Trusted Contributor

Paula's Choice BHA products - differences?

I'm really enjoying the Paulas Choice skincare I've used and have given several of the samples a good solid try. What I'm having a little trouble figuring out is how the various 2% BHA products differ from one another. I'm referring to the "liquids" not the gels and looking at the Clear 2% BHA, the Resist daily Pore Refining 2% BHA, the Skin Perfecting 2% BHA liquid. I can see some differences in the ingredients but I am not super informed about how these differ in benefit. I know that they have different claims in the description, but don't they all exfoliate, refine pores and help with skin imperfections since they all contain the same % of salicylic acid?

I'm asking here instead of Paulas Choice CS because I feel like they might stick with the "claims" and not the reality. I want a product that does it all and don't want to buy all three lol! Smiley Wink thanks for opinions!
Valued Contributor

Re: Paula's Choice BHA products - differences?

[ Edited ]

This may be of some help:

Youtube

How To Choose the Right Paula's Choice BHA

You'll see "Show more" then you go to any topic

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mrsq2022 wrote:
I'm really enjoying the Paulas Choice skincare I've used and have given several of the samples a good solid try. What I'm having a little trouble figuring out is how the various 2% BHA products differ from one another. I'm referring to the "liquids" not the gels and looking at the Clear 2% BHA, the Resist daily Pore Refining 2% BHA, the Skin Perfecting 2% BHA liquid. I can see some differences in the ingredients but I am not super informed about how these differ in benefit. I know that they have different claims in the description, but don't they all exfoliate, refine pores and help with skin imperfections since they all contain the same % of salicylic acid?

I'm asking here instead of Paulas Choice CS because I feel like they might stick with the "claims" and not the reality. I want a product that does it all and don't want to buy all three lol! Smiley Wink thanks for opinions!

Yes they all do give you the same benefits in terms of what BHA does for the skin- unclogs pores, exfoliate and helps to improve skin tone. The additional ingredients in each one focuses on certain issues/problems.  For example, the RESIST  one has additional ingredients that targets wrinkles/supporting the skin/collagen production.  The Clear regular strength is best for those with more sensitive skin and has additional mild/calming ingredients. It's a pretty minimal ingredient deck BHA product  with the addition of a few anti-irritant ingredients in it to help prevent any irritation sensitive skin people may be susceptible to and sodium hylauronate which is great for helping prevent moisture loss. The skin perfecting has a minimal amount of ingredients without alot of extra stuff in it. I consider it more of just a basic BHA product without all the fluff.

I have tried pretty much all of them over the years and can honestly say I haven't really noticed much difference between them in terms of how it made my skin look but, to me, the differences are in how my skin reacted to each and how they feel on the skin. I apply all of them using a drop or two in my hands and pat on. I do not use cotton pads of balls. Here is my personal breakdown:

Skin Perfecting- tends to be slightly sticky, especially if you use too much.  I find this too heavy these days to use during summer. This is the first one I tried 10+ years ago and used it for many years.

CLEAR anti-redness regular strength- this is the lightest formulation. It feels like light as water going on. This is the one I use mostly these days, especially during summer. It is very lightweight and yet still does an amazing job.

RESIST- this one is a bit inbetween CLEAR and SKin perfecting in terms of consistency/feel on the skin. Unfortunately, with this one, it would cause me to get a pimple or two after awhile even though I am NOT prone to breaking out and BHA is suppose to prevent breakouts, lol. It has alot of great anti-aging ingredients but I just can't use it.

HTH!

Trusted Contributor

This helps VERY much. I really appreciate hearing your experience with these products. I have the perfecting gel (not really my favorite texture under makeup) and both of the Clear formulas - both extra strength and regular strength. I feel like the regular strength Clear formula works really well, makes my skin smooth and refines my pores. I tried a sample of the Resist and was reluctant to reorder the regular strength Clear Anti-redness formula because I felt like I was missing out on some potential benefits from the other formulas. But all I really want is a good BHA to use daily.

I think that I will stick with that regular strength Clear BHA to my daily treatment, and the weekly BHA which I recently ordered as a weekly treatment. There was nothing "wrong" with the regular strength Clear BHA, but I got tempted and a little confused by the other options. I love the weekly treatment BHA. It leaves my skin so smooth. The weekly AHA left my skin looking very refined as well but I loked like I had a very slight flush for the next two days, so I may not leave it on overnight anymore and ease into it.
Honored Contributor

@Mrsq2022 you are welcome. yes I don't really like the gel version of the BHA as, like you mentioned, it doesn't really play nice with makeup and sometimes other skincare. I do like the lotion version and do use it on occasion but it is a bit too heavy for warmer weather and sometimes makes my skin sweat more, almost like it is suffocating my skin (I KNOW skin doesn't technically breathe ladies so please don't post that, lol). It is kind of weird. But during the winter months if my skin is feeling chapped or tight, I will use the lotion.

I know what you mean about feeling like you are losing out on all the other skincare benefits in the other formulas, lol, that is why I suppose I tried the resist one mainly but I get good anti-aging and protective ingredients in my other skincare products so I don't really need my BHA to have them too. So I mainly stick with the CLEAR. I don't know why they call the one "extra strength" when it still only contains 2% BHA, same as the regular. I never did really understand that part.

Anyway, glad you are enjoying the product. I have to say, the BHA product is one I will never be without. I don't have breakouts or oily skin but I can't use AHAs because they are just too harsh for my skin so the BHA fits the bill. I have never used one brand/product for as long as I've  used PC's 2% BHA product so that should be a testament to how much I love it, lol!