Honored Contributor

Re: Paula's Choice Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Liquid Exfoliant

[ Edited ]

@K9buddy  I don't use this but the application seem similar to how I apply my first essence and some serums.   Put a little in the palm of your hand, put your hands together and then pat and press the product onto your face.   

Valued Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@K9buddy  I don't use this but the application seem similar to how I apply my first essence and some serums.   Put a little in the palm of your hand, put your hands together and then pat and press the product onto your face.   

That's it exactly. I find this product has a slippery consistency making it easy to apply in this manner. 

Super Contributor

I've been using this product for a couple of years. I like how it keeps my acne prone skin clear and it works great under my makeup as a primer. BHA has always bothered my nails, so I spread several drops over my face, throat and decollete with a fan brush.

I also use a Clarisonic twice a day and Retin A .05 at night. But no product is perfect for everyone. I suspect that because I have cystic acne, I have thicker skin to begin with. 

Respected Contributor

I've been using the one from her Clear line which is also 2% BHA but it leaves less of an oily residue. 

I mix a few drops into my morning moisturizer and using it twice a day one bottle has lasted me about a year or more. I'm still using the same bottle I began using in July 2014 when I went to live abroad. 

I've never had irritation from it but I have oily skin. However, with any AHA or BHA product, it's important to begin to use it gradually especially if you have sensitive skin or have never used it before. I would suggest to try using it only 2-3 times a week mixing it in with your moisturizer. It does'nt have to be put directly on your face for it to be effective IMO. 

~Live with Intention~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@K9buddy wrote:

Because the product is so watery, how are you able to spread it all over your face with just a few drops?  It sinks in too quickly to be able to spread it.  

I use my palms, as others have mentioned, and quickly pat it all over --  or occasionally a cotton round. Either works, but you probably waste less by putting a little in your palms.

It does also come in a liquid or gel, though, if someone prefers those textures.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@NycVixen wrote:

I've been using the one from her Clear line which is also 2% BHA but it leaves less of an oily residue. 

I mix a few drops into my morning moisturizer and using it twice a day one bottle has lasted me about a year or more. I'm still using the same bottle I began using in July 2014 when I went to live abroad. 

I've never had irritation from it but I have oily skin. However, with any AHA or BHA product, it's important to begin to use it gradually especially if you have sensitive skin or have never used it before. I would suggest to try using it only 2-3 times a week mixing it in with your moisturizer. It does'nt have to be put directly on your face for it to be effective IMO. 

Just an FYI: I've posted the technical stuff about this before, but you would get the most benefits from your BHA if you apply it clean skin and then wait at least 15 minutes, preferably 30 minutes, before applying any serums or moisturizers.

In a nutshell, the acid is pH-dependent. You don't want anything to interfere with that. If you're interested, let me know and I'll re-post the information in its entirety.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

Thanks all.  I was trying to spread it with my fingers.  

Trusted Contributor

I use this 2% BHA lately for all skin types. I think it works better then an AHA and read that it does help more for collagen building. I do worry about my fair skin and use a 50 SPF daily lots of it! and a 30 if doing hardly anything outside and always a mineral ss with this...it's so vital when we use this.
I was wondering though if anyone else here feels it's a bit tackyvon the skin afterwards? like a residue on the skin? I don't like that feeling and wondered if some ingredient in it does this? like glycerin perhaps? b/c it broke me out a bit on my forehead a few times (I never break out) BTW I'm 58 - however after hour or so the tacky feeling does go away but not always. I think on my dry skin it may not work as well as her combo/oily liquid. I wonder if it's just me as there's no mention of this on boards or reviews of a tacky feeling residue. TY

My son went to Heaven 4/15/2018
I love and miss him so very much. God Bless you my dear Nicky
Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@NycVixen wrote:

Just an FYI: I've posted the technical stuff about this before, but you would get the most benefits from your BHA if you apply it clean skin and then wait at least 15 minutes, preferably 30 minutes, before applying any serums or moisturizers.

In a nutshell, the acid is pH-dependent. You don't want anything to interfere with that. If you're interested, let me know and I'll re-post the information in its entirety.

@suzyQ3 Thanks for the info. I've been aware of this and used to apply it first but I found that mixing it with my moistuizer gave me the same exact result and it was actually easier to apply. 

At night, when I use PC's 8% AHA, I do use it first and then wait to apply my moisturizer. However, it is advisable for the OP to mix it with a moisturizer until she gets used to it. I also use PC's Clinical 1% retinol and it advises on the bottle to use it 3 times a week or mix it with a moisturizer until you can use it everyday. 

~Live with Intention~
Respected Contributor

I have sensitive, fair skin and use the 2%, 4%, and 9% BHA gel/foam/liquid. I use the 2% gel just on my oily T-Zone for acne and pores. I use it only at night. I do 4% about once a week and the 9% as a spot treatment for my hormonal acne, but with the addition of her vitamin C, 15% and 25% that has reduced my acne. I use the 15% all over in the morning, either alone or mixed with her antioxidant serum, and spot treat some dark sun spots/acne scars with the 25%.

I would reduce the frequency of use and only target the areas that need it. You may also need to use 1% or even switch to AHA. Call her CS line and tell them your issue. They will fix it. Retinol doesn't seem to work well with my eczema, but the BHA and vitamin C doesn't bother it.