Valued Contributor

Please help this 64 year old choose a concealer ....or not

I have dry skin with no dark circles or puffiness under my eyes, thankfully. I DO have some wrinkles of course. (I wear glasses so under my eyes is sort of covered up).   Do I need a concealer?  I blend my foundation around and under my eyes. If you think I might need one, what would you suggest? (drugstore please). Thanks! 

Honored Contributor

Re: Please help this 64 year old choose a concealer ....or not

Concealer is for dark spots.   You really don't need one (lucky girl!).    You might want to try a highlighter (eyeshadow)  if you think your glasses cast shadows on your face.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@chihuahuamom

I agree - you don't sound like you need one.  I think most concealers just end up making lines and wrinkles look more pronounced.  At least that's been my experience.  Of course, I'm sure no authority!!!  I tink if a person has dark circles, then concealer is worth trying, but since you don't have this issue, I think what you are doing is fine. You must have good genes!!   

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Esteemed Contributor

I agree 100% with Angelpuppy. Most concealers makes lines more obvious. One big exception: the Bare Mineral liquid serum concealer. It is one of the very best I've tried---and I've tried them all! I have dark circles (genetically) and I've even tried the $70 one that magazines rave about. Waste of money.  The bare minerals one is so very good, I secretly want to hoard it in case they discontinue it. Loreal True Match concealer is my 2nd favorite.

Honored Contributor

Sounds to me like you need a better moisturizer for your eye area rather than a concealer.  

Respected Contributor

I agree with others, that it doesn't sound like you need one! I'm 61 and gave up on concealers a long time ago. Every one I tried settled into lines, and none of them covered my few "issues" any better than just foundation--unless I plastered the concealer on so thick that it looked cakey!

Honored Contributor

@Pianomama wrote:

I have dry skin with no dark circles or puffiness under my eyes, thankfully. I DO have some wrinkles of course. (I wear glasses so under my eyes is sort of covered up).   Do I need a concealer?  I blend my foundation around and under my eyes. If you think I might need one, what would you suggest? (drugstore please). Thanks! 

I hate you! Smiley LOL

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Pianomama wrote:

I hate you! Smiley LOL

I second that, LOL! @chihuahuamom, I'm 60 1/2 and I do have dark circles and some tiny fine lines and some concealers can accentuate creypiness and make the under eye area look like dried out & cracked mud if you know what I mean. While I have not found a concealer that works miracles on my dark circles, I look for concealers that are somewhat emollient & moisturizing. I'd suggest trying some out before buying. One of my favorites is La Prairie's Light Fantastic Brightening eye treatment. It's a click pen highligter/concealer but it also works as an eye treatment. It's not cheap at $80 but you get a refill so it really costs $40 for one. The pen does last me a long time. Otherwise, I think you'd be fine just using foundation under your eyes as long as you don't have any darkness and the foundation doesn't irritate the area under your eyes.

QVC lost a lot of my posts too!
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have dark circles, some wrinkles, I'm close to your age, and need a concealer.  I've tried so many, but I LOVE the L'Oreal Visual Lift concealer.  It blends so well onto my skin.  I was reading a blog from a previous model, and she said to go very lightly with concealer around the eye area as we age.  I've done that and my eye area looks better.  If you don't have dark circles maybe you don't need a concealer.