Regular Contributor

I'm just trying the Paula's Choice 1% Retinol treatment for the first time and it's really drying my skin out.  I've got dry and flaky patches.  I'm using this every other night as instructed.  My skin is normal and not sensitive.  For anyone that's used this, is this normal?  Is this temporary?  Will my skin get used to this?  I'm afraid to keep using this, I look awful with the dry patches, but I don't want to panic and quit if my skin will adjust to this and the dry/flaky will stop.  Any comments from those who have used this will be very much appreciated!

Trusted Contributor

Re: Paula's Choice 1% Retinol

1% retinol is pretty high for someone who has never used retinol.  I would back off to once a week for a while, then up to 2X week, then up again until your skin has adjusted.  The peeling will eventually stop but it will take a while - as long as several months.   Be sure to moisturize - and use sunscreen every day - even if not in the sun! 

Respected Contributor

The instructions state to use it only 3x per week at first and to mix with moisturizer as needed. This is what I did and I had no issues. I do have oily skin. But I believe taking it slow is what avoided any difficulties. I now use it underneath my eye every day with no problem.

~Live with Intention~
Trusted Contributor

Do you use it by itself or combined w/something else? I had E-mailed a question to customer service as to how often to use it as I already use the 8% AHA gel & don't want to have too much going on. I was told that it's best to combine it with something like a serum or moisturizer. I only use it about twice a week at night & I combine it in my hand with a serum. If I were you, I'd contact customer service & see if they can give you some pointers. Hang in there.

Respected Contributor

I do get peeling from it. I have better results with Paula's Retinol booster.
Honored Contributor

I just switched from using the retinol booster at full strength (1%)  to using this clinical 1% cream.

I've used it twice now and have had no problems. But even though I've been using the other at the same strength, I'm starting out using it just three times per week, per the instructions.

I switched because at full strength the booster is more expensive. CS recommended trying this product.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

1% retinol is way too much for my skin.

I use products with much less than 1% and still have to quit using them at least 10 days before having my eyebrows or upper lip waxed.  I learned that the hard ways some years back when I came away with a painful burn. The burn and the ensuing flakiness did go away, but nothing the retinol does is worth that pain or mess in my opinion. 

Regular Contributor

Thanks for the advice, I'll cut back to a few times a week.  I've used Dr. Gross retinol serum every day for years, so I didn't think switching to this would be that big of a deal.  I thought I'd be used to the retinol somewhat.

Honored Contributor

@Jackyl wrote:

Thanks for the advice, I'll cut back to a few times a week.  I've used Dr. Gross retinol serum every day for years, so I didn't think switching to this would be that big of a deal.  I thought I'd be used to the retinol somewhat.

Wise decision. I think I saw somewhere on the PC site that regardless of whether you've been using a retinol product, you should still start out at no more than three times a week (a pea-sized amount) and gradually work up to every night.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Contributor

I had the same problem but kept with it 3x per week, hoping that once the peeling stopped, I would see results and not be so dry.  Things did not get better until I started mixing the retinol with my moisturizer.  It made a HUGE difference.  I can use it 3 x per week now with no drying or peeling.