Super Contributor

Re: Primer before foundation?

I use Mally's pore less primer. And then use it cc cream looks flawless and stays on all day.
Honored Contributor

@Tantallum wrote:

Do you use a primer before foundation?  if so, what type of primer and is it powder or liquid foundation?

I sometimes wear IT celebration (powder) and other times I wear a liquid.  I wish my skin would look as good at the end of the day as it does when I first put my makeup on. 

For primers I've tried the classic Smashbox ($), the IT number 50 ($$) and Hourglass veil ($$$) and they all work great with my liquid foundation but I have to say I think the powder/celebration foundation wears better with no primer. 

Curious on others' experience Smiley Happy

I would think the purpose of a primer is to go on first so, yes, primer then foundation. I've never heard of putting a primer on afterwards. Kind-of defeats the purpose. 

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

@ID2  Try it, you'll like it!

Respected Contributor

I've used Laura Geller's Spackle primers for years. There are a number of formulas, all are a type of gel. They all help my makeup last longer and look fresh all day (I do have to blot oil sometimes, though). They work with either liquid or powders. My personal favorite is the Neutralizer Spackle...it helps even out my skin tone a bit, even before I put on foundation.

Honored Contributor

I use Laura Geller Spackle with moisturizer and then powdered foundation most of the time. Occasionally for special occasions I use liquid foundation.I always use L'Oreal true match foundation in powder or liquid. The best foundation I have ever found at any price and , hurray, it is inexpensive.

Contributor

I use Murad Ultra Blur - best on the market - expensive but your skin looks radiant and smooth all day long!  I finish with Avon's makeup setting spray - look the same in the evening as the morning!

Honored Contributor

yes, i always use primer before foundation.

i actually use a double primer......either smashbox photo finish primer or the lancome la base primer. then on top of that i use the spray smashbox primer water.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

Just like @Dusty1, I have oily, combo, aging, sensitive, easily-breaksout skin.  My makeup used to slide off my face by noon, so I used gobs of powder to keep everything in place.  Not a good look.  Then, I started using primer and my makeup stayed fresh and in place all day long.

I have a few favorite primers - and some primers mix better with one foudation more than others.   Right now my absolute favorite, can't live without, primer is "Mally Perfect Prep Neutralizing Primer."  It camoflages my acne scars and sunspots nicely prior to applying foundation.   I also use a couple drugstore brands:  L'oreal and Cover Girl.   You need to find which primer works best for you and with which foundations.   Good luck!

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

No, I don't use a primer. I have normal to dry skin and I don't have issues with large pores. If you have a good foundation for your type of skin, it should not fade or "disappear", even without a primer.  I have tried many many primers and have never had any do anything special for me or make a difference. Many are too slick and slippery feeling too (Laura geller, smashbox to name a few) and I don't like that feeling on my skin. That is one step I am happy I don't have to worry about- I like streamlined routines.

Honored Contributor

Anyone who watched the recent BB presentation learned that all BB moisturizers have built in primers, so I'm all set for foundation after that step.