Honored Contributor

Proactiv cleanser contains the plastic beads that are harmful to the environment

[ Edited ]

Just an FYI for those that care about this issue with the plastic beads that are causing major pollution in our water (lakes, rivers, ocean, etc) and killing of alot of marine life and fish.

They were talking about the little plastic beads in the presentation, which I was shocked they are still in there.

Proactiv Solution® Renewing Cleanser
INGREDIENT DECLARATION
Active Ingredient: Benzoyl Peroxide, 2.5%

Inactive Ingredients: water, magnesium aluminum silicate, glyceryl stearate, PEG-100 stearate, sorbitol, dimethyl isosorbide, disodium PEG-12 dimethicone sulfosuccinate, tridecyl stearate, neopentyl glycol
dicaprylate/dicaprate, polyethylene, cetyl esters, anthemis nobilis flower extract, sodium hyaluronate, sodium PCA, xanthan gum, tridecyl trimellitate, propylene glycol, imidazolidinyl urea, methylparaben,
propylparaben, fragrance.

Honored Contributor

Re: Proactiv cleanser contains the plastic beads that are harmful to the environment

I live in Colorado and the stores here don't sell that crep. However, I am not sure how they handle internet sales of the stuff...arrrggg!Woman Mad

Honored Contributor

Re: Proactiv cleanser contains the plastic beads that are harmful to the environment

@SilleeMee wrote:

I live in Colorado and the stores here don't sell that crep. However, I am not sure how they handle internet sales of the stuff...arrrggg!Woman Mad

@SilleeMee I was thinking the same thing about online sales- I believe products with the beads are not allowed in California too (someone from Cali can correct me if I am wrong) but I am sure if you buy from QVC or any other online vendor, it can be sent there. Seems like a loophole than needs to be corrected ASAP!

Honored Contributor

ProActiv isn't the only fracial cleanser on the market with beads.  There are many in local drug stores as well I've found.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@PINKdogWOOD wrote:

ProActiv isn't the only fracial cleanser on the market with beads.  There are many in local drug stores as well I've found.

yes I think the majority of us know that as it is has been discussed numerous times in the forums and in the news. But the Proactiv was just onair on QVC and that is why I was giving the heads up for those thinking about ordering it.

Super Contributor

I believe manufacturers have until 2017 to eliminate the microbeads from their products.

Honored Contributor

@karlam wrote:

I believe manufacturers have until 2017 to eliminate the microbeads from their products.

Yes, this was to let people know because I know there are some conscientious posters here who care about this type of thing and don't want to purchase products like this that pollute our water and kill animals.

Regular Contributor

Thanks for this post. Apparently I've been living under a rock and wasn't aware of the issue Robot Happy

Super Contributor

Thank you for the information. I didn't realize Proactiv contained those harmful beads either. I was thinking that it was such a great deal with the brush included. It's too bad the product contains plastic beads.

Regular Contributor

If they are still mentioning it in their sales pitch that must mean a lot of viewers are uneducated on the topic. Once you know about what it is doing to sea life it is definitely a negative in a product.

We do have a bill to ban them in California, unfortunately it doesn't go into effect until 2020.