the front end and would allow for free returns or they had a smaller return postage fee, but then people complained that the original shipping was too high so they changed it.  People can't have it both ways.  IMO, it's part of the cost and convenience of shopping online.  If I didn't have the online shopping option, it would cost me $$ in gasoline and a lot of time to physically shop for things.  If you don't like spending $10 to try a foundation, I suggest you do the leg work first, going to Ulta, Sephora, etc. to test colors, and then do your ordering.