Honored Contributor

Peter Thomas Roth - Instant Firm

I recently received PTR's Instant Firm product and find that it does all that he said it would. Upon reading the reviews for the product, many talked about chalking/white substance when applied, but he addressed that when he mentioned that you need to put a thin amount on or it would appear white; and all you have to do is wipe the white chalky substance off. So that shouldn't be a deterrent.

However, only one of the reviews talked about the same problem I run into...skin care and makeup over the product and that negating what you just firmed up. When I use this product, my facial lines definitely, without exception, tighten up and disappear. Doesn't matter it if it around the eyes, the forehead, or lines from nasal area to mouth; this stuff works! But when I put on my liquid treatments/serums, that dissolves the tightening effect and I'm almost back to square one.

Do any of you using this product have the same problem; and if so, what are you doing to counteract it? I remember him saying to "pat" your makeup on, so I make sure I'm not rubbing my skin care and makeup product nto my skin too hard. But it is hard not to do some rubbing in the areas where his product has been applied.

I would love to keep using this product, but if putting any type of liquid on (after the initial five-minute dry time) makes the tightening effect go away, I will only be able to use it when I'm not using treatments and serums. Which means no one but me sees how great I look! ha!

Would love to get some feedback on this.

Honored Contributor

Re: Peter Thomas Roth - Instant Firm

Have you tried doing your other products first and then applying the Firm X over them?

Honored Contributor

I recently tried SSC Instatox, and got the same results, the results were quite good until I applied makeup and primer. Cant hurt to try to apply it over makeup and see what happens, but that is not how it is instructed to use. You can also try SSC Firm A Face, Jen says this can be mixed with a liquid foundation and applied that way.

Honored Contributor

@World Traveler  I remember when this first came out and all the reviews complained about the very thing you are saying- that as soon as you put makeup on over it, the effects go away. But now it appears they reset the ratings (they sometimes do this I noticed, especially if reviews aren't that favorable) and you are not seeing those reviews.

I think it is disingenuous that he does not make it clear that you really cannot put certain makeup over it or it will go away. It really is not meant to be used with makeup, at least not liquid or cream makeup. Some have found success with powder makeup but not everyone likes powder makeup. Men really like it because, well, for the most part they do not use makeup and women that don't really wear foundation (at least liquod or cream) like it too but for women that use cream and liquid makeup, it is a big fail.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I used to use Bare Minerals and now use IT Cosmetics. Think I will try going back to the powder cosmetics and see how that works.

Also, want to try the suggestion about putting it OVER my liquid treatments/makeup, even though he says to put it first on your skin.

I use mostly Perricone skin care products, and if you have ever watched the presentations, you know that Dana usually tells you to rub his products into the skin. Sometimes she is really rubbing hard on the models. I frequently wonder if that extra hard rubbing isn't worse for your wrinkles! Smiley Sad

Thanks to all for your replies. Very helpful!!

Honored Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

I recently tried SSC Instatox, and got the same results, the results were quite good until I applied makeup and primer. Cant hurt to try to apply it over makeup and see what happens, but that is not how it is instructed to use. You can also try SSC Firm A Face, Jen says this can be mixed with a liquid foundation and applied that way.

Thanks! Another helpful suggestion. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Okay, I took your suggestions and went with it. 

This morning I put everything else (serums, treatments, moisturizers, etc.) on first and made sure they had time to dry. Then I put on the instant firm product, instead of doing it first like recommended by the vendor. Gave it the required five minutes to dry. It worked!! Then I made sure I only used powder products (foundation, blush, bronzer, etc.) after that so I wouldn't dilute the firming product. 

The only thing I noticed that I need to be careful with next time is to not over apply the instant firm product after my liquid items. It reacts a little differently when not directly on my skin. Not a problem though. Just need to ensure it is applied very thin so it does not leave a white residue, which was not a problem when I did it before the serums/treatments.

I must say, all of you on the forum are the go-to people for solutions! Why check anywhere else for answers to my questions? Smiley Tongue

Respected Contributor

@World Traveler wrote:

Okay, I took your suggestions and went with it. 

This morning I put everything else (serums, treatments, moisturizers, etc.) on first and made sure they had time to dry. Then I put on the instant firm product, instead of doing it first like recommended by the vendor. Gave it the required five minutes to dry. It worked!! Then I made sure I only used powder products (foundation, blush, bronzer, etc.) after that so I wouldn't dilute the firming product. 

The only thing I noticed that I need to be careful with next time is to not over apply the instant firm product after my liquid items. It reacts a little differently when not directly on my skin. Not a problem though. Just need to ensure it is applied very thin so it does not leave a white residue, which was not a problem when I did it before the serums/treatments.

I must say, all of you on the forum are the go-to people for solutions! Why check anywhere else for answers to my questions? Smiley Tongue

this is good to know.  thanks for posting your results!!