Highlighted
Contributor

Pre-Coty Philosophy vs. Coty Philosophy. What's the difference?

Hey guys. I've mentioned quite a few times on these boards that I am relatively new to Philosophy (started using in mid-July) and read a lot about people saying they prefer Philosophy before Coty took over.

I'm just wondering what the differences are. I do know, from what many have said, that the Grace scents are different and smelled better prior to the company takeover, but are there any other differences? I'm curious. Also, when did Coty buy out Philosophy?

New Contributor

Re: Pre-Coty Philosophy vs. Coty Philosophy. What's the difference?

The sale was finalized in 2011.  I do agree that Falling in Love seems to have changed.  I don't like it anymore. Haven't noticed a difference in the others, personally.

Occasional Contributor

I use Pure Grace Body Wash, Body Lotion, Body Spray, scent, and spray body oil. I also use the Miracle Worker line of cleanser, retinol pads and moisturizers, Hope is not enough serum, hope i a tube and the exfoliating mask. I have not noticed a difference in the products I use since Coty took over.

Respected Contributor

I am a long time Philosophy user. To me, the core fragrances are as good now or better than when I first started using them. The recent whipped body cremes are the best. What has changed, in my opinion is the unique marketing that Cristina used. She had a gift that has not been matched. I miss the 3 in 1's that were available at that time, such as Black Licorice, Blueberry Cobbler are examples.

Super Contributor

I have been using Philosphy for about 3 to 4 years.  I love the Amazing Grace, however the scent does not seem to last.  I just purchased the Summer Grace (my favorite)  recently from Q (the only place I can find it) I have not seen it in Saphora or Macy's for at least 2 years.  I do find that the fragrance does last.  I had to get use to the scrub.  Not sure why there is no 3 in 1 in summer grace, not sure why it is unavailable in stores.  Also I see that summer grace is no longer available on Q either.  Tissyann, I had no idea they had all the different fragrances you mentioned.  Too bad they do not have them now.  The ones on Q are available at Saphora, however although nice I do not like them enough to purchase.

Frequent Contributor

i use most of the product and never feel any difference

Contributor

I WAS an Amazing grace fan, used it for years but after Coty bought the company to me the fragrance is just not as strong nor does it last. Many other ladies have noted it on QVC's product reviews, It has also been noted on the Philosophy/Coty website reviews, Ulta and Sephora but nothing has changed. I called Coty and the customer rep reported many complaints but no plan to change. To each her own but I will no longer purchase Amazing grace. I tried the lotion purchased from Ulta to see if there was a difference from a store vs buying on QVC thinking maybe the scent was not as strong due to being able to buy larger sizes and a better value from QVC but no difference. The lotion smelled old and kinda musty after putting it on.  I have since found a beautiful soft smelling fragrance called Chloe Love and it lasts.  Coty I believe has also dropped Eternal Grace which I also loved but I still have a 32 oz shower gel and lotion I have had for years and it smells the same. It is wonderful. I only use it for special occasions to make it last, original scent, wonderful fragrance.     

Super Contributor

i haven't had too many issues with changing scents, though i am not a regular amazing grace buyer. the last ag bottle i have is perfume from pre coty days. some of the ways i've noticed formulations changing are with shower gels...the cinnamon buns and pure grace that i've gotten post-coty are not quite as rich as they used to be...the pure grace was changed from a shower cream to a 3 in 1 so that could be why. there used to be a different recipe on the cinnamon buns bottle but i don't know if that has anything to do with its contents. the baby grace 3 in 1 used to be richer, thicker and more pearlescent. pre coty, falling in love moisturizer was a lotion and now it's a firming body emulsion (i liked the lotion too but think this was a positive change). some products that didn't used to contain bht or parabens do now, probably due to some change in preservative guidelines or something. in general, they come out with a lot more products a lot more often but the presentations seem to almost always show the same things. the newer fragrances come out more often and i think are often a little closer to traditional perfumes but whether that's a positive or negative depends on if you like the scent. i agree that there are not as many fun shower gels. they used to come out with new ones a lot and they were all over the place! root beer, squishy red fishy, bubble gum blowout, blackberry lavender vanilla ice cream, etc. there are fewer kits. they used to have so many fun and whimsical kits at reasonable prices that i would get for gifts. the prices keep climbing, they'd stayed fairly static until 2 or 3 years ago. holiday tsvs used to be around $59 before shipping and tax with a one time shipping for unlimited auto-delivery. now they start at around $79 before shipping and tax. that's probably more a qvc thing than coty, but still. there's a smaller philosophy footprint at places like sephora, making some things harder to find. i feel like some of the heart left with cristina but i still really like the philosophy team. i wish the presentations had more variety and that they hadn't gotten rid of eternal grace and scaled baby grace down to practically nothing.

i still love the brand and use it every day. there are still a number of their products that qvc offers at a better deal than anyone else. you can also get great deals on their site with coupons or through the outlet and at places like marshalls, tj maxx, and nordstrom rack.

Valued Contributor

I loved Falling In Love.  I used it for years.  I was on several different AD's for FIL.  Then I got a kit, and the scent was different, and lasted for only about an hour.  I thought I got a bad batch, so I returned and re-ordered.  Same problem.  They ruined a good thing.  It wasn't broken, but they "fixed" it anyway.  

Thanks to some really nice ladies here, who helped me find a similar scent, I now use Trish McEvoy #9.  

If you want to change the tenor of your interactions, you must become aware of the impact of your words...Karen Casey

Let's Stay in Touch

* *You're signing up to receive QVC promotional email.
Connect with Us

The scoop on everything Q, from helpful tips to interesting tidbits, questions, answers, and more.

QVC is not responsible for the availability, content, security, policies, or practices of the above referenced third-party linked sites, nor liable for statements, claims, opinions, or representations contained therein. QVC's Privacy Statement does not apply to these third-party web sites.

© 1995–2015 QVC, Inc. All rights reserved. Trademark Notice

Desktop View Mobile View