Honored Contributor

Parabens, an explanation from a scientist

[ Edited ]

There's a lot of talk about parabens right now and whether or not they're harmful. Lab Muffin is a scientist who also writes a beauty blog and I think she's broken it all down really well in her latest entry.

http://www.labmuffin.com/should-you-be-avoiding-parabens-the-science/

I think it's a worthwhile read.

Super Contributor

Re: Parabens, are explanation from a scientist

I also like The Beauty Brain's blog.

Honored Contributor

So it seems that parabens might not be the evil doers but a necessary way to protect us from dangerous bacteria. The results of her studies leads me to believe that in small amounts they are actually better for our health than bacteria growth.There are always studies and each has their own conclusion and the rules keep changing...who got it right?

Honored Contributor

Thanks for posting the read @ChynnaBlue.

I've never really shied away from parabens because,  being a chemist myself,  I've always understood why they have been added to cosmetics. I feel the same way about chemical sunscreens. I'd rather use them rather than suffer the consequences of not wearing a good sunscreen.

Sometimes when researchers publish their findings about something, it can go like wildfire through the community leading many to jump on that band wagon, giving us a one-sided view.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes, this is what Paula Begoun has been saying all along with many other drs/scientists saying the same. It is a shame at it really reminds me of the autism/vaccine debate. Some people will read a story on Facebook or Natural News though and take it for fact. I really wish people would realize that Natural News is full of bunk science.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

Yes, this is what Paula Begoun has been saying all along with many other drs/scientists saying the same. It is a shame at it really reminds me of the autism/vaccine debate. Some people will read a story on Facebook or Natural News though and take it for fact. I really wish people would realize that Natural News is full of bunk science.

Or just some random other blog with little to no scientific data to back up their fear mongering claims. Google is a help but also, many times, a curse. But then there are those that simply do not put much stock in science and would rather believe one or two shady studies over many, many other sound  studies that basically debunk those other studies. I find it interesting when people will poo poo a mountain of scientific evidence but hold onto an outlier study for dear life! 

now with that said, if people want to personally avoid certain ingredients just to be on the safe side I have no issues with that. It is only when they keep posting and spreading debunked info as fact or info that has no scientific evidence to back it as fact and creating panic and simply  fear mongering.

Honored Contributor

Re: Parabens, an explanation from a scientist

@ChynnaBlue

Thank you for providing a link to an informed article.

My philosophy is to see how something performs for me, but to continue reading up just in case.

Several products I have used successfully for years contain parabens.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Trusted Contributor

@HappyDaze Yes, the study may have been poorly set up. But there is also presenting "facts" out of context and/or wording things in such a way that the reader will be inclined to reach a certain conclusion. And it's often used in an attempt to collect money so that more fear-mongering can occur to collect yet more money.

Honored Contributor

Manuela from Isomers, also a scientist, has said all along there is nothing wrong with parabens, but was avoiding them in order to please her customers.

Trusted Contributor

This seems to be a good place to share this link about the "dangers of water."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dl5GHOWleQI&feature=player_embedded