Esteemed Contributor

Paula's Choice Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Liquid Exfoliant

I ordered and received the Paula's Choice Skin Perfecting Liquid Exfoliant.  I used it according to directions on the bottle - I used it 2X in 3 days.  My face developed a red, burning rash.   It's now 4 days later and I still have the rash, but it's disappearing a little bit every day.  My complexion will be back to normal soon.   I must have been allergic to something in the liquid....??  maybe...? .

If you can use this liquid exfoliant with success, good for you.  Please let us know if you like it.  It seems like a wonderful idea - it just didn't work for me.

Smiley Happy

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Paula's Choice Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Liquid Exfoliant

I had the same reaction.  Red rash for 2 days.  Too bad since everyone was so enthusiastic about it.  

Esteemed Contributor

I'm happy to hear it happened to someone else -- even tho I'm sorry you got a rash on your face.  I hope it healed quickly. 

I tried to leave this information in a product review.  No matter how I worded my review, QVC rejected it.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Esteemed Contributor

Let's try this again. I wrote a long response and it just disappeared.

I have been using the product for about three weeks. I noticed the first time that I applied it that I had a stinging almost burning sensation on my face. I understood than that it would be too strong for my skin so I  only apply once a day, at night.

I never experienced the soft skin that so many reviewers have mentioned but I would say that my pores on my cheeks have improved, and I had three frown lines on my forehead and only one of them is as noticeable to me.

I am not sure that I would repurchase. It's $28.00 for 4 oz. and the consistency is so thin that it get's used up quickly. If they make this in a SS, to make it more economically friendly than I would be all in for another purchase. If not, than I am highly doubtful.

Honored Contributor

My face got really red, irritated & dry patches from using it. I did not think I had sensitive skin. I had to use Isomers Pro Lipid Serum & Copper P to settle my skin down. Now I'm using it for spot treatment for acne. I do use it all over my face but only once or twice per week for now. I cut one of those cotton rounds in half & put some on it to apply lightly to my face.

Honored Contributor

@icezeus wrote:

Let's try this again. I wrote a long response and it just disappeared.

I have been using the product for about three weeks. I noticed the first time that I applied it that I had a stinging almost burning sensation on my face. I understood than that it would be too strong for my skin so I  only apply once a day, at night.

I never experienced the soft skin that so many reviewers have mentioned but I would say that my pores on my cheeks have improved, and I had three frown lines on my forehead and only one of them is as noticeable to me.

I am not sure that I would repurchase. It's $28.00 for 4 oz. and the consistency is so thin that it get's used up quickly. If they make this in a SS, to make it more economically friendly than I would be all in for another purchase. If not, than I am highly doubtful.

Interesting- one bottle lasts me 6 months using it every morning. I don't use a cotton pad though, just apply a few drops in my and pat on my skin. How fast did you go through the bottle?

Also, people should not be using a ton of it, just a few drops for the entire face and neck. Any more that that and I could definitely see some irriation and issues occurring. I have normal to sensitive skin and I prefer the anti-redness 2% BHA. I haven't use the one mentioned in several years

Honored Contributor

I have very sensitive skin, particularly after going through some treatment for actinic keratoses.

I didn't think that AHAs would be a good idea, so a couple years ago I used PC's BHA lotion in the 1 percent formula. I never experienced any problems. I don't recall why I stopped using it, but about a month ago I started with the 2% liquid. I use it just at night. I think sometimes I use too much, but fortunately, I've not had any adverse reactions. I do think that it helps even out my skin tone and help the texture of my skin.

Not every product, though, works or is okay for every person. You could call and tell them what happened. They may suggest switching to the 1 percent. If you bought it through PC, they would gladly exchange or do a refund.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Valued Contributor

This product might be too much for your skin. At first I started to peel with this but then started to use 2 drops in my hand for my entire face. This worked perfectly. No more dryness and no tacky feeling. She does have a milder version on her website under the Resist line and acne line. You could get some samples and see if these work out better for you. The 1% lotion is good too, I've use this in the past before moving up to the 2%. Good luck!

Honored Contributor

It made my oily acne prone skin slightly pink, but it faded quickly. I used it for over a year and liked it. I switched to the Pore Refining 2% when it debuted which is gentler but still effective for me. 

Trusted Contributor

Because the product is so watery, how are you able to spread it all over your face with just a few drops?  It sinks in too quickly to be able to spread it.