Honored Contributor

Re: Pastel hair color anyone?

[ Edited ]

The manager at one of the salons I go to is an older woman (older than me).  She is going gray naturally, but add 'colors' to her hair. 

I personally HATE gray on me, when it's in my roots, I'm in the chair getting it covered up.

However, I can totally see going gray if I could add 'colors' to my hair.  Takes away the ugliness I see in gray (on me!)

Rose gold sounds beautiful.  My Nonni dyed her hair a pinkish blonde that looked so soft and beautiful.  I wouldn't mind looking like her.

I'd have to *up* my Rose Gold jewelry inventory though.Woman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

I think adding a pop of color to your hair is fun and interesting! I'm 61 and just had my hair hightlighted with an ashy blond , a med brown and then a pop of burgandy brown in just a few spots. It looks so pretty!! My hair was a drab mousey brown-grey so this is the pick me up I needed. Had chemo 3 years ago and my hair grew back more grey than my natural light brown. I say go for it--it's only hair and it will grow out!!!

Respected Contributor

Im 65 and totally gray. My hairdreser puts in a few strands of lavender in the front.  It looks great and I get many compliments.  It just adds a touch of something. My hair is short and I just love it.  Never care if its in or out, lol.  I just like it.

Regular Contributor

Thanks, @Carmie! I love silver hair, which is what got me looking. But I fear the gray I have is more the blah variety!
Regular Contributor

@wagirl wrote:

I think adding a pop of color to your hair is fun and interesting! I'm 61 and just had my hair hightlighted with an ashy blond , a med brown and then a pop of burgandy brown in just a few spots. It looks so pretty!! My hair was a drab mousey brown-grey so this is the pick me up I needed. Had chemo 3 years ago and my hair grew back more grey than my natural light brown. I say go for it--it's only hair and it will grow out!!!

I agree! It's fun to do something just a little bit different now and then, right? I hope you're doing well health-wise and enjoying your new look. It sounds great!

Respected Contributor

@Mysticmom wrote:

@MomCat wrote:

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

I think this is for the younger girls - but I did hear it is "out" this year. 

I think that too, but I have to tell you, I was tempted to do it with a temporary color.  I'm glad I came to my senses.  I already color red, so that's enough, and I would hate to think people are pointing at me and saying, look at that old lady nut job.  LOL  I'll file this subject with that other post here talking about the different color finger nails.  I'll let the teenagers have that one too. 

I hear you. But the rose gold is almost a natural shade, just a bit "pastel", so that's what appealed to me. I would go very subtle, maybe just do streaks. The Boost and Burst are true semi-permanent colors so you can wash them out with regular sulfate shampoo 😌

I think you should do it.  You MUST do it.  After all, you're not talking about dying your hair purple!  Can you discuss it with your hairdresser even if you plan to do it yourself?  Have a plan about how you will fix it if it looks really bad before you do it, though.  It's definitely important not to be too far out with the color, but it sounds like something that's just a bit more than natural.

Valued Contributor

I think all those non-natural hair colors are absolutely beautiful.  I love to look at those pictures.  I have a traditional type job though, no way would it fly for me.  Also I would imagine the upkeep requires more effort that say, a hair color a few shades away from one's natural.

I say go for it (and post pics!!) Smiley Very Happy

Esteemed Contributor

I would be careful with those temporary hair colors like Garnier Color Styler that is supposed to wash out after about half a dozen times or so. Those go on like paint but they dry to a glue like finish. I used the bronze one to put in some temporary highlights and couldn't get a comb through my hair where the highlights were. My hair also broke off due to the glue like finish that it left on my hair.

Honored Contributor

I looked up "rose gold" hair color on Pinterest...it's STUNNING!  Go for it! Smiley Happy  I also like the silver/gray/darker gray color.  I like a lot of the pastel colors I've seen.  If I didn't like dark hair on myself so much, I'd try it Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I wear wigs a lot of the time, and I would unhesitatingly color my hair with pastels if I had the chance.

I'd also try "Kelly's" beautiful smoky pewter if I knew of a shop that would do that for me.

There are not many shops in my neck of the woods that will perform that service for women.

I'm well passed "a certain age" but still love to have fun.