Trusted Contributor

Paula's Choice Matte Eye Palette

This new palette is up on the PC website. I was interested until I read the ingredient list:

Product Ingredients:

Talc (texture enhancer/absorbent), Mica (texture enhancer/mineral pigment), Magnesium Stearate (binding/anti-caking agent), Dimethicone (silicone-based texture enhancer), Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Polybutene, Synthetic Wax (binding agents), Mineral Oil (texture enhancer), Methylparaben, Propylparaben (preservatives), Iron Oxides (cosmetic pigment).

Talc? Mineral Oil? Parabens? I was quite disappointed and surprised to see this from a company that scrutinizes everyone else's ingredients. I'll stick with the IT Cosmetic shadows.

Respected Contributor

Re: Paula's Choice Matte Eye Palette

And that is the great thing about having options! I have almost purchased the IT palette many times, but felt that several of the shades wouldn't suit me.
Super Contributor

Mine is due to arrive tomorrow, you can look up those ingredients on her site and read research. I can't wait to try this palette. I thought her previous shadows were great ( from years ago). Wayne Goss assisted with this palette and I love his work. I hope they decide to work together on more palettes in the future.

Super Contributor

The ingredients don't bother me, many reliable sources say that tiny amounts of parabens (and certainly talc and mineral oil) are fine. I'm far more disturbed by the mica shimmer brick that's included in the matte shadows. It seems to me that it's an attempt to make the 'matte' product have univeral appeal for those who want shimmer. The sparkly stuff is going to travel into the matte shadows even if you're careful. So many products are advertised as matte but still have some degree of luminescence, have you noticed that?

The Physician's Formula Quad is truly matte, but getting harder to find. Anyhow, I think Paula should have left the shimmer brick out and allowed these shadows to be truly matte if they're going to be advertised that way, there's already enough shimmery shadow on the market!

Trusted Contributor

On 3/2/2014 FUTURE said: And that is the great thing about having options! I have almost purchased the IT palette many times, but felt that several of the shades wouldn't suit me.

I agree, options are great thing, and we have many. My post was more focused on the quality of the ingredients, not so much the shades. I do have the IT matte palette, and find some of the shades are not the best for me. I do love the trios - Pretty in smoke and plum. IT uses no talc, parabens or mineral oil (a petroleum byproduct). I like the Paula's Choice shades, but do not want these ingredients around my eyes. To each his own.

Respected Contributor

On 3/2/2014 4doggies said:

The ingredients don't bother me, many reliable sources say that tiny amounts of parabens (and certainly talc and mineral oil) are fine. I'm far more disturbed by the mica shimmer brick that's included in the matte shadows. It seems to me that it's an attempt to make the 'matte' product have univeral appeal for those who want shimmer. The sparkly stuff is going to travel into the matte shadows even if you're careful. So many products are advertised as matte but still have some degree of luminescence, have you noticed that?

The Physician's Formula Quad is truly matte, but getting harder to find. Anyhow, I think Paula should have left the shimmer brick out and allowed these shadows to be truly matte if they're going to be advertised that way, there's already enough shimmery shadow on the market!

I will say, I think the great thing about one shimmer color is that, for people like me (who generally wear shadows with sheen or shimmer), will be able to take this palette with them when traveling and do a TON of looks. I think it makes it much more versatile. Smiley Happy
Honored Contributor

On 3/2/2014 Canada61 said:

Mine is due to arrive tomorrow, you can look up those ingredients on her site and read research. I can't wait to try this palette. I thought her previous shadows were great ( from years ago). Wayne Goss assisted with this palette and I love his work. I hope they decide to work together on more palettes in the future.

Please let us know what you think! There are a handful of reviews already online (been online for a few months now) and they are all positive. The colors are beautiful! I can't wait to get mine!

Honored Contributor

This palette is PC's answer to UD Naked Basics, but with more colors, especially more darker shades, which were woefully absent in the UD version.

So that's probably the reason for the one "demi-matte" shade. UD did the same thing. I have that palette, and mine doesn't travel at all.

Interestingly, that demi-matte shade in my UD palette has become of my all-time favorites. I can use it to soften the overall look. And I always put a bit on the center of my eyelid right near the lash line. It opens up the eye, which is a good thing as we age.

As for the ingredients, no problem with them as far as I am concerned. My most beloved eye shadows are from Laura Mercier. I always go back to them. And they are talc-based -- as smooth and finely-milled as can be.

I have no problem either with mineral oil as an ingredient. It's almost at the end of the deck anyway and is there as a "texture enhancer."

Parabens, IMO, have received an undeserved bad rap. PC doesn't use them often, so my guess is that they decided that they were the best choice here for a preservative. Since there is no credible information that they are in any way harmful, I do not avoid them.

Besides, they would be in such a minuscule amount here that even if I did believe all the hoopla, I don't think I would be concerned.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

On 3/2/2014 suzyQ3 said:

This palette is PC's answer to UD Naked Basics, but with more colors, especially more darker shades, which were woefully absent in the UD version.

So that's probably the reason for the one "demi-matte" shade. UD did the same thing. I have that palette, and mine doesn't travel at all.

Interestingly, that demi-matte shade in my UD palette has become of my all-time favorites. I can use it to soften the overall look. And I always put a bit on the center of my eyelid right near the lash line. It opens up the eye, which is a good thing as we age.

As for the ingredients, no problem with them as far as I am concerned. My most beloved eye shadows are from Laura Mercier. I always go back to them. And they are talc-based -- as smooth and finely-milled as can be.

I have no problem either with mineral oil as an ingredient. It's almost at the end of the deck anyway and is there as a "texture enhancer."

Parabens, IMO, have received an undeserved bad rap. PC doesn't use them often, so my guess is that they decided that they were the best choice here for a preservative. Since there is no credible information that they are in any way harmful, I do not avoid them.

Besides, they would be in such a minuscule amount here that even if I did believe all the hoopla, I don't think I would be concerned.

I agree with you on the talc front. I generally tend to avoid talc based products because they often look chalky and cakey and awful. BUT, when done well, they are just as good as any non-talc based product, and often better. It is all in the quality and I suppose the milling process they use and, of course, the combination of the other ingredients used.

Honored Contributor

On 3/2/2014 HappyDaze said:
On 3/2/2014 suzyQ3 said:

I agree with you on the talc front. I generally tend to avoid talc based products because they often look chalky and cakey and awful. BUT, when done well, they are just as good as any non-talc based product, and often better. It is all in the quality and I suppose the milling process they use and, of course, the combination of the other ingredients used.

I had also meant to address the OP's statement that " I was quite disappointed and surprised to see this from a company that scrutinizes everyone else's ingredients."

Maybe it's just I am very familiar with her analyses and philosophy when it comes to scrutinizing ingredients. She doesn't jump on the "evil" or "toxic" bandwagons. She has excellent facts and citations to support her stances.

You can find pages on her site discussing each of the three ingredients (talc, mineral oil, and parabens).

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland