Honored Contributor

I have had dry eye for more than a few years, I tried Restasis twice and it did not help. So my eye doc inserted silicone plugs in my tear ducts this morning, my left eye feel great but my right eye feels like I have something stuck in it, almost like what it felt like the first time I wore a contact lenses.

Has any has the plugs inserted and how long did it take you to adjust

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Punctal Plugs for Dry Eyes

My dh had that done. It cost us hundreds of dollars and the next time he went to the eye Dr. for his check up, the plugs were gone. He must not have followed Dr.'s orders (as per usual, as my mom used to say). PS: He did not experience any problems when he first got them.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Valued Contributor

Yes, I have had them…return back to your doc…and like what happened to me, one was loosened and irritated my eye. So make a return appt ASAP.

Contributor

I had plugs and there was no adjustment period. Unfortunately by the second yearly eye exam they were gone. If you pull down on your eyelid, can you see the tip of the plug? It shouldn't be irritating your eye if it is in place.

Super Contributor

I did several times (we tried different sizes), & it didn't even take a full day to get used to them.

But one would always fall out, so I had my punctums sealed by my opthalmologist. I have severe dry eyes, & it has helped. Taking Omega-3 fish oil everyday does as well.

Occasional Contributor

My openings were too big for plugs and skipped straight to cauterizing instead. Did it a few times, still no better.
Respected Contributor

I have plugs and have never ""felt"" them.

Respected Contributor

My plugs have never bothered me. I lost one and I knew right away. Had it replaced and no problems since.

Valued Contributor

i never felt them

Contributor

I've had them twice. Both times I could feel them, especially my right one for 3 days. No problems after that. I still have severe dry eyes and I'm using Restasis,Pred Forte drops and gel eye drops. LASIK + rosecea = super dry, painful eyes. Sigh.